Warren Buffett's Idiocy on Immigration

Plant Einstein Buffet in the heart of Chicago gang land and see him change his tune. I don't mind only the best citizens from other countries but just anybody is a risk.

These are not jobs generally sought by citizens. Last year, the North Carolina Growers Assn., which helps farmers such as Barr fill out the H-2A paperwork, spent $98,000 on advertising for the 8,000 jobs its members were seeking to fill. Just over 250 U.S. workers applied for the jobs, but 70 never showed up, about 180 quit in the first two days, and just 10 finished the season.

"That's the frustration; the whole program is set up to give preference to U.S. workers," said Lee Wicker, the group's deputy director. "But U.S. workers don't want to do these jobs, and I don't say I blame them."

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-guest-worker-20130331-dto-htmlstory.html#graphic

Its not like they hire illegals because they want to save an few bucks.
Honestly, I feel for them(farm owners and illegal immigrants) but the reality is they need to operate within the law. If that means reforming the guest worker program, I'm okay with that. If it means a radical restructuring of the industry so that the jobs start attracting Americans, I'm okay with that too.

I'm not okay with the status quo of turning a blind eye to the employment of illegal immigrants en mass. Or rather, I understand those who feel that way even though its personally not really high on my list of political priorities.

Well, I was giving Buffett the benefit of the doubt in that sentence. He's either ignorant or a liar. I thought he would prefer to be called ignorant. Although it you think he's a liar, I won't give you a argument.

I have heard that Buffett, early in his adult life, was once a restrictionist and gave money to restrictionist organizations. Bu that would have been back when it was fashionable to do.
He says he believes in immigration, you claim to disagree by saying bla bla bla "Restricted Immigration". That's not a disagreement. What am I missing?

He says he believes in immigration, you claim to disagree by saying bla bla bla "Restricted Immigration". That's not a disagreement. What am I missing?

You're missing quite a bit because you're an idiot.

Buffett's argument is contextualized. Trump is currently cutting back on immigration. Buffett disagrees and cites two immigrant scientists who came to the U.S. in the nineteen-thirties, and who subsequently helped the U.S. develop the nuclear bomb. But both scientists managed to make it to the U.S. at a time when immigration was much more restricted than it is ever likely to be under Trump.

You're missing quite a bit because you're an idiot.

Buffett's argument is contextualized. Trump is currently cutting back on immigration. Buffett disagrees and cites two immigrant scientists who came to the U.S. in the nineteen-thirties, and who subsequently helped the U.S. develop the nuclear bomb. But both scientists managed to make it to the U.S. at a time when immigration was much more restricted than it is ever likely to be under Trump.
It's your job to contextualize it, dummy, and your source doesn't do it. He made a very general statement about his position on immigration. It wasn't any sort of rebuttal to Trump or to any specific argument. Any moron can see that. You're making an argument purely out of triggered emotions.

She could find more but she just doesn't want to pay them what they'd want to work on her farm. So of course, she'd rather throw the Central American immigrants peanuts instead.

But I thought we shouldnt be paying unskilled workers more than minimum wage? Which one is it?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

The argument is Americans are not doing those jobs because those jobs dont pay enough but when people ask for a higher minimum wage its "we shouldnt be paying more than minimum wage for unskilled labor"

The argument is Americans are not doing those jobs because those jobs dont pay enough but when people ask for a higher minimum wage its "we shouldnt be paying more than minimum wage for unskilled labor"
Why are you assuming I hold that position? Show me where I have said this. Perhaps I have said something somewhere that lead you to believe I hold that position on the MW. Or perhaps you erected a strawman of me, assuming my position on another issue based solely on that one comment.

1.- Honest question, have you ever picked a shovel?

2.- How much do you think strawberry pickers earn?

There are companies who are in the process of developing robots that pick strawberries. There are obviously still kinks to work out, censors to identify ripe strawberries and a harvester gentle enough to pick the berries without damaging them, but it's basically a matter of time.

Manufacturing those robots are good jobs but in the long run that production will most likely also become automated. A lot of jobs are going to be automated as time goes on. It would probably be smart to try to get out ahead of that as a nation as much as possible as opposed to carrying on with the status quo of depending on importing people for menial tasks, who may not have jobs going forward. It would serve the interests of Americans in the long run to do so.

Look at the Japanese, they are building robots to perform all sorts of tasks. As the Japanese develope robots to perform an abundance of new tasks and develope wide ranging applications, America and the rest of the world will be buying robots from Japan to play catch up. Not to mention Japan is something like 98% Japanese and even with their low birthrates automation and robotization will give them the chance to weather population decline without risking economic decline or social and cultural turmoil. Or maybe you think the huge divide in our nation is a good thing? Although I guess robots will also lead to unforseen complications.

Last edited:
No idea tbh. Most of what I've personally seen of illegals working in the US is in construction. My dad would hire them for $10/hr. Before he started hiring illegals he would hire legal immigrants for $15-$20/hr IIRC.

In high school I took construction as a class and one day my teacher showed the class what the average brick layer in San Diego county where I'm from made ($18/hour) and what the average brick layer in Massachusetts made ($36/hour). Can you guess why? Now there is a machine that lays bricks. It can work 24 hours straight or more if need be. As time goes on these machines will become better and better, look at a Model T compared to an F-150.

Last edited:
There are companies who are in the process of developing robots that pick strawberries. There are obviously still kinks to work out, censors to identify ripe strawberries and a harvester gentle enough to pick the berries without damaging them, but it's basically a matter of time.

Manufacturing those robots are good jobs but in the long run that production will most likely also become automated. A lot of jobs are going to be automated as time goes on. It would probably be smart to try to get out ahead of that as a nation as much as possible as opposed to carrying on with the status quo of depending on importing people for menial tasks, who may not have jobs going forward. It would serve the interests of Americans in the long run to do so.

Look at the Japanese, they are building robots to perform all sorts of tasks. As the Japanese develope robots to perform an abundance of new tasks and develope wide ranging applications, America and the rest of the world will be buying robots from Japan to play catch up. Not to mention Japan is something like 98% Japanese and even with their low birthrates automation and robotization will give them the chance to weather population decline without risking economic decline or social and cultural turmoil. Or maybe you think the huge divide in our nation is a good thing? Although I guess robots will also lead to unforseen complications.

Who is talking about permanent migration? im talking about the need for a guest worker program, the emphasis on the GUEST part.

My guess is not robots will take over, my guess is that a lot of US farmers are going to go broke and rent their land to do farming that requires little manpower like grains and the such, while most produce will be outsourced to countries like Mexico where labor is cheap.

Who is talking about permanent migration? im talking about the need for a guest worker program, the emphasis on the GUEST part.

My guess is not robots will take over, my guess is that a lot of US farmers are going to go broke and rent their land to do farming that requires little manpower like grains and the such, while most produce will be outsourced to countries like Mexico where labor is cheap.

Once these machines that I'm talking about become more capable, they will begin to be implemented. As they become implemented on a more significant scale the impetus to improve them will also materialize. Just think about the Model T compared to the F-150. In less than one hundred years the common vehicle produced by Ford has been vastly improved.

When machines that pick strawberries are a reality I assume the way in which strawberry fields are planted will change to accommodate the machines that harvest them. This will allow U.S. farmers to continue to grow strawberry crops and other crops as machines for those crops are developed while manuel labor will become less and less a part of the process. I'm in California where there is a huge almond growing industry, almond farmers have machines that shake the trunks of the trees to cause the almonds to fall to the ground and another machine that sucks the fallen almonds up. This process will become more refined over time I'm sure.

At some point Mexico's agricultural industry will also become automated, once again look at how automobiles were assembled 85 years ago compared to today. Even in Mexico, automobile production and assembly is done in an advanced and efficient manner.

Many farmers in the U.S. may grow broke, but in the coming future those with the capitol can purchase the machinery necessary to automate the planting, care, harvesting, and packaging of produce without relying on laborers or much less so. Look at corn farmers with their corn planters and combine harvesters. This will extend to more and more types of crops and industries/occupations overall. If we get out in front of this maybe these hypothetical farmers we are talking about won't go out of business.

Temporary workers in the short term may not cause problems and may alleviate problems but when temporary workers have children in the U.S., which is common, it really complicates the situation. As I've been alluding to, it is predicted that many jobs will lost to automation.

Why are you assuming I hold that position? Show me where I have said this. Perhaps I have said something somewhere that lead you to believe I hold that position on the MW. Or perhaps you erected a strawman of me, assuming my position on another issue based solely on that one comment.

kudos on actually using strawman correctly.

a rarity around here

It's your job to contextualize it, dummy, and your source doesn't do it.

While I'm sure you wake up in a new world everyday, a world in which you need someone to introduce context to you for every question you encounter, smart people don't generally need to do that. They understand context. Buffett knows what he's doing even if you don't.

While I'm sure you wake up in a new world everyday, a world in which you need someone to introduce context to you for every question you encounter, smart people don't generally need to do that.
LOL @ smart people not needing context. God you're dumb.

LOL @ smart people not needing context. God you're dumb.

Learn to read. I said smart people don't need context to be introduced to them, as you just did, because they naturally understand the context. They understand it because they're smart. You don't understand context because you're NOT smart.

Get it know? (No need to answer. That's a rhetorical question. I know you still don't get it.)

Learn to read. I said smart people don't need context to be introduced to them, as you just did, because they naturally understand the context. They understand it because they're smart. You don't understand context because you're NOT smart.

Get it know? (No need to answer. That's a rhetorical question. I know you still don't get it.)
This entire thread is based on you assuming the context with no proof. Just completely worthless.

This entire thread is based on you assuming the context with no proof. Just completely worthless.

No proof? If you know any history and current events, then the context is obvious.

But you're completely oblivious to history. I bet you didn't even know the U.S. restricted immigration in the period from the mid-twenties until the mid-sixties until I told you it restricted immigration. Why? Because you're too stupid to know you any history. Hence, you can't understand context.

Warren Buffet is overrated. He's just jealous that Trump has 10x the charisma, intelligence and business acumen in his pinky than Buffet will ever have.
Warren buffet has more wealth

More wealth is all that matters in terms of effectiveness according to donald

Hence Warren > Donald

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fullmetalharts
Back