US announces returning to the moon as a top priority

Better not axe the estate tax then. Among other tax cuts for the very wealthy. Or cut back on defense spending. I'm in favor of limited manned space exploration, but Trump wants to do that, whilst increasing defense spending, and cut taxes. Something has to give

I don't think we needed humans to land on the moon in 1969. We had 17 successful unmanned probes land on the moon by that date. The Soviets had 22.

The Russians only had 6 landings before the US manned landing. They had 15 Luna missions including 6 "landings" or "impacts" 3 flybys, 5 that orbited and one that missed the moon.
https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/lunarussr.html
https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/lunarussr.html
The US had 16 landings or impacts prior to the July 20th 1969 manned landing if I counted correctly. Some of these were orbiters that were crashed at the end of their missions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_missions_to_the_Moon

Landing wasn't the issue it was returning something to earth. The bragging rights came with the manned landing. Also, returning rock samples to earth for analysis was a job that humans could do better. After 6 manned landings there was really nothing more to accomplish.

Maybe Trump wants to golf on the moon.

I'm don't think we've put a man there. So I don't think we're going "again."

ted-williams-athlete-if-you-dont-think-too-good-dont-think-too.jpg

Good, we need something to refocus people on space and exploration. Technological achievements always advance faster during times of great exploration. The private rocket companies are providing the first innovation in space, since the space shuttle, and its long over due that the USA fully fund and devote resources to NASA

The shuttle almost killed NASA. Congress, which is a collection of idiots, wanted a reusable semi truck to space to save money but it significantly raised the cost to launch as well as the dangers involved.

Un manned exploration seems to be the best way to accomplish anything now. It's much cheaper and allows more missions to more places when you don't have the concerns of keeping humans alive.

Spending out of defense budget - fine.
New spending - not fine.

Not sure US would have mining rights.

would be great to see tom hanks land on the moon again.

We have no technology to do anything but small scale mining and construction on the moon. Even if the most expensive metals and minerals were available in their pure form laying on the surface, it would cost several times their worth to bring them back to earth. There is no water, fuel or air that is needed to process things into usable forms.

The reason we went to the moon in the first place was mainly to prove that we could in a dick measuring contest with the Soviet Union in the space race. We needed humans to operate the equipment but we might have been able to do it with robotic landers. Now we definitely have the technology to do it without humans. We learned a lot about the moon and the earth from the samples brought back but we found we didn't have much more to learn. The moon is basically a chunk of the earth so precious metals and minerals won't be any easier to find than they are on earth.

you do realize we know how to do this right? they have been working on this for the last couple years.

We have no technology to do anything but small scale mining and construction on the moon. Even if the most expensive metals and minerals were available in their pure form laying on the surface, it would cost several times their worth to bring them back to earth. There is no water, fuel or air that is needed to process things into usable forms.

The reason we went to the moon in the first place was mainly to prove that we could in a dick measuring contest with the Soviet Union in the space race. We needed humans to operate the equipment but we might have been able to do it with robotic landers. Now we definitely have the technology to do it without humans. We learned a lot about the moon and the earth from the samples brought back but we found we didn't have much more to learn. The moon is basically a chunk of the earth so precious metals and minerals won't be any easier to find than they are on earth.
We actually have the tech to do manned missions of the entire solar system but Congress cancelled it during the Vietnam War. We would have been on Mars in the mid 1970s and done missions to the moons of Saturn in the early 1980s.

And who knows to what other technological breakthroughs the program would have led to? That's just using 1960s technology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)

B5HlKyU.jpg

The Russians only had 6 landings before the US manned landing. They had 15 Luna missions including 6 "landings" or "impacts" 3 flybys, 5 that orbited and one that missed the moon.

The US had 16 landings or impacts prior to the July 20th 1969 manned landing if I counted correctly. Some of these were orbiters that were crashed at the end of their missions.

Landing wasn't the issue it was returning something to earth. The bragging rights came with the manned landing. Also, returning rock samples to earth for analysis was a job that humans could do better. After 6 manned landings there was really nothing more to accomplish.

Not according to this (missions/probes):
Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lunar_probes

I think NASA could have easily designed a vehicle to land on the moon and return to earth in 1960s. Maintaining human life in a capsule is a much harder project. The idea was to outdo the Soviets after Sputnik and Yuri Gagarin. And to think that today an iPhone has more technology than the whole Apollo 11 control capsule computers.

While space exploration is certainly cool and the idea of colonies on the moon and Mars would be interesting, why haven't we made any serious attempts to colonize our own ocean floors?
Aquaman hasn't given permission yet.

Better not axe the estate tax then. Among other tax cuts for the very wealthy. Or cut back on defense spending. I'm in favor of limited manned space exploration, but Trump wants to do that, whilst increasing defense spending, and cut taxes. Something has to give
Someone's gotta pay for the Trump staff's travel like royalty.

fuck the moon. put a man on Mars already!
They may have already done that. See the photos of the dirty lander and the photo of it later clean with the shadow of a person cleaning it.

Aquaman hasn't given permission yet.
Cause the UN wants no chance of waking Cthulhu or the majority of the world even knowing who Cthulhu is.

You started a thread like this one a few weeks back. Not sure where the money for all this is going to be coming from. Private industry may work hand-in-hand with NASA. The U.S. government/military may be thinking of using the moon as a base to launch an offensive/defensive attack on a particular country on Earth. Like the 'death star' in Star Wars.

I don't think they found water on the moon yet. Liquid water cannot persist at the Moon's surface, and water vapor is decomposed by sunlight, with hydrogen quickly lost to outer space. What rare Earth metal does the moon have?

thats called lunex and project horizon.But now its ban under the treaty

https://www.space.com/7328-official-water-moon.html

uhuh....no water?

Last edited:
I don't get why they think anybody cares. Half the population is dumb enough to believe we never went there to begin with.
Science is lost in this era of the country.
People don't give a fuck about science unless they're getting immediate, convenient benefits of it.

Back