vegetarian and vegan powerlifters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
These threads always seem to devolve into debates about belief systems and calling people stupid.

I was lacto-ovo vegetarian for about 7-8 years. Nine months ago I decided to give myself a 6 months trial period going back to eating seafood. I haven't noticed any changes, but I've been enjoying having a wider range of protien, so I extended it indefinitely. A few days ago, I decided to give myself the same kind of 6 month trial going back to full omnivore status. I'll see how that turns out. The problem I have with many studies is that they're clearly set up and written from a meat-lover's perspective trying to dog on vegetarians. So I look at this as my way of cutting through the bullshit and seeing how this all plays out for myself as I try to get stronger.

These threads always seem to devolve into debates about belief systems and calling people stupid.

I was lacto-ovo vegetarian for about 7-8 years. Nine months ago I decided to give myself a 6 months trial period going back to eating seafood. I haven't noticed any changes, but I've been enjoying having a wider range of protien, so I extended it indefinitely. A few days ago, I decided to give myself the same kind of 6 month trial going back to full omnivore status. I'll see how that turns out. The problem I have with many studies is that they're clearly set up and written from a meat-lover's perspective trying to dog on vegetarians. So I look at this as my way of cutting through the bullshit and seeing how this all plays out for myself as I try to get stronger.

Right on. If you're going to do something, do it right.

Yeah, no kidding.

The point I was trying to make didn't really work out.

Either way, I guess the point was: Don't criticize people for a personal belief.

In John's case, don't throw stones when you live in a glass house.

Vegan/vegetarian living is not anywhere in the same spectrum as belief in God, and this is not the place to discuss the differences.

Vegan/vegetarian living is not anywhere in the same spectrum as belief in God, and this is not the place to discuss the differences.

They are still a personal belief and he was just making the comment that you said that you "lose respect for 99% of people that you find out are vegan." So he came back with the same statement but put faith in God in there instead of vegan/ vegetarian.

Back with the thread, TS, there was a thread in here and in D&S a while back about a vegan or vegetarian powerlifter who was one strong guy who died. It was cool to see that. So it can work for some people, however, I think the debate is over the fact that can it work for most people.

Veganism certainly can be in the same spectrum.

Anyway, hilarious irruption of the War Room in here. Get back to lifting!

You're right, because there are no differences. When it comes down to it, both are systems of personal belief.

The only difference is...One is actually tangible. Hmmm.

I don't mind religious people in general, because it doesn't affect me, but to be honest, things such as your old sig make me sick.

We're discussing diet stuff in the S&P, so why not?

Would whey protein be considered a "no-no"?

Because, if I were vegan, I would clump the powder up into a pile and eat it as if it were a steak.

While that would be vegan by texas standards, whey powder is derived from animal products, and therefore, it's a no-no.

You're right, because there are no differences. When it comes down to it, both are systems of personal belief.

The only difference is...One is actually tangible. Hmmm.

I don't mind religious people in general, because it doesn't affect me, but to be honest, things such as your old sig make me sick.

We're discussing diet stuff in the S&P, so why not?

There's quite a bit of difference between deciding not to eat animals and whether you look at the world and see it as the result of a being outside the scope of our understanding and science or just a happy accident of some random energy releases.

I know that vegetarian/veganism is intangible, but you're the one who tried to make a connection there, not me.

If you lose respect for me because I have strong beliefs and am willing to take a stand for them, that's your prerogative. I have a relationship with God, and, although it doesn't always come out as much as it should, it affects every area of my life. I'm not trying to shove it down anybody's throat.

As far as my previous signature, while it might've been more appropriate on a Christian forum, I had it their to remind me of that and drill it into my brain. I was actually going to change it sooner, but that option was disabled for a month.

And just to clarify, my loss of respect for most vegans doesn't change how I treat them. I just take any nutrition advice they have with a grain of salt, tequila, and a slice of lime.

Vegans:

wilde_5.jpg

vegan.jpg

petagirls.jpg

GGoodwin.jpg

It can't be all that bad...

I know that vegetarian/veganism is intangible, but you're the one who tried to make a connection there, not me.

Step 1.) Discuss veganism.
Step 2.) ??????
Step 3.) Religious debate.

I'm not on cratos' side here, but you, more than any of us should recognize that a personal belief is validated by how strongly a person is tied to it.

So, both of you, shut your fucking pie holes.

+ 1....

He's a Canadian, that explains a lot.

I think that as soon as any belief becomes a system it becomes pants-shitting retarded.

And no, TS, I'd imagine it would be nigh impossible for a vegan to add any serious muscle mass.

Vegetarians have no problem as long as they eat lots of eggs and milk (although meat is best for putting on lean mass).

(Serious question, though, how to gorillas and shit get so big when all they eat is fruit and leaves and bugs?)

No ape is completely vegetarian, although their diet may comprise largely of vegetables. However we're adapted to eating larger amounts of meat than other apes. The consumption of meat was a signifcant factor in human evolution. Additional nutrition from meat allowed the development of the larger brain, since otherwise the nutrition needed for a larger brain would be too costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back