Weight classes where the Champion is not the best fighter in the division

Kristian82

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What do we think Sherdoggers? Are the Champions of most divisions the best fighter in the division or are they there due to fortunate circumstances? I know a lot of people don't seem Michael Bisping as the best MW, some argue that he isn't even top ten. Are there other weight classes where that is the case?

Personally I'd like to make an argument that the Welterweight division does not have the best fighter sitting at the top. In fact I'd probably put him at number three with Demian Maia at number two. This will hopefully be put to the test soon, but in my mind there is no question who the number one Welterweight in the UFC is - Platinum Mike Perry.

21yLVTU.jpg

I'm sure many will disagree with what I've said here but remember this is an open discussion to talk about weight classes where the champion is not the best fighter - not bash Platinum Mike Perry.

Good question Kristian

Lets see...

I think Cormier is the best HW fighter on the roster, hes not HW champ

Jon Jones best fighter at LHW, hes not LHW champ

Yoel Romero best MW fighter, unless Platinum Mike Perry decides to move up

Platinun Mike Perry best at WW, not champ yet

Platinum Mike Perry best LW fighter if he decides to cut some weight

I dont really watch the manlets anymore not sure about those other divisions

Last edited:
You only mentioned Platinum Mike Perry as best fighter of the Welterweight divison. However, it's common knowledge that he is GOAT of Welter-, Middle-, Light Heavy- and Heavyweight divisions as well.

Your lack of faith in PMP's might is disturbing.

At LHW I think Cormier plays second fiddle to Jones.

At MW I think Bisping loses to Whittaker, Romero, Weidman, Rockhold, Jacare, Gastelum, Mousasi and probably others too but those guys definitely.

At Welterweight I think Rory and Lorenz are better than everyone in the UFC currently.

At Lightweight I think Khabib beats Conor and I feel like a lot of other top guys at least have a 50/50 shot at beating Conor, Conor ducks entire divisions though

I feel Stipe, Holloway, Garbrandt and Mighty Mouse are probably at the apex of their divisions though, Cody vs Dillashaw still needs to happen though to be sure.

Conor at least haven't proved to be the #1 LW yet.

HW - WW have Champions who are not the best fighter in the divisions:

In those divisions, the best fighters are:
HW - Dark Platinum
LHW - JBJ
MW - Rockhard
WW - Platinum Mike Perry

You only mentioned Platinum Mike Perry as best fighter of the Welterweight divison. However, it's common knowledge that he is GOAT of Welter-, Middle-, Light Heavy- and Heavyweight divisions as well.

Your lack of faith in PMP's might is disturbing.
Mike Perry vs Jon Jones at 205 is a tough call for me. Jones has big reach, but Perry could definitely slip inside and get the Tysonesque KO. Ive got this one at 50/50 just because of Jones experience at that weight. If Perry gets a LHW warm up fight against someone like Gus to get his range down and some experience in a match he has no real risk of losing, i think he can take out Jon fairly easily after that. If its Perry first fight at LHW i say its 50/50 between him and Jon

Woodley is perhaps the smartest welterweight ever.

He aligned himself with PMP early to avoid those Platinum problems later.
Mike-Perry_Tyron_Woodley_seminar.jpg

HW: champ- Stipe, best- sea level Cain
LHW: champ-Cormier, best- Jones
MW: champ: Bisping, best-Romero or Whittaker
WW: champ: Woodley, best- Woodley or Maia
LW: champ: Conor, best- Ferguson or Khabib
FW: champ-Holloway, best- Holloway
BW: champ- Cody, best- Cody or Cruz (Dillashaw close behind)
FlyW: champ- Johnson, best- Johnson
WBW: champ- Nunes, best- Nunes
WSW: champ: Joanna, best- Joanna

So in all the mens divisions there are only 2 best champs, and 2 maybes. 4 champs are clearly not the best. Both current womens champs are best.

Back