UFN 119 - Machida vs Brunson - Sao Paulo

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm not saying this is what happened or that this is effective, BUT maybe Fig stopped sweating and was really worried about missing weight that he intentionally started to cry to try and expel fluid that way? Again, I'm not saying this is what happened and I doubt it would even be effective.

Can someone explain my why the greatest BJJ practitioner in UFC would lose to a guy who's game only focuses on getting the fight down?

Likely the same way
T-Wood beat Maia
Matt Hughes beat Renzo, Royce, and Renato Verissimo (Charuto)
Ricco Rodriguez beat Big Nog (in reality lol)
Usman beat Moraes
Guida beat Haoki
Phil Davis beat Vinny Magalhães
Hendo beat Big Nog
Brock beat Mir II

There is no one litmus test that’s going to give a definitive answer as to how this or any other D1 Wrestler vs. high level BJJ black belt plays out. But plenty of d1-wrestlers have used their top heavy pressure and solid fundamentals to best BJJ black belts many of times throughout MMA history. Remember, this isn’t a strict BJJ match and to quote Renzo Gracie said, “Ig you punch a black belt once he becomes a brown belt. Punch a brown belt he becomes a purple belt. Punch a purple belt..”. You get the idea.

Dont know how you could be that confident in a 39 year old fighter who hasn’t fought in over two years and was on the juice.

Last win was against cb dollaway in 2014. 1-3 since he beat Gegard

Usada undisputed champ.

Karate provides a reliable skill set when matched up against a wild opponent. I don't think ring rust will be major factor as I am sure Machida has stayed busy. What does worry me is the age difference. Even so though 39 isn't really that old if you have been taking care of yourself which Machida seems to.

tbh I don't really even think this fight is close. I think Machida destroys him the vast majority of the time except for sometimes when Brunson overwhelms him early.

He did take a whole lot of punishment in his last two fights thought.

Love Machida here. I’m usually a Brunson mark but see this as a terrible MU for him. I know Lyoto has been away for two years but he’s not the type of fighter who relies heavily on athleticism and/or power and will look old overnight imo. Not like a Rashad Evans. Instead, he is a fighter who relies on footwork, technique, reflexes and the mistakes of his opponents whom he sets traps for. In fact, even his older brother Chinzo is making waves in Bellator right now and he’s like 41 or so. Additionally, he hasn’t been in very many wars and has always taken excellent care of his body. That is to say, he’s not a Big Nog or Saku type of guy who were basically Frankenstein‘s monsters once they hit 35 years old.

What’s more, Derek Brunson has always reminded me of a Melvin Guiilard type a fighter. An excellent athlete with massive potential but you never know what to expect from him besides the unexpected. Historically he has shown terrible fight IQ and even in stylistically favorable matchup’s he will just charge him with his chin high on a flagpole ready to be countered and put to sleep. Alternatively, there are other times were he will look excellent early and then completely fall off the proverbial cliff. Out of nowhere. He is the exact type of guy that will rush in on Machida only to get countered and flatlined.

I believe DB has a round to get Machida out of there and then the fight starts to swing heavily towards The savvy veteran. Machida has traditionally feasted on aggressive wrestlers like Ryan Bader and Tito Ortiz. He deals with wrestling guys better than any other style. One of his best performances came when he won the title against Rashad Evans. I believe this is very similar to that fight, and expect a similar outcome.

Machida in rounds three, four and five is most play territory +1400, +1800 and +2200 respectively. Even if you put just a flier on it.

Love Machida here. I’m usually a Brunson mark but see this as a terrible MU for him. I know Lyoto has been away for two years but he’s not the type of fighter who relies heavily on athleticism and/or power and will look old overnight imo. Not like a Rashad Evans. Instead, he is a fighter who relies on footwork, technique, reflexes and the mistakes of his opponents whom he sets traps for. In fact, even his older brother Chinzo is making waves in Bellator right now and he’s like 41 or so. Additionally, he hasn’t been in very many wars and has always taken excellent care of his body. That is to say, he’s not a Big Nog or Saku type of guy who were basically Frankenstein‘s monsters once they hit 35 years old.

What’s more, Derek Brunson has always reminded me of a Melvin Guiilard type a fighter. An excellent athlete with massive potential but you never know what to expect from him besides the unexpected. Historically he has shown terrible fight IQ and even in stylistically favorable matchup’s he will just charge him with his chin high on a flagpole ready to be countered and put to sleep. Alternatively, there are other times were he will look excellent early and then completely fall off the proverbial cliff. Out of nowhere. He is the exact type of guy that will rush in on Machida only to get countered and flatlined.

I believe DB has a round to get Machida out of there and then the fight starts to swing heavily towards The savvy veteran. Machida has traditionally feasted on aggressive wrestlers like Ryan Bader and Tito Ortiz. He deals with wrestling guys better than any other style. One of his best performances came when he won the title against Rashad Evans. I believe this is very similar to that fight, and expect a similar outcome.

Machida in rounds three, four and five is most play territory +1400, +1800 and +2200 respectively. Even if you put just a flier on it.
To play devils advocate. You say he relies on reflexes which is one of the things that tend to fade fast in your 30s and Machida is 39 now. Also, I think Machidas has really bad punching power at middle weight. He hit Weidman clean several times with full power without Weidman even flinching basicly. I'd certainly agree that Brunson has a bunch of defensive flaws but I dont see Machida being able to take advantage at this stage of his career.

So I'm not saying this is what happened or that this is effective, BUT maybe Fig stopped sweating and was really worried about missing weight that he intentionally started to cry to try and expel fluid that way? Again, I'm not saying this is what happened and I doubt it would even be effective.

We used to spit constantly in wrestling to lose weight. Lol

I switched my Covington bets at +245 and +224 with Maia +150 for net odds at +250. The reason is that I think Covington is gonna wrestle and I think he either gets swept or Maia climbs on his back when they clinch against the cage.

We used to spit constantly in wrestling to lose weight. Lol
Yeah, that's pretty common. I think I saw him spit right before he got on the scale when I originally watched. Maybe I'm bugging

or maybe he has a one inch pecker and was ashamed that everyone was going to find out about it

seriously, ive never seen a guy cry before for something so nothing.

you either make weight or you dont, nothing to get emotional about

it happens almost every other event to one fighter. no big fuken deal

We'll see how many Brazilian underdogs win tomorrow:
- Lyoto Machida (+135)
- Demian Maia (+120)
- Pedro Munhoz (+130)
- Thiago Santos (+105)
- Hacran Dias (+145)
- Deiveson Figueiredo (+150)

Weren't the stats like 80% of the time Brazilians win in Brazil.

Figeuiredo looked pretty ok at the weigh in.

Also damn I hate Brooks' stupid face.

E: "joined the Welsh army"

LOL at Figeuiredo making gun signs at Brooks

Figeuiredo absolutely shredded, like what I saw at the ceremonial weigh in's, looks confident and fired up. Didn't look unhealthy at all.

Didn't even look terrible at the early weigh ins, tough cut sure but it was overblown because of the tears. LOL at some of the things people were saying.

Karate provides a reliable skill set when matched up against a wild opponent. I don't think ring rust will be major factor as I am sure Machida has stayed busy. What does worry me is the age difference. Even so though 39 isn't really that old if you have been taking care of yourself which Machida seems to.

tbh I don't really even think this fight is close. I think Machida destroys him the vast majority of the time except for sometimes when Brunson overwhelms him early.

I think you’re right if the fight happened 4-5 years ago.

I’m just wondering why he was taking the peds?

Your speed and reflexes are often the first things to go with the age factor. Was he trying to compensate?

He’s been beaten by pressure fighters lately. My concern is he isn’t going to have the timing and speed/reflexes to avoid brunson early.

I like his line and the matchup I just feel like there are too many red flags to back him

To play devils advocate. You say he relies on reflexes which is one of the things that tend to fade fast in your 30s and Machida is 39 now. Also, I think Machidas has really bad punching power at middle weight. He hit Weidman clean several times with full power without Weidman even flinching basicly. I'd certainly agree that Brunson has a bunch of defensive flaws but I dont see Machida being able to take advantage at this stage of his career.

Machida beat Mousasi by decision like 2 years ago. I know Mousasi just had a poor performance but had he stayed in the UFC Mousasi could have been the belt holder.

I agree Machida isn't really a power puncher but I expect even at his age Machida will have the speed and reflex advantage over Brunson.

I anticipate this fight will be kinda similar to Silva v. Brunson. Machida is going to have better technique and footwork.

I think you’re right if the fight happened 4-5 years ago.

I’m just wondering why he was taking the peds?

Your speed and reflexes are often the first things to go with the age factor. Was he trying to compensate?

He’s been beaten by pressure fighters lately. My concern is he isn’t going to have the timing and speed/reflexes to avoid brunson early.

I like his line and the matchup I just feel like there are too many red flags to back him

Sure. Machida is getting on in years. I am not advocating a huge bet. But strictly looking at the matchup I think Machida has a significant skill advantage.

Font ml -140 @ 5dimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back