(Video) How Conor defends Khabib's takedowns

Watched like thirty seconds of the vide, because although it's cool to watch Conor framing midgets, that shit is less effective against bigger opponents.

Also Conor only frames to prevent the distance closing. Giving an arm to an opponent focusing on a body's lock seems a bit stupid.

MMA math is so pathetically basic

Edit: Watched the whole thing and im even more upset lol. What the actual fuck. Mcgregors going to underhook khabibs ankle level single leg and pull him up to a body lock?
Fuark.

Last edited:
Yes, everyone in that video has Khabib level grappling. BTW, Mendes did take him down.

Conor has 2 rounds to hit his homerun. If it doesnt happen I imagine he will be exhausted from Khabibs pace after not fighting for 2 years.

Good video. Those tactics can work for Conor for the first couple rounds. However unlike his past opponents, Khabib doesn't pursue half-heartedly and he doesn't relent.

that was stupid.

None of those guys are good wrestlers except Mendes who is undersized and fought on < 2 weeks notice. He was gassed.

Khabib is a bear. Even LHW have trouble with his takedowns and top control.

25 minutes is A LOT of time for Conor to maintain this gameplan. You know he can't do that.

Conor has 2 rounds to hit his homerun. If it doesnt happen I imagine he will be exhausted from Khabibs pace after not fighting for 2 years.

He trained cardio well for May fight and does now.

So i'd dive him 3 rounds.

Good post.

Sherdog - "What!!! This is stupid! Conor has only fought midgets! What a stupid video"

Amazing reading sherdoggers post drivel like this. Posters were saying the same in TJ videos prior to the first Cody fight and Cruz movement videos.

It was a good break down. I would just add that Khabib is not gonna stop and in the worst case scenario, Conor will be out of gas in the 3rd round by trying to defend all of the take downs of Khabib's pace. I can't wait for the fight and hope that it will be a good fight and not a one sided beating by Khabib But I know it will be.

He will not have 2 rounds to hit Khabib. He might get taken down within 1 minute.

What people need to understand:
  • Khabib has baby power in his punches. His grip strength might be off the charts good but the strikes provide no serious power.
  • He relies on G&P and cant even finish anyone with it. His opponents are more and more tired with time but apparently thats not enough to finish them. People call it mauling (mostly because of the hype created by Rogan) but its really soft for this weight class, his opponents are tired from trying to get back up, not from the damage they take.
  • Khabib is a really simple man. Both outside and inside the cage, his technique is so basic, so plain that im shocked nobody exposed him yet.
  • Conor is on another level of skill. I believe when it comes to tactics Khabib will be the easiest opponent. Conor's stand up game he can do basically anything, Khabib can only take him down and put on some bantamweight level ground & pound.
  • McGregor's last fight was 30 minutes + of boxing vs the greatest deffensive boxer of all times. Yes, the fatigue got to him but if his cardio is even better now i can't see him having any problems with beating Khabib now. I believe he will expose him in spectacular fashion, might even submit him. Conor ran through the FW division like they are flyweights and destroyed the LW champion. Yet they keep underrating him. His only loss in the UFC was to WW, and we all know Nate Diaz has one of the best chins in the UFC history, Conor still managed to knock him down in the 2nd fight and Khabib is much easier to hit, his chin is sticking out just like Tony's is - and thats like swimming with sharks when you fight such talented knockout artist as McGregory.

I would bet my house on McGregor winning this fight.

I'm not sure this has ever been mentioned. but, I have always wondered why conor gasses in some fights. now most are saying because of khabib's constant take down attempts, it's going to gas conor out...I don't believe that is what gets conor tired...I think conor gets tired because of his explosive striking...when conor gassed against nate in their 1st fight, it was all striking...and I have seen conor defend takedowns and that doesn't seem to drain him...I personally think he can defend takedowns all night long and not gas at all...but if you get in an all striking match, like with nate..and the guy can take conor's punch and fires back, that is what gets conor tired. A constant back and forth striking match. I don't think grappling gasses conor...

What people need to understand:
  • Khabib has baby power in his punches. His grip strength might be off the charts good but the strikes provide no serious power.
  • He relies on G&P and cant even finish anyone with it. His opponents are more and more tired with time but apparently thats not enough to finish them. People call it mauling (mostly because of the hype created by Rogan) but its really soft for this weight class, his opponents are tired from trying to get back up, not from the damage they take.
  • Khabib is a really simple man. Both outside and inside the cage, his technique is so basic, so plain that im shocked nobody exposed him yet.
  • Conor is on another level of skill. I believe when it comes to tactics Khabib will be the easiest opponent. Conor's stand up game he can do basically anything, Khabib can only take him down and put on some bantamweight level ground & pound.
  • McGregor's last fight was 30 minutes + of boxing vs the greatest deffensive boxer of all times. Yes, the fatigue got to him but if his cardio is even better now i can't see him having any problems with beating Khabib now. I believe he will expose him in spectacular fashion, might even submit him. Conor ran through the FW division like they are flyweights and destroyed the LW champion. Yet they keep underrating him. His only loss in the UFC was to WW, and we all know Nate Diaz has one of the best chins in the UFC history, Conor still managed to knock him down in the 2nd fight and Khabib is much easier to hit, his chin is sticking out just like Tony's is - and thats like swimming with sharks when you fight such talented knockout artist as McGregory.

I would bet my house on McGregor winning this fight.
Your entire post can be called out as being nothing more than nonsense based on the sole fact that you do not understand the difference between boxing and grappling cardio. I'm going to reiterate a post that deals with Conor's cardio I've posted in a different thread, because I'm too lazy to type it all from the beginning.

Conor is a striker who has predominantly developed fast twitch type muscles which tire very fast when confronted with a grueling and prolonged grappling engagement where you need to maintain contraction for prolonged periods of time (i.e. struggling for wrist control, fighting for underhooks and so on). Conor may have some good sweeps, but they're not going to save him, because Khabib will just take him down again, most likely not even giving Conor the luxury of breaking free entirely and creating some distance between him and Khabib due to Khabib's amazing chain wrestling.

As the takedown->get up cycle continues (assuming Khabib fails his top control, which is unlikely in the first place), Conor is going to tire out much faster than Khabib due to Conor being a fast twitch type of striker first and foremost. Again, this is assuming Khabib fails to control Conor from the top which is highly unlikely. Most likely Khabib will just take Conor down and keep him there, tenderizing his head and ribs with GnP, grinding his gas tank to dust. When Conor gets up and breaks free of Khabib's clutches, he's going to be a flat-footed, gassed bum with zero knockout power due to his arms and legs being filled with lead.

This is the reason why some people (me included) think that all Khabib needs to do in order to win is take Conor down once, since later takedowns will come much easier due to Conor getting tired, creating a snowball effect.

Absolutely i do know the difference. Thats why i said they get tired from trying to get back up which is very hard to do vs Khabib. Eddie Bravo said it. You gotta work from the bottom, try to submit him and use your intelligence instead of strength in trying to get back up on the feet. He knows excatly what Khabib's gonna do, its really not that hard to avoid his takedowns. You think Khabib is just gonna rush on him? Well, thats what Aldo did. The greatest FW of all times. It took him thurteen seconds.

UnitedBraveIvorybackedwoodswallow-size_restricted.gif

Good luck with Khabib's D-level stand up.

Back