UFC STUDY: Many casual fans never heard of GSP

Could be a skewed polling sample if they just polled purchasers of the Mayweather/McGregor fight but on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if newbie casuals hadn't heard of GSP.

Read the initial post
As it turned out, a large percentage of the PPV audience around today came into the sport with Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor, and have no historical knowledge of it prior to that point in time

Doesn't read as if it was just one PPV

yeah, that's what happens when you don't fight.

Its been ages since he fought tbf, is it really that surprising that there are new fans who have been watching for less than 4/5 years?

Where are the old fans from 5+ gears ago?

It would be like most NBA fans not knowing who Kobe is in a couple years.

yes

like arm barbarian trying to posts unrelated gifs in the first 3 replies of every thread
Lol so I'm not the only one who noticed this. I feel like in 90% of the threads I open Arm Barbarian is one of the first 2 replies.

Where are the old fans from 5+ gears ago?

It would be like most NBA fans not knowing who Kobe is in a couple years.

Kobe transcended into pop culture though
Guys like him, Jeter, Brady are outright celebs.

GSP was a popular MMA fighter but not hosting SNL

Read the initial post

Doesn't read as if it was just one PPV

"As it turned out, a large percentage of the PPV audience around today came into the sport with Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor, and have no historical knowledge of it prior to that point in time"

Not to nitpick words but "PPV audience" can refer to a singular PPV audience or multiple PPV audiences (not sure the grammar). Maybe the poll asked (or had a selection of fighters to choose from) what fighter introduced you to the sport (or something like that). IDK. Maybe they polled people who purchased multiple PPVs (again, curious about the selection of who they polled, what PPV they purchased, etc). I guess it doesn't matter, other than my curiosity, because it is up to them to analyze/interpret the results of whatever demographics they wanted information on.

"As it turned out, a large percentage of the PPV audience around today came into the sport with Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor, and have no historical knowledge of it prior to that point in time"

Not to nitpick words but "PPV audience" can refer to a singular PPV audience or multiple PPV audiences (not sure the grammar). Maybe the poll asked (or had a selection of fighters to choose from) what fighter introduced you to the sport (or something like that). IDK. Maybe they polled people who purchased multiple PPVs (again, curious about the selection of who they polled, what PPV they purchased, etc). I guess it doesn't matter, other than my curiosity, because it is up to them to analyze/interpret the results of whatever demographics they wanted information on.

If it was ONE PPV it would read "UFC polled the buyers of UFC 200"

Its been ages since he fought tbf, is it really that surprising that there are new fans who have been watching for less than 4/5 years?
but you'd think they would have at least heard of him.

If it was ONE PPV it would read "UFC polled the buyers of UFC 200"

I'm not trying to argue or be difficult. I'm just curious. Did they just poll people who only purchased PPVs this year and not previous years because they specify "PPV audience around today" so they excluded those who purchased PPVs X number of years ago....or just included those that only purchased PPV over the past X number of months/year(s). Again, it probably doesn't matter and it's just my curiosity.

I'm not trying to argue or be difficult. I'm just curious. Did they just poll people who only purchased PPVs this year and not previous years because they specific "PPV audience around today" so they excluded those who purchased PPVs X number of years ago....or just included those that only purchased PPV over the past X number of months/year(s). Again, it probably doesn't matter and it's just my curiosity.

You read the info I have & the info Dave reported
I can make up shit, but then I'd be like others on here.

lol

ofc, many of the fans came for ronda and conor and they came after gsp, is normal

hqdefault.jpg

Who here has heard of Genki Sudo.

Everything in mma that happened after is noob!

Kobe transcended into pop culture though
Guys like him, Jeter, Brady are outright celebs.

GSP was a popular MMA fighter but not hosting SNL

Fine...bad example because I was in a hurry.

Should have said this guy instead...a better analogy in terms of their celeb status, fundamentals and style:

Meltzer:

UFC did a marketing study and there was a result that surprised a lot of people, and spoke to the changes in the fan base and rapid turnaround. There was a shockingly high percentage of the current PPV buying audience that had never heard of St-Pierre. As it turned out, a large percentage of the PPV audience around today came into the sport with Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor, and have no historical knowledge of it prior to that point in time

-

I'm curious of the exact number that never heard of him.
At first I was surprised, but I guess it makes sense
This could be to UFC benefit. Because if new fans knew who he was they wouldn't wanna watch him fight. Maybe they will be intrigued by the unknown?

Who here has heard of Genki Sudo.

Everything in mma that happened after is noob!
If he didn t get robbed vs Ludwig we couldve gotten BJ vs Sudo instead of BJ/Ludwig. 1 of the 5 great fights to never happen

That's really hard to believe (not disputing it). He's been in news regularly, this Bisping fight has been a long time coming. Biggest draw 4 years ago and never heard of him, eh? Hmm. Some things make sense now.

Meltzer:

UFC did a marketing study and there was a result that surprised a lot of people, and spoke to the changes in the fan base and rapid turnaround. There was a shockingly high percentage of the current PPV buying audience that had never heard of St-Pierre. As it turned out, a large percentage of the PPV audience around today came into the sport with Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor, and have no historical knowledge of it prior to that point in time

-

I'm curious of the exact number that never heard of him.
At first I was surprised, but I guess it makes sense
I'm convinced that was a play on their part to pay him less money when they got to the negotiation table. They tried to tell him they would have to spend money to "reintroduce" him to fans because he'd been away for 3 years. Horseshit.

Back