US announces returning to the moon as a top priority

This is coming from the guy who thinks the russians could kick the shit out of us and babbled about Chinese aircraft being superior to american, just stop. Honestly you should be for boosting science and R&D since it would really help the economy and stop dreaming of sucking Chinese wang daily. This is one of the few areas that most of this fourms agrees on an all you do is cry, bitch and talk about china and Russia. Ya because Russia is gonna be able to do this...lol

C'mon 'Ghost', get your story straight. The other thread had to do with a Russian/Chinese attack on the U.S. Never said Chinese carriers were superior. You are derailing your own thread. I cry and bitch about a lot of things, lunar mining being one of them. Smart up, what do you think would happen if the Russians and Chinese decided to colonize the moon? That argument went right over your head didn't it? :)

C'mon 'Ghost', get your story straight. The other thread had to do with a Russian/Chinese attack on the U.S. Never said Chinese carriers were superior. You are derailing your own thread. I cry and bitch about a lot of things, lunar mining being one of them. Smart up, what do you think would happen if the Russians and Chinese decided to colonize the moon? That argument went right over your head didn't it? :)

funny thing is, we are doing that with the Russian space agency as a collaboration.

Sadly no one has the balls to do it because it might make us look weak.....

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...e-increase-in-military-spending-idUSKCN1BT2PV

Fuck i dont even see a reason to have 700B, if anything if we cut the size of our military and scrapped some older equipment and closed down bases that we dont need an try and saved money. We could still have a big budget just not THAT big.

i mean you say we dont have money to spend, but how the fuck do they find nearly 200B to spend on defense but cant give nasa 20 of that!?

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...ved=0ahUKEwiy4uqP2d_WAhWHx4MKHcTKAFAQ9QEILDAA

this was last years defense spending

its almost comical. at what point would citizens say "wellllll maybe thats too much for defense?" its the only section of our govt that seemingly has 0 scrutiny with regard to waste.

Why? Don't we got better shit to be doing right now. Things are really fucked up at the moment.

B5HlKyU.jpg

That is one amazing rocket, and all with 1960's technology. I'm sure this information was classified at the time and Wernher von Braun was heavily involved. Thanks...

Why? Don't we got better shit to be doing right now. Things are really fucked up at the moment.

which is why we need to develop the space program quickly...its time to leave this shit hole behind and start anew and spread out.

Unmanned exploration seems to be the best way to accomplish anything now. It's much cheaper and allows more missions to more places when you don't have the concerns of keeping humans alive.

Would definitely be great to see flagship missions similar to Voyager which is up there among the greatest achievements of all-time. Caltech/JPL have absolutely run the game where the history of robotic space exploration is concerned.

There are numerous feats to its name that can't be done for the first time again. It was the first to observe volcanic activity on another world, the first and only mission to complete a 'grand tour' of the outer planets of the solar system, the first and only to directly explore Uranus (1986), first and only to explore Neptune (1989), first and only thus far to cross into and explore Interstellar Space (2012). From 1977-1989 alone, it had collected enough scientific data to fill 6,000 editions of Britannica Encyclopaedia.

There are anthropomorphic qualities to it which aren't seen nor given to pretty much any other spacecraft ever launched, and they've been active for 40+ years now. That's predominantly due to the Golden Record and its encapsulation of humanity but also for things such as the family portrait of the solar system that served as the inspiration for Carl Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot" monologue set to Vangelis, just things that we'll never quite be able to duplicate again. It's also a virtual certainty that Voyager(s) will outlast human existence itself.

This was far-and-away the best documentary of the year.

pU7xntwc1-JJcnz6pM-huBTbkq-HfOWMUcKg1LopzoMDis2D-rfruUtSyJ5Sa1C1uaQ3eg

Good, we need something to refocus people on space and exploration. Technological achievements always advance faster during times of great exploration. The private rocket companies are providing the first innovation in space, since the space shuttle, and its long over due that the USA fully fund and devote resources to NASA.

I don't get why they think anybody cares. Half the population is dumb enough to believe we never went there to begin with. Science is lost in this era of the country. People don't give a fuck about science unless they're getting immediate, convenient benefits of it.

PRC likely surpasses the USA by the midpoint of this century if not sooner, there are already several areas in which they've not only caught up but have taken the lead, quantum computing being a major one and I'm still amazed at what they've managed with QKD technology. It's a shame because it's wholly avoidable but America is waist deep in anti-intellectualism, anti-rationalism and anti-science rhetoric.

Would definitely be great to see flagship missions similar to Voyager which is up there among the greatest achievements of all-time. Caltech/JPL have absolutely run the game where the history of robotic space exploration is concerned.

There are numerous feats to its name that can't be done for the first time again. It was the first to observe volcanic activity on another world, the first and only mission to complete a 'grand tour' of the outer planets of the solar system, the first and only to directly explore Uranus (1986), first and only to explore Neptune (1989), first and only thus far to cross into and explore Interstellar Space (2012). From 1977-1989 alone, it had collected enough scientific data to fill 6,000 editions of Britannica Encyclopaedia.

There are anthropomorphic qualities to it which aren't seen nor given to pretty much any other spacecraft ever launched, and they've been active for 40+ years now. That's predominantly due to the Golden Record and its encapsulation of humanity but also for things such as the family portrait of the solar system that served as the inspiration for Carl Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot" monologue set to Vangelis, just things that we'll never quite be able to duplicate again. It's also a virtual certainty that Voyager(s) will outlast human existence itself.

This was far-and-away the best documentary of the year.

pU7xntwc1-JJcnz6pM-huBTbkq-HfOWMUcKg1LopzoMDis2D-rfruUtSyJ5Sa1C1uaQ3eg

PRC likely surpasses the USA by the midpoint of this century if not sooner, there are already several areas in which they've not only caught up but have taken the lead, quantum computing being a major one and I'm still amazed at what they've managed with QKD technology. It's a shame because it's wholly avoidable but America is waist deep in anti-intellectualism, anti-rationalism and anti-science rhetoric.

There appears to be a rather disappointing approach other administrations have used: "Let others do the lifting and we'll just learn what they've learned, without the work or expense!"

That is one amazing rocket, and all with 1960's technology. I'm sure this information was classified at the time and Wernher von Braun was heavily involved. Thanks...

Actually nothing was classified. Wernher Von Braun worked with Walt Disney to get the information out there. It might have been through his work with Disney that got the American public interested in space.
481987main_rp_disney_full.jpg

https://www.space.com/15398-walt-disney-wernher-von-braun.html

which is why we need to develop the space program quickly...its time to leave this shit hole behind and start anew and spread out.

You mean try to find another planet to turn into a shit hole?

There appears to be a rather disappointing approach other administrations have used: "Let others do the lifting and we'll just learn what they've learned, without the work or expense!"

Yeah, I don't believe the USA has been quite diligent enough in working to preserve its place as the world's leader in R&D, a position it was somewhat handed post-1945 with the destruction and capitulation of Germany, which itself had aggressively pursued overtaking Great Britain for the global science lead and finally did by the turn of the 20th Century when Max Planck opened the door to the foundation of quantum mechanics.

I was really happy for Kip Thorne earlier this week on his Nobel Prize win. There's few living scientists in the world with a better grasp of the astrophysical and cosmological implications of General Relativity. In that sense, he's very much a successor to his doctoral advisor John Wheeler who actually collaborated with an elder Albert Einstein in his later years in America, was responsible for popularizing the term 'black hole' and also had a mind in the Manhattan Project. Only just died in 2008 at the ripe age of 96.

Thorne's been more of a traditional professor than researcher for most of his career but his work with LIGO was arduous and substantial enough to earn him a share of the physics prize so it's awesome to see him rewarded, particularly due to his humility. He's also got long association with the aforementioned Caltech which is synonymous with JPL as it manages it for NASA and is the institution where ATG's such as Robert Millikan, Richard Feynman, Murray Gell-Mann and the (arguable GOAT) chemist Linus Pauling studied and/or held posts.

Also penned one of the greatest popular science books ever written.

51wAKn8ZD3L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Yeah, I don't believe the USA has been quite diligent enough in working to preserve its place as the world's leader in R&D, a position it was somewhat handed post-1945 with the destruction and capitulation of Germany, which itself had aggressively pursued overtaking Great Britain for the global science lead and finally did by the turn of the 20th Century when Max Planck opened the door to the foundation of quantum mechanics.

I was really happy for Kip Thorne earlier this week on his Nobel Prize win. There's few living scientists in the world with a better grasp of the astrophysical and cosmological implications of General Relativity. In that sense, he's very much a successor to his doctoral advisor John Wheeler who actually collaborated with an elder Albert Einstein in his later years in America, was responsible for popularizing the term 'black hole' and also had a mind in the Manhattan Project. Only just died in 2008 at the ripe age of 96.

Thorne's been more of a traditional professor than researcher for most of his career but his work with LIGO was arduous and substantial enough to earn him a share of the physics prize so it's awesome to see him rewarded, particularly due to his humility. He's also got long association with the aforementioned Caltech which is synonymous with JPL as it manages it for NASA and is the institution where ATG's such as Robert Millikan, Richard Feynman, Murray Gell-Mann and the (arguable GOAT) chemist Linus Pauling studied and/or held posts.

Also penned one of the greatest popular science books ever written.

51wAKn8ZD3L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Nobel winner!
LIGO bagging the gravity waves

@Overpressure you will love this:

"LUNAR LAND company is the world's most recognized Celestial Real Estate Agency and has been selling land on the Moon for decades. Lunar Land is one of THE FIRST companies in the world to possess a legal TRADEMARK and COPYRIGHT for the sale of extraterrestrial property within the confines of our solar system."

Link: https://www.lunarland.com/
lunar-banner.png

Now, why didn't I think of that? I think I'll try the idea in Mars...
LOL.
I remember breaking it to a family member that those companies that will sell you a certificate that says the name you picked for a star is legit, ain't.
She paid forty bucks for a piece of worthless paper.
"Stars that don't have traditional Arabic/other names are referred to by coordinate, and those are the official designations astronomers use. Buying that certificate won't alter that."

*sigh*

Actually nothing was classified. Wernher Von Braun worked with Walt Disney to get the information out there. It might have been through his work with Disney that got the American public interested in space.
481987main_rp_disney_full.jpg

https://www.space.com/15398-walt-disney-wernher-von-braun.html

Yeah, WvB was not only one of the greatest minds but visionaries in all of recorded human history, easily one of the most significant figures of the 20th Century and equally indispensable at different periods to both the Third Reich and post-war American hegemon during global conflicts on the scale and level of World War II and Cold War. So god damn relevant that it could almost make Albert Einstein blush.

He's easily the most important and influential popularizer of space exploration in history with everything from numerous features he wrote in Colliers Magazine to his friendship with the ATG English science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke which in turn inspired creative talents on the caliber of Stanley Kubrick, Pink Floyd, David Bowie and Elton John among others, with works that have become timeless artistic contributions to Western Culture on the whole. Not to mention he also founded the National Space Institute which was the first non-profit space exploration advocacy group of its kind, later merged with the L5 Society and still going.

2292_image2_big.jpg

vonbraun_early_wheel_concept.jpg

Actually nothing was classified.

I doubt it. In the mid 60s with the Soviet Union as our competitor? Also, you are talking about nuclear propulsion. Nuclear test information from the 1950s and 60s alone was classified information.

Last edited:
“The moon is probably the most tactically valuable military ground for earth,” the tweet said. “Rocks dropped from there have power of 100s of nuclear bombs.”

After users on social media questioned her scientific literacy, the congressional candidate clarified that the tweet was “talking about dropping [rocks] into our gravity well.”

Ms. Wu blamed criticism of her on sexism: “that’s the danger of being a woman on the internet!” she exclaimed.
There are stupid people on both sides... both sides...

It's a shame because it's wholly avoidable but America is waist deep in anti-intellectualism, anti-rationalism and anti-science rhetoric.
Unfortunately, that's a huge issue right there. Right now, we have all our human eggs in one basket. I don't think enough people are aware of the somewhat long list of events that could knock people back to the stone age or farther. There ought to be a bigger push to branch out to other solar system bodies imo. Note I don't say any of these things is imminent or likely anytime soon, but they are inevitable, pretty much. The Tanguska meteor arrived from off the plane of the solar system so we had no warning of its approach. Imagine if it had been much bigger.

Edit: see if this isn't enough incentive, if Kim Jong Un set off a nuke in the upper atmosphere above North America, the resulting EMP could knock out electronics across the entire US.

Back