Update: Meltzer estimates PPV buys for UFC 225 at 250k

Makes no sense. Stacked card with lots of known names.

Problem is the PPV wasn't though and the TV/Fightpass card was.

I'd imagine many people felt that was enough for a good nights MMA viewing without the PPV.

Last edited:
Makes no sense. Stacked card with lots of known names.

Needs bigger names. Logan Paul vs. Bieber maybe.

giphy.gif

Well popularity/interest is certainly down a lot - that cannot be argued, but hard to be dying when they had their biggest profit year in history BEFORE the TV deal.

But ya know how SD is

Yep, UFC will have down years. I remember how bad 2013 was lol

People are acting like they promoted CM Punk at all. They hardly did any promotion. His first fight they had Looking for a Fight, Punk's show with like 4 episodes. They knew this one was going to be ugly.

Still those numbers are tragic if true. But none of these reports that come out are ever the real number. WME paid a shit ton for this, they aren't stupid.

It kind of makes sense. When you have cards like UFC 224, people are going to quit habitually watching every or most UFC card. Most people aren't going to take the time to research who Romero is. They'll just assume that it could have been as shitty as UFC 224 was and not watch it. Whereas, in the past when every PPV was always headlined by a guy like Romero, everyone would automatically watch it.

Now, they'll only tune in when there's guys they've already heard of like McGregor, Jones, etc. Cormier vs Stipe will likely do similar shit numbers because the UFC killed its brand by headlining PPVs with women and 125 lb men.
UFC definitely has not killed it's brand but you're right 125lb men and women shouldn't be headlining. RR was a rare commodity because her fights were entertaining and she was a household name. I hate RR but she was either finishing opponents with ease or getting blasted. So there's merit to it.

UFC definitely has not killed it's brand but you're right 125lb men and women shouldn't be headlining. RR was a rare commodity because her fights were entertaining and she was a household name. I hate RR but she was either finishing opponents with ease or getting blasted. So there's merit to it.
The UFC name used to be a stamp of quality fights, stacked cards, and high level fighters. It meant that because every PPV was headlined by guys like Whittaker and Romero and cards were filled with guys like Overeem and Blaydes. Even if you hadn't heard of Romero or Whittaker, you could be sure they were high level fighters that you want to see just because the UFC only headlines great fighters on PPVs. The UFC name doesn't automatically mean quality fights, stacked cards, and high level fighters anymore. Unless you diligently research every fight on a card, you might accidentally waste $65 on low level fighters and low quality fights. 90% of fans aren't going to spend an hour researching a fight card. They're just not going to watch unless it's one of the 3 or 4 guys they've heard of. That's what I mean by the UFC hurting its brand.

Yep, UFC will have down years. I remember how bad 2013 was lol

Prize fighting will have peaks & valleys. History has shown that.
the difference is, UFC became its own league so they have a lot of financial stability with contracts & of course "minimal fighter pay".

Look at Boxing.
In between the Ali & Tyson years they dropped a lot
Then you had Sugar Ray & Mayweather.
Those in-between years were not as big

Anybody claiming the death of UFC/MMA, is ignorant on combat sports history & must have a broken calculator, bc UFC has gone up in value in their "death" ;)

No wonder the zuffa crew love Conor Mcgregor, his popularity pushed the numbers unsustainabley high, resulting in an expensive purchase.

Prize fighting will have peaks & valleys. History has shown that.
the difference is, UFC became its own league so they have a lot of financial stability with contracts & of course "minimal fighter pay".

Look at Boxing.
In between the Ali & Tyson years they dropped a lot
Then you had Sugar Ray & Mayweather.
Those in-between years were not as big

Anybody claiming the death of UFC/MMA, is ignorant on combat sports history & must have a broken calculator, bc UFC has gone up in value in their "death" ;)
Yep combat sports, more than any other sport, is star driven.

UFC has actually done a solid job building it's brand up enough to get TV deals to where they can get by without stars but they wouldn't necessarily thrive. You throw Conor, Jones, Lesnar, Rousey, GSP into the mix and they're booming. UFC is far from dead and is only growing at this point, maybe not at the rate in the late 00's but they're now becoming more profitable than ever.

It was a really solid card, so this is surprising.

To the fans who said Punk would add 150k buys to the PPV, what say you now?
That without Punk, UFC is dead?

For once I am actually shocked if that number is true. I would have guessed at least 300k. Shit even I bought it this time.

Yep combat sports, more than any other sport, is star driven.

UFC has actually done a solid job building it's brand up enough to get TV deals to where they can get by without stars but they wouldn't necessarily thrive. You throw Conor, Jones, Lesnar, Rousey, GSP into the mix and they're booming. UFC is far from dead and is only growing at this point, maybe not at the rate in the late 00's but they're now becoming more profitable than ever.

You sir get it
Although I disagree that they are "growing".

Maybe the PPV model is finally sinking. Oh man, that would be magnificent.

Or more likely, that it only works with the mega-fights. Conor vs GSP and what not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back