(Video) How Conor defends Khabib's takedowns

What people need to understand:
  • Khabib has baby power in his punches. His grip strength might be off the charts good but the strikes provide no serious power.
  • He relies on G&P and cant even finish anyone with it. His opponents are more and more tired with time but apparently thats not enough to finish them. People call it mauling (mostly because of the hype created by Rogan) but its really soft for this weight class, his opponents are tired from trying to get back up, not from the damage they take.
  • Khabib is a really simple man. Both outside and inside the cage, his technique is so basic, so plain that im shocked nobody exposed him yet.
  • Conor is on another level of skill. I believe when it comes to tactics Khabib will be the easiest opponent. Conor's stand up game he can do basically anything, Khabib can only take him down and put on some bantamweight level ground & pound.
  • McGregor's last fight was 30 minutes + of boxing vs the greatest deffensive boxer of all times. Yes, the fatigue got to him but if his cardio is even better now i can't see him having any problems with beating Khabib now. I believe he will expose him in spectacular fashion, might even submit him. Conor ran through the FW division like they are flyweights and destroyed the LW champion. Yet they keep underrating him. His only loss in the UFC was to WW, and we all know Nate Diaz has one of the best chins in the UFC history, Conor still managed to knock him down in the 2nd fight and Khabib is much easier to hit, his chin is sticking out just like Tony's is - and thats like swimming with sharks when you fight such talented knockout artist as McGregory.

I would bet my house on McGregor winning this fight.

You are wrong about Khabibs GNP.

Its devastating.

If he gets Conor down early, he could finish him in 1.

You are wrong about Khabibs GNP.

Its devastating.

If he gets Conor down early, he could finish him in 1.
Name another fighter that can sit on someone for 5 rounds putting on the g&p and not finish them.

If you wanna see real mauling check Cain Velasquez fights.

TS

connort never faced the GOAT LW wrestler

in fact, fucking dennis siver took him down twice at 145

Name another fighter that can sit on someone for 5 rounds putting on the g&p and not finish them.

new to the sport?

go check GSP on youtube!!!

JDS vs Cain 2 went all 5 rounds and its considered one of the most brutal beatdowns in MMA history.

Khabibs GNP is devastating, I don't think Conor can handle it.

• Khabib has baby power in his punches. His grip strength might be off the charts good but the strikes provide no serious power.
  • He relies on G&P and cant even finish anyone with it. His opponents are more and more tired with time but apparently thats not enough to finish them. People call it mauling (mostly because of the hype created by Rogan) but its really soft for this weight class, his opponents are tired from trying to get back up, not from the damage they take.
  • Khabib is a really simple man. Both outside and inside the cage, his technique is so basic, so plain that im shocked nobody exposed him yet.
  • Conor is on another level of skill. I believe when it comes to tactics Khabib will be the easiest opponent. Conor's stand up game he can do basically anything, Khabib can only take him down and put on some bantamweight level ground & pound.
  • McGregor's last fight was 30 minutes + of boxing vs the greatest deffensive boxer of all times. Yes, the fatigue got to him but if his cardio is even better now i can't see him having any problems with beating Khabib now. I believe he will expose him in spectacular fashion, might even submit him. Conor ran through the FW division like they are flyweights and destroyed the LW champion. Yet they keep underrating him. His only loss in the UFC was to WW, and we all know Nate Diaz has one of the best chins in the UFC history, Conor still managed to knock him down in the 2nd fight and Khabib is much easier to hit, his chin is sticking out just like Tony's is - and thats like swimming with sharks when you fight such talented knockout artist as McGregory.

knocked nate down, but didn't do any damage or wobble him. to me it looked more like getting pushed down and falling to the mat, nate wasn't the least bit hurt.

also, not once was nate stunned, i do recall in the first fight i believe near the end of round 2 conor was almost going to get finished had the round had more time, nate was volume punching and landing.

conor has only ko'd aldo, he's never one punch ko'd anyone else. beating eddie is a joke, beat a guy way smaller and eddie wasn't even really hurt. hit him with an accumulation of punches and ref stops it, eddie is perfectly fine...kind of seem staged to me considering the ufc wanted conor to be a two division champion, also seemed it was early stoppage...ya sure conor probably would've won 9/10 times just based on his style, size, and length advantage.

if conor can't rock,wobble, or hurt kahbib in the stand up, and all we see is take down after take down. eventually conor will gas so much his movement, punches will be slow, there won't be as much power, and if he doesn't defend when he's on his back because of exhaustion and kahbib is relentlessly doing gnp then the fight will be stopped.

yes conor has the power to land something if timed and hit cleanly, he can gauge distance well, his movement is good, got good speed and he's fluid, and all those skillsets could help him win, but the deciding factor will be if his strikes have any affect on kahbib when landed, if kahbib walks through them and continues to proceed with his td's until secured and conor is on his back, then only a hail mary of a punch/kick/knee from conor will be his only chance.

Conor has 2 rounds to hit his homerun. If it doesnt happen I imagine he will be exhausted from Khabibs pace after not fighting for 2 years.

I say he quits on the stool after the 4th if it goes where you're talking about.

Omg. This video is even worse than he framing videos.
Good post.

Sherdog - "What!!! This is stupid! Conor has only fought midgets! What a stupid video"

Amazing reading sherdoggers post drivel like this. Posters were saying the same in TJ videos prior to the first Cody fight and Cruz movement videos.
have you trained before bro. A lot of this takedown defence is viable with reach advantage. And a lot of the takedowns are single shots followed up by strikes. When was th last time you seen someone pull khabib off a single leg with an underhook, and instead of body locking khabib tries to strike?

MMA math at its finest. McGregor has great takedown defence, but defending against high singles or power doubles is a lot different than someone's who sticks to you like butter with their chain wrestling. I'm not writing off mcgregor chances, but it s,internally irrelevant. I can upload a video of khabib taking down barboza and be like, see dthis is how he takes down mcgregor.

Alas though by doing that I'm completely ignoring the fact that although both strikers, every aspect of McGregor and barboza striking are polar opposites.

McGregor has a good chance, as does khabib. Because they haven't versed another opponent with each other's skill sets.

I'm not sure this has ever been mentioned. but, I have always wondered why conor gasses in some fights. now most are saying because of khabib's constant take down attempts, it's going to gas conor out...I don't believe that is what gets conor tired...I think conor gets tired because of his explosive striking...when conor gassed against nate in their 1st fight, it was all striking...and I have seen conor defend takedowns and that doesn't seem to drain him...I personally think he can defend takedowns all night long and not gas at all...but if you get in an all striking match, like with nate..and the guy can take conor's punch and fires back, that is what gets conor tired. A constant back and forth striking match. I don't think grappling gasses conor...

Single shots don't gas Conor because he gets room to breathe afterwards because of his distance control. He gasses when's he gets forced to do more in a smaller amount of time.

Wrestling is usually more tiring than striking because you are manipulating another persons body instead of just your ow n.

For example. Do ten jump squats. Then do ten jump squats with someone on your back. Which is harder?

For McGregor to not gas hard, he needs to punish khabib coming in, use a lot of body shots to slow down khabib, and he needs to control the distance. All things he has been proven to be able to do. I think he gassed against Nate because he knew he could land at will and chose to go for the knockout instead of controlling the pace and slowing himself down.

Omg. This video is even worse than he framing videos.

have you trained before bro. A lot of this takedown defence is viable with reach advantage. And a lot of the takedowns are single shots followed up by strikes. When was th last time you seen someone pull khabib off a single leg with an underhook, and instead of body locking khabib tries to strike?

MMA math at its finest. McGregor has great takedown defence, but defending against high singles or power doubles is a lot different than someone's who sticks to you like butter with their chain wrestling. I'm not writing off mcgregor chances, but it s,internally irrelevant. I can upload a video of khabib taking down barboza and be like, see dthis is how he takes down mcgregor.

Alas though by doing that I'm completely ignoring the fact that although both strikers, every aspect of McGregor and barboza striking are polar opposites.

McGregor has a good chance, as does khabib. Because they haven't versed another opponent with each other's skill sets.
My point is it is worthy of a thread. Not the hater or fanboi stuff that populates sherdog. IT's food for thought not perfect by any stretch.

Nice carefully chosen clips of Conor defending takedowns against non wrestlers lol Come on dude we all know Conor got taken down by Denis Siver lol

Siver? He did not get taken down actually

TS

connort never faced the GOAT LW wrestler

in fact, fucking dennis siver took him down twice at 145

No he didn't, neither of those was recorded as a takedowns. So in actual fact, he did not

My point is it is worthy of a thread. Not the hater or fanboi stuff that populates sherdog. IT's food for thought not perfect by any stretch.

Fair enough my friend. I'm not a hater or a hugger, but find myself assuming everyone is and getting really butthurt over stupid posts hahahha. McGregor takedown defence is dope. Let's pray it's a good fight.

LOL at this nonsense/nut-hugger hype. Where’s the footage of canner defending diaz’s takedowns? In their first fight, diaz took him down with one of the most basic, rudimentary single-legs ever seen in recent memory and mcgregor offered zero resistance in defending it. It’s comical how people pretend conner is some sort of tdd genius because he was able to outmuscle guys he had huge size advantages against.

What I need to understand:
Basics win fights and if you think otherwise, you are an idiot.

This video was pretty bad though, Khabib has only went for a low-single against Iaquinta in recent memory. He has a bigger takedown variety than this fight..

Absolutely i do know the difference. Thats why i said they get tired from trying to get back up which is very hard to do vs Khabib. Eddie Bravo said it. You gotta work from the bottom, try to submit him and use your intelligence instead of strength in trying to get back up on the feet. He knows excatly what Khabib's gonna do, its really not that hard to avoid his takedowns. You think Khabib is just gonna rush on him? Well, thats what Aldo did. The greatest FW of all times. It took him thurteen seconds.

UnitedBraveIvorybackedwoodswallow-size_restricted.gif

Good luck with Khabib's D-level stand up.

.....That's not Khabib in that gif?
<{MindBrown}>

The Irishman can win, but not for any of the above reasons that you listed in your delusional post. It’s a battle of one trick ponies, and Khabib’s trick can carry him for 5 rounds. McGregor’s only got 2 rounds before his calls it a day. Early KO for McGregor, or a one-sided drubbing courtesy of Khabib. Don’t bet your house, that’s dumb.

Back