Should we have a man on the Moon again be priority over people going to Mars?

Should we have a man on the Moon again be priority over people going to Mars?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's been since 1972 was the last person on the Moon. Should we send a person on to the moon again before going to Mars?

1563489997538.jpeg

astronauts-space-suits-walk-exploring-mars-shut.jpg

At its closest I think Mars is still 100x further away than the moon. At its furthest almost 1000x further away. Might be good to warm up with the moon first if there's any significant added scientific value to another mission. We might be a little rusty after 50 years. I don't know if we are good enough at this yet that a trip to Mars wouldn't be a death sentence at the moment.

Last edited:
Happy to see the Moon and Mars dropping in priority against solving serious problems here on Earth. I voted neither. Having said this, this poll is irrelevant simply because WE NEVER WENT TO THE MOON - a (in)famous book has been written with irrefutable evidence proving this (e.g. the "shadows" of the astronauts "on" the Moon and a camera shade accidently caught on the video proving it was all a fake set somewhere here on Earth); if you think this is conspiracy talk, go see the movie called Capricorn One - you will have no shadow of a doubt at the end :):)

the difference between reaching the moon vs reaching mars is astronomical, and the moon is already comically far away

Imagine a bunch of cans fucking up a perfect habitat and having the ego/delusion to believe the next step is to try and terraform barren wastelands in outer space.

Derp.

I’d love to see a Mars mission/landing in my lifetime but it’s really just a scientific/technological challenge. You’d certainly learn some things along the way but it’s ultimately just for bragging rights.

A moon mission but more importantly, a moon base is a far, far a better idea. One of the biggest problems of space travel is weight and escaping our gravity/atmosphere.

If you set up a moon base, you can mine and get your water and minerals needed directly from there. And due to the huge difference in gravity, it takes very little thrust to get off.

You set up a moon base, mine and then use that as a launching pad to Mars and the solar system. It’s much more fruitful goal.

I’d love to see a Mars mission/landing in my lifetime but it’s really just a scientific/technological challenge. You’d certainly learn some things along the way but it’s ultimately just for bragging rights.

A moon mission but more importantly, a moon base is a far, far a better idea. One of the biggest problems of space travel is weight and escaping our gravity/atmosphere.

If you set up a moon base, you can mine and get your water and minerals needed directly from there. And due to the huge difference in gravity, it takes very little thrust to get off.

You set up a moon base, mine and then use that as a launching pad to Mars and the solar system. It’s much more fruitful goal.
I have thought about that idea but with the current technology it would just be cheaper to launch from earth. Setting up a moon base would be unfeasible atm.

Sustaining it and maintaining it would be very difficult and expensive.

Mining on the moon is an insane concept. Anybody who has ever had anything to do with mining knows the amount of equipment required and it would take hundreds of years to get that equipment to the moon. It would all have to be electrically operated using solar panels to provide the electricity. Once the material is removed from the ground it has to be processed to separate the different products. There is not much water on the moon. There might be some near the poles in craters. In the sunlight on the moon, the temperature is around 130 C 260 F so any water has boiled away and has been lost to space in the low gravity. There isn't any oxygen or much water so metals can't be processed the way they are currently to obtain high quality products. Bringing anything back to Earth is cost prohibitive. If there were nuggets of pure gold laying on the surface of the moon, it would cost much more than the gold would be worth to bring it back.

Using the moon as a stepping stone to Mars would be like going from New York to Los Angeles via Paris.

Its much easier to get to the moon and their may be resources on the moon that are valuable (metals, helium-3), so the moon. Then after we are established there we can go to Mars

Mars should be the priority. It has never been done. And the technology needed to do it would benefit everyone here on earth greatly, just like the missions to the moon did decades ago.

Also, we already know how to solve all of the problems on earth. But people simply don’t want to.
For instance, America produces enough GDP that we could feed and clothe every person in the country, and probably house them too. And we’d still have change to spare.

But nobody is voting in politicians who push for things like universal healthcare, a universal basic incomes, or government provided housing for the homeless. Shit, some states won’t even pay for kids’ school lunches.

We had the child poverty tax credit during Covid which halved child poverty and homelessness. And the politicians everyone still votes for decided to end that.

Other countries we don't like are planning to go to the moon, so the USA wants to be there first

The moon makes more sense, as the tech we use to get there would be basically the same to get to Mars just at a smaller scale. Best to take a short hop where we at least have a chance of some sort of rescue effort or recovery before we wake a giant ass fucking leap to Mars, where once you are on your way it's all or nothing.

Also, moon landing deniers still make me giggle. It's like flat earthers, only slightly less delusional but with more energy somehow.

Back