Warren Buffett's Idiocy on Immigration

Cold Front

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
From the article: Buffett, Gates have hope for America after Trump Ascension.

[Buffett] also stressed the importance of immigration, a central issue for Trump, whom neither Buffett nor Gates discussed.

Buffett said the country has been "blessed" by immigrants, and might have come out quite different had the physicists Albert Einstein and Leo Szilard not in 1939 urged U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt to develop a nuclear program to counter threats from Nazi Germany.

"If it weren't for those two immigrants, who knows if we would be sitting in this room," Buffett said.

Of course anyone who knows about the immigration history of the United States - which should include Warren Buffett, since he was alive during much of that period - knows that the U.S. heavily restricted immigration from the mid-1920s until the mid-1960s.

chart_immigration_into_us_1820_2010.gif

Both Einstein and Szilard immigrated to the United States during that period of restriction. In other words, the U.S. was capable of making the distinction between immigrants who were very valuable to the country and immigrants who were not. It allowed in, among others, the top physicists in the world, but kept out most others.

Buffett should know that. Szilard immigrated to the U.S. in 1938 when Buffett was eight years old. (Einstein did so in 1933.)

Warren Buffet is overrated. He's just jealous that Trump has 10x the charisma, intelligence and business acumen in his pinky than Buffet will ever have.

Warren Buffet is overrated. He's just jealous that Trump has 10x the charisma, intelligence and business acumen in his pinky than Buffet will ever have.
Shockingly embarrassing post

I'm not even sure what's being discussed here. How does Einstein being an immigrant help your theory TS?

Errr...

We should be taking in Asians. Educated people. People who believe in saving and industry. Let foreigners who graduate here stay.

That's different from letting in war torn, uneducated, ptsd suffering middle aged men.

I'm not even sure what's being discussed here. How does Einstein being an immigrant help your theory TS?
Einstein was an immigrant that came in under a system that was closer to Trump's ideal than Buffet's. Therefore, Buffet's assertion with Einstein as an example lacks credibility.

Einstein was an immigrant that came in under a system that was closer to Trump's ideal than Buffet's. Therefore, Buffet's assertion with Einstein as an example lacks credibility.

Sure, but that doesn't preclude the possibility that less-than famous immigrants have come here in the past and gone on to make radical advancements in their respective fields -- which is Buffett's actual point.

I don't understand how you guys view Buffet as an idiot? Isn't acquired wealth the basis for Trump being seen in a positive light for you guys? Weird thing to say.

Also, a white lady who voted for Trump who owns a farm called in to NPR today to bitch about how stupid Trump is for cracking down on Mexican immigrants, the only people she could find willing to work in her fields.

Also, a white lady who voted for Trump who owns a farm called in to NPR today to bitch about how stupid Trump is for cracking down on Mexican immigrants, the only people she could find willing to work in her fields.
She could find more but she just doesn't want to pay them what they'd want to work on her farm. So of course, she'd rather throw the Central American immigrants peanuts instead.

Those farmers are the ones that Trump's 20% import tax plan with mexico is going to hurt. Not being able to sell corn, beans, etc., to mexico will sink them.

Sure, but that doesn't preclude the possibility that less-than famous immigrants have come here in the past and gone on to make radical advancements in their respective fields -- which is Buffett's actual point.
Sure. However, things were a lot different back then. Now the people wanting to come in come from regions where they stone women, behead infidels, burn apostates and make homosexuals go splat.

It's more than reasonable to be a bit more discerning.

Was this bitch surprised?

She could find more but she just doesn't want to pay them what they'd want to work on her farm. So of course, she'd rather throw the Central American immigrants peanuts instead.
Because if she did that, she'd have a hard time selling her products. It's retarded to not hire illegal immigrants for these fields. We need a bracero program again (that doesn't cost too much), that way we can retain lower prices and still have people working in the fields. I'm pretty sure though that any legal immigrant program is going to be more expensive than an illegal immigrant.

^Exactly.

The aftermath of mass deportation of illegal immigrants is economic collapse.

Sure. However, things were a lot different back then. Now the people want to come in come from regions where they stone women, behead infidels, burn apostates and make homosexuals go splat.

It's more than reasonable to be a bit more discerning.

It is.

I see the refugee issue as a separate issue from immigration in general.

I think it's absolutely reasonable to want to restrict/stop the flow of immigrants from the countries Trump has just singled out. But at the same time, I think we a moral obligation to act. Weighing these two considerations does not have to be a zero sum game. Evidently, it's not a zero sum game to Trump. He wants to create safe zones in Syria, which I think is a great call. But I disagree with shutting out all immigration from the seven countries. I'd rather see it curbed and refugees that are here supplemented with some kind of program that has the dual purpose of monitoring them and helping them find footing in the community.

Back