War Room OT Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else here as confused as I am?

I find it very difficult to verify a news story as legit now. Theres so much bias everywhere I look that nothing seems like a credible story.

in the words of the immortal denzel washington "if you don't watch the news you're uninformed. if you do watch the news, you're misinformed"

Al Madrigal was just on Conan pimping a comedy special called "Shrimpin Ain't Easy". Is he the owner of that old sherdog account or what? Was a good poster as I recall.

Al Madrigal was just on Conan pimping a comedy special called "Shrimpin Ain't Easy". Is he the owner of that old sherdog account or what? Was a good poster as I recall.

Interesting, but almost certainly just a coincidence:

Pretty sure the username was a BJJ reference. And then it just works because it rhymes with "pimpin' ain't easy."

Pretty sure the username was a BJJ reference. And then it just works because it rhymes with "pimpin' ain't easy."

Yeah I assumed it was a bjj reference. I half expected Madrigal to say he's a bjj black belt, but he said it had something to do with his mom and seafood. Was disappoint.

Oh I thought there is some sort of hunt to exposed alt accounts here

Well above I talked to devout pessimist about what he thought of that new account that just started posting in the war room and was banned quickly for being a dup.

The headlines change with each new discussion

Yea when I read the post, I thought he was going to say isn't it cool he made a bjj pun for his specials name. The username is a bjj thing no doubt.

Well above I talked to devout pessimist about what he thought of that new account that just started posting in the war room and was banned quickly for being a dup.

The headlines change with each new discussion

Ah yeah those Trolls they always keep popping up with their alternicks just to troll every thread.

Dammit, got all excited for the weekend, wife will be gone tomorrow night -- steaks ready for the bbq, thinking 211 will be on tomorrow and realize it's next week.

Damn

Dammit, got all excited for the weekend, wife will be gone tomorrow night -- steaks ready for the bbq, thinking 211 will be on tomorrow and realize it's next week.

Damn

Watch the pens decide if they want to put the final nail in the caps coffin.

Watch the pens decide if they want to put the final nail in the caps coffin.

giphy.gif

Damn

Haha. Had something similar when my wife came to my (home) office yesterday, and asked if we were watching the fights tomorrow. I was like, "wait, it's tomorrow?!" Then realized she was talking about Canelo.

What are your picks for 211? I think Yair is the best bet (that is, most underpriced), but it's not much. I think he should be a very slight favorite, but he's a slight underdog. Moderate to small bet there for me. Based on my perception that Frankie is about to hit the wall. Noticeably slowing down with his feet, IMO (though making up for it with more attention to/skill at pocket defense--he used to be good at getting in, landing, and getting out, but terrible at hanging in there, but he's getting worse at the first and better at the second). Really like that fight, though.

I bet on Stipe in his first fight with JDS (saw it as a near-even, lean JDS fight, but the odds were way off that). I mention that because I don't really buy the narrative that JDS is in some kind of big decline (a little past his prime) that I think started with the close first fight. He looked brilliant against Rothwell. On the other hand, I'm always nervous about guys coming off a long layoff.

Last edited:
Haha. Had something similar when my wife came to my (home) office yesterday, and asked if we were watching the fights tomorrow. I was like, "wait, it's tomorrow?!" Then realized she was talking about Canelo.

What are your picks for 211? I think Yair is the best bet (that is, most underpriced), but it's not much. I think he should be a very slight favorite, but he's a slight underdog. Moderate to small bet there for me. Based on my perception that Frankie is about to hit the wall. Noticeably slowing down with his feet, IMO (though making up for it with more attention to/skill at pocket defense--he used to be good at getting in, landing, and getting out, but terrible at hanging in there, but he's getting worse at the first and better at the second). Really like that fight, though.

I bet on Stipe in his first fight with JDS (saw it as a near-even, lean JDS fight, but the odds were way off that). I mention that because I don't really buy the narrative that JDS is in some kind of big decline (a little past his prime) that I think started with the close first fight. He looked brilliant against Rothwell. On the other hand, I'm always nervous about guys coming off a long layoff.

Yeah, was pretty bummed out thinking the best card in a while was not going down yesterday.

I agree with your earlier assessment that Yair v Frankie as a personal main event -- Frankie is my favorite fighter but his style is not conducive to longevity and Yair speed, length and dynamic striking could end up causing problems. Two real ways to beat Frankie is keep him on the outside or try to time him when he darts in and i think Yair could potentially do both. That being said, this is Yair's biggest fight by a mile, he does get too excited and a bit reckless and Frankie mental game and experience is top tier--so this is a toss up for me. I think the currently line favoriting Frankie is accurate but, again, toss up fight.

I think Stipes confidence carries him to a decision win. JDS is super dangerous but when he is not on the attack, that hands down, walk straight back to the cage style is just too glaring of a hole -- Stipe has been on a tear and knows what to expect with JDS. I dont think JDS is on a decline either, i just think he hasnt changed his game and i think Stipe is not going to be gun shy.

but, no one should be surprised if JDS gets the win -- the line is pretty accurate on that fight as well.

No idea who to pick in the maia vs masvidal fight??? I want to say Maia but every fight starts standing....

Last edited:
Yeah, was pretty bummed out thinking the best card in a while was not going down yesterday.

I agree with your earlier assessment that Yair v Frankie as a personal main event -- Frankie is my favorite fighter but his style is not conducive to longevity and Yair speed, length and dynamic striking could end up causing problems. Two real ways to beat Frankie is keep him on the outside or try to time him when he darts in and i think Yair could potentially do both. That being said, this is Yair's biggest fight by a mile, he does get too excited and a bit reckless and Frankie mental game and experience is top tier--so this is a toss up for me. I think the currently line favoriting Frankie is accurate but, again, toss up fight.

I feel pretty confident that if it's a kickboxing match, Yair wins. My fear is something like Yair misses a kick and gets taken down and dominated for a long-enough stretch to lose the round, and that happens twice or Yair is worked over enough to lose in other ways.

No idea who to pick in the maia vs masvidal fight??? I want to say Maia but every fight starts standing....

Very hard for me. I think Maia is like Werdum in that he outperforms expectations often enough that people should change their expectations (not as extreme as Werdum, though). In both cases, I think it's because they're really smart dudes. And I don't really "get" Masvidal. Can't break this one down, but I'm leaning Maia (which would be a very slight upset).

Last edited:
I must be out of touch (well, I know I'm out of touch) but that seems like a tough fight for Masvidal. He's not good enough to get off his back in that fight, which is the biggest problem for him (his takedown defense is very good, but not top class). Maia is also tough to hit and Masvidal is an accumulation guy, which gives more takedown chances. When you compare Maia's likely biggest advantage vs Masvidal's likely biggest advantage, Maia's ends in more finishes, because it's much harder for Masvidal to put him away than for Maia to tear his head off. And though Maia's recent record isn't exactly legendary, he's still on a hellacious tear through solid guys. Masvidal's win against Cerrone is excellent, but it was also a quick turnaround after the holidays for Cerrone. That's probably not the best Cowboy, and it was also a decent matchup for Masvidal. I think that line is way off- it should be -140 Maia's way.

I advise not listening to any of that though.

Hearing that big money has come in on Stipe. Now the biggest liability for the books on the card. Odds should move his way.

Hearing that big money has come in on Stipe. Now the biggest liability for the books on the card. Odds should move his way.

Line is still at -140 which seems right where it should be. How much do think it's going to move?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back