Vitor Belfort on TRT: "I want people to know I have a conscience"

To say Vitor didn't win because of TRT you have to ponder if that kick would have fired off as quick. With father time comes the slowing of reflexes. However, let's say it didn't have anything to do with the kick. What about the Jones fight? What about some of his other recent fights. TRT DOES allow him to train harder than if he was not on it, recover quicker, and with his vast experience at his age and now being able to fight "in a younger body" it DOES give him an advantage. Case closed. It's cheating imo...

I think one of the critical issues is defining "normal" testosterone levels.

Among men, most studies report testosterone levels all over the place. So how do you define "normal"? A quick google scholar search has even documented ethnic differences in testosterone levels.

Should a "normal" fighter be allowed to bring his testosterone to the upper limits of what's defined in the rules? Maybe...

I think Sonnen got the same amount of criticism at the time he first got caught.

But also Vitor is one of those vocal god-loving, all praise be to Jesus for all my strength and everyone needs to be a good Christian like me type fighters. If he were less vocal about how god is great (while being mum on how TRT is great), he would have gotten a little less criticism.

You know he's been bust for steroids in the past, right?

To say Vitor didn't win because of TRT you have to ponder if that kick would have fired off as quick. With father time comes the slowing of reflexes. However, let's say it didn't have anything to do with the kick. What about the Jones fight? What about some of his other recent fights. TRT DOES allow him to train harder than if he was not on it, recover quicker, and with his vast experience at his age and now being able to fight "in a younger body" it DOES give him an advantage. Case closed. It's cheating imo...

Exactually. Let's give Ray Lewis some TRT so he can dominate for another 5 years, lets pump Shaq with some TRT get the Diesel back on the court.

Well one of the problems is why Vitor has low t in the first place. It makes no sense to me (and a lot of people) that someone with the past Vitor has, is allowed to use TRT

I don't think it's ok to let someone suffer from a bad condition for the rest of his/her career just because he/she made a mistake in the past, even when this mistake might be the cause of it.

I respect him for coming and saying this but unfortunately the TRT and roids debate is always going to be there when people talk about his legacy.

Much respect for him either way though, I honestly can't think of anyone else who's had such a long ass time on the top of the food chain, roids or not. He's been in top 10 lists since almost the dawn of MMA, and roids can only take you so far.

It's funny how fighters on TRT get shitted on for winning fights. The ones that lose on TRT don't get a second mention.

It's funny how fighters on TRT get shitted on for winning fights. The ones that lose on TRT don't get a second mention.

Thats exactly right. Even worse, the better you win on TRT, the louder the cries.

I don't think it's ok to let someone suffer from a bad condition for the rest of his/her career just because he/she made a mistake in the past, even when this mistake might be the cause of it.

Yeah you spelled CHEATING wrong.

I appreciate the effort, Vitor. Are we willing to forgive the past discretion and allow him to fix what might be a product of that discretion? Or should reap what he sows (sowed?)?

I dunno. As a sports fan, I like watching him. As a fan of competitive integrity, his current course bothers me a little. Am I being fair to him over being perhaps a bit more accepting of Chael or Hendo? Probably not. Maybe I need to get over that.

In any case, I appreciate that Vitor is trying to clear the air a bit here. If he really wants to take it to another level, publish your test results if you can. At least the pertinent information regarding testosterone. If it turns out you're no more hormoned up than someone appropriate your age (hell I'd take even a bit younger), then you have my forgiveness.

Maybe I'll just acknowledge for now that this is a complicated issue and that such quick resolutions aren't in the cards.

You have only Belfort and a doctor who works for an organization set up by the UFC word to go by, no single independent organisation has been involved. The fact he won't even risk applying for TRT exemption in the US shows he is dodgy.

If TRT is so harmless why is it so difficult to get a pass for other sports? The Olympic committee has thousands of athletes world wide yet only ever gave out two passes and one was for a guy who had lost both testicles.

Except that Belfort wasn't prescribed TRT by a doctor from the Brazilian Athetic Commission but received his prescription from a doctor in Vegas. The Brazilian Athletic Commission tested him and gave him a TUE for TRT because their findings must have matched that of Belfort's doctor in Vegas. I think I'll choose to go with findings from medical professionals, the UFC, and what Belfort himself has said instead of just going against what is said because I believe it and have a confirmation bias.

Why would he apply for a TRT exemption in the US if he hasn't had a fight scheduled in the US? That's a dumb question to ask, you don't apply for an exemption unless you're about to fight for that particular Athletic Commission.

yup.

trt puts low levels back to within a normal standard. they are tested to make sure they are within those levels also. given, there is a period of about 24 hours after the injection that numbers are above average, but they level off after that back to within the standard. this is why you wouldn't be able to fight immediately after receiving an injection.

despite what uneducated sherdog experts will tell you.

Do people really not know this? I thought it was global knowledge by now.

Florian spoke about elevated levels during training, thereby, indirectly affecting performance. I was just about convinced by that statement.

However..

If I was able to train a spin kick really well when I am in an elevated state, I am goin gto do as good, if not BETTER, when my levels normalize because of the practice?

LOLWUT?

Yes, that too. As have Sonnen I believe and several others.

Wrong on Sonnen. He cleared up his situation at a SAC hearing. You're going to have to name the other fighters on TRT that have a past of being busted.

no one is denying it.

im talking about how the skills and techniques he has picked up are overlooked and ignored. oh hes on trt so those perfectly executed kicks must have come from that.

if that is the case, im going to go get a trt prescription and be challenging gsp here shortly.

So it makes him better but just not in your 1 narrowly defined way?

Nobody is saying that Vitor is not hugely talented. If it makes him 10% better it is a huge deal.

If you make most minor leaguers 10% better they are major leaguers. If you make a major leaguer 10% better he is an all star. If you make an all star 10% better he is a hall of famer.

Except that Belfort wasn't prescribed TRT by a doctor from the Brazilian Athetic Commission but received his prescription from a doctor in Vegas. The Brazilian Athletic Commission tested him and gave him a TUE for TRT because their findings must have matched that of Belfort's doctor in Vegas. I think I'll choose to go with findings from medical professionals, the UFC, and what Belfort himself has said instead of just going against what is said because I believe it and have a confirmation bias.

Why would he apply for a TRT exemption in the US if he hasn't had a fight scheduled in the US? That's a dumb question to ask, you don't apply for an exemption unless you're about to fight for that particular Athletic Commission.

He wasn't granted an "exemption" by a doctor - he was prescribed Test injections by the doctor. (Go ask your doctor, he'll give it to you, too)

Anything Brasil... well, that's not justifying anything.

He has been denied TUE of TRT in Nevada.

I do.

Sonnen didn't have an exemption and he used a synthetic testosterone before fighting Silva. Pretty open and shut case of him illegally using PEDs for an advantage in his fight against Silva.

So it makes him better but just not in your 1 narrowly defined way?

Nobody is saying that Vitor is not hugely talented. If it makes him 10% better it is a huge deal.

If you make most minor leaguers 10% better they are major leaguers. If you make a major leaguer 10% better he is an all star. If you make an all star 10% better he is a hall of famer.

I wonder what an experienced Barry Bonds would do if put back in his 22 year old body.

Oh wait...

Do people really not know this? I thought it was global knowledge by now.

Florian spoke about elevated levels during training, thereby, indirectly affecting performance. I was just about convinced by that statement.

However..

If I was able to train a spin kick really well when I am in an elevated state, I am goin gto do as good, if not BETTER, when my levels normalize because of the practice?

LOLWUT?

Florian's reasoning is sound. The past builds the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back