Update: Meltzer estimates PPV buys for UFC 225 at 250k

we all know who the ufc needs back to riase the ppv numbers. Co......
dy mckenzie!

The underline is not true at all
Fox had an offer on the table for seven months & UFC did not take it.
They gave UFC a deadline & UFC passed.

But UFC continuing with 12 PPV is asinine
6-8 makes business sense
That's what I get for listening to Brendan Schaub lol. He said fox choose wwe over UFC on Rogans podcast.

I thought Covington was a draw and what he is doing is working because EVERYBODY is talking about him.

No one cares about Cringington one way or the other. Not a surprise to most of us.

That's what I get for listening to Brendan Schaub lol. He said fox choose wwe over UFC on Rogans podcast.
Schaub is a dickhead lol

the fact UFC can remain so profitable in down years shows why it's so valuable and why ESPN (still the biggest sports network) picked it up and thought it was worth 300m/year for TV rights.

Colby got 350 grand up front

Somebody is getting a pay cut..

Ha
It fits a narrative
But Fox had an offer on the table since October
The offer to WWE was more but they are getting a lot more (104 hrs of primetime on a bigger network)
Its obvious they were not doing both UFC/WWE
But the fact that they had the offer on the table until mid-May proves they wanted to keep UFC.
But I guess they felt UFC was using them for other offers.
The biggest offer UFC were rumored to have was Turner but they couldn't do anything until the merger was settled.
So fox said now or never & ESPN said here is a bigger offer & UFC took it.

Schaub is a dickhead lol

the fact UFC can remain so profitable in down years shows why it's so valuable and why ESPN (still the biggest sports network) picked it up and thought it was worth 300m/year for TV rights.

Funny thing about the ESPN deal is most of it is not for TV
Its for OTT (ESPN+)
They will lose money on this deal, but feel UFC will help brand the OTT service
Risky move on their end.

Its for OTT (ESPN+)
Risky move on their end.
Hmm I thought there was atleast a card every month for regular ESPN then ESPN+ got the bulk of them. Risky indeed

Hmm I thought there was atleast a card every month for regular ESPN then ESPN+ got the bulk of them. Risky indeed

ESPN has content, but most is on ESPN+
the best part of the deal is ESPN making UFC a priority with coverage.
plus ESPN will be promoting the PPV's which Fox didn't.
ESPN+ will be selling/broadcasting the PPV, so they have a stake in hyping every card.

the two things that irk me about the deal are:
1. Still having 12 PPV yearly
2. UFC keeping production. UFC needs a new look badly. it has been 15+ years of the same presentation.

Its for OTT (ESPN+)
Risky move on their end.
I still find it so strange that a majority of their UFC broadcasts will take place on their streaming service and not on any channel. Has ESPN+ burst on to the scene so far? It's been two months now, and I haven't heard a peep about how it's doing.

Who bought it? I didn’t.

Seems like the only person who can come close to selling 1m PPVs now is McGregor. Even GSP couldn’t hit 1m in his return back in November. PPV sales are an outdated model. People aren’t willing to spend $65 anymore for 4 fights. Time for the UFC to adapt with the times.

I'm not quite convinced, but that's scary low for such a stacked card if true. No wonder they're so keen to sign guys like Punk, Hardy, etc.

It was a really solid card, so this is surprising.

To the fans who said Punk would add 150k buys to the PPV, what say you now?
To be fair, there were experts who stated such after his first fight. That card did 450k buys, was estimated to do 275k without him, IIRC.

That's horrible, lol.

Time to fucking get rid of the outdated PPV model.

I still find it so strange that a majority of their UFC broadcasts will take place on their streaming service and not on any channel. Has ESPN+ burst on to the scene so far? It's been two months now, and I haven't heard a peep about how it's doing.

Yes - https://plus.espn.com/

The lack of hype is why they over-paid for UFC

It can be good for the UFC c-level events
Since they won't be on TV, we won't see mediocre to bad ratings for the c-level cards that only hardcores care to watch.

The UFC is guaranteed a good dollar for the cards that no casuals watch.

i just hope the ESPN TV cards are quality & don't get buried on a lesser ESPN channel

Back