WAR ROOM LOUNGE V17: The Stuff Under Your You-Know-What

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just left the NOLA Horror Film Fest. That shit was creepy as hell. Some really good horror shorts although some are a little too artsy for my taste.

My reaction every time Penn is scheduled for another fight:

tenor.gif

This deserves more than one like.

This deserves more than one like.

It's surreal thinking that his fight against Rory, when I first though "wow, he's really lost it and needs to retire" was six years ago.

It's surreal thinking that his fight against Rory, when I first though "wow, he's really lost it and needs to retire" was six years ago.

Wasn't that at WW? When that happened, all I thought was he shouldn't do WW anymore. Rory outmatched him just in frame alone. He has been done for sometime though. I don't like that he's still going but the Hall fight might be the best match up to make at this point.

Wasn't that at WW? When that happened, all I thought was he shouldn't do WW anymore. Rory outmatched him just in frame alone. He has been done for sometime though. I don't like that he's still going but the Hall fight might be the best match up to make at this point.

I just watched the highlights of his fight with Yair after making that post. Holy shit, that's five rounds of ass whooping packed into two. At the very least, he still has a chin.

I just watched the highlights of his fight with Yair after making that post. Holy shit, that's five rounds of ass whooping packed into two. At the very least, he still has a chin.

That sometimes can be a bad thing for a fighter on the back end of their career. They mistake it for being able to stay around longer. Lebrun absorbed a ton of damage his whole career but he stayed around longer thinking he could keep doing that.

Not sure why UFC is even giving Penn a fight. Is he still a draw after so many years of losing performances? At this point seeing him on a card makes me sad, not super fuckin' psyched like in the past.

Not sure why UFC is even giving Penn a fight. Is he still a draw after so many years of losing performances? At this point seeing him on a card makes me sad, not super fuckin' psyched like in the past.

I think he was on the undercard last fight? I think they are doing it more as a favor at this point. Some fights were to promote younger talent but others were just "oh fuck, he really wants to keep going? Ummm..." This would be one of those matchups.

I think he was on the undercard last fight? I think they are doing it more as a favor at this point. Some fights were to promote younger talent but others were just "oh fuck, he really wants to keep going? Ummm..." This would be one of those matchups.

Is it money or pride that keeps BJ coming back to abuse his fans' loyalty. :eek:

Its really difficult explaining to newish fans just how good Penn was.

Hard work beats talent when talent refuses to work hard - Bj Penn is the first person who comes to mind when I hear that quote

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm still a fan, so I watch him.

After Jon Jones, Penn is the most talented fighter I've ever seen. Kind of unfortunate that we really only saw a well-prepared prime Penn in his fights against Florian and Diego after losing to GSP.

That sometimes can be a bad thing for a fighter on the back end of their career. They mistake it for being able to stay around longer. Lebrun absorbed a ton of damage his whole career but he stayed around longer thinking he could keep doing that.

Lebrun?

After Jon Jones, Penn is the most talented fighter I've ever seen. Kind of unfortunate that we really only saw a well-prepared prime Penn in his fights against Florian and Diego after losing to GSP.

Lebrun?
Lebrun Ghames. A-level athlete from Cincinnati. Surprised you haven't heard of him.

Is it money or pride that keeps BJ coming back to abuse his fans' loyalty. :eek:

Can't speak for him but my guess is he's bored and this is what he's done his whole life and he doesn't want to stop cause he isn't as interested in something else.

Lebrun?

Mobile pwn. Chris Leben

Its really difficult explaining to newish fans just how good Penn was.

Hard work beats talent when talent refuses to work hard - Bj Penn is the first person who comes to mind when I hear that quote
I never quite agreed with this reputation, personally. Yes, he seemed to lack cardio at times, but what I see is a guy that beat Hughes in 2004 and then didn't lose to anyone not named Hughes or GSP until 2010 (not counting the Machida fight, because c'mon). I think the issue was more that people overestimated his potential after the Hughes win and the controversial GSP loss. We were all like, holy shit, he can do anything he wants! But in reality did he have any realistic chance to rule the WW division with his frame? Granted, it's a different story on the backend of his career, maybe.

Bullshit. That goes back thousands of years.
Lack of historical knowledge is such a big problem in a lot of these discussions. They refer to the old days without an appropriate time frame and location. Drives me crazy.

''To the death George! I'm gonna go to the death!''

*4th round bell*

''...nah I'm le tired.''

Since we're downing on ol' BJ, you guys should rewatch Penn-Hughes 1...it has not held up. The movement and jits in that fight is as clunky and outdated as the sound editing from '89 Batman. They're also quite slow. It's not even a good fight by today's standards, despite being a classic that had me leaping through my own ceiling with joy when Penn finished him.

His short run at LW is significantly better. Also, he beat Edgar in that stupid fucking Abu Dhabi event that was one travesty after another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back