UFC STUDY: Many casual fans never heard of GSP

Tell them to go watch a his old title fights and I'm sure they'll become instant fans. Give them this important piece of advice though: don't blink.

well I can understand why people hate "conor fanboys" for that reason I guess.

they're like the modern Incarnation of 2008 tuf fans.

Although his hardcore haters are far more Insufferable Imo, which Is even worse considering they're often older more learned fans.

well I can understand why people hate "conor fanboys" for that reason I guess.

they're like the modern Incarnation of 2008 tuf fans.

Although his hardcore haters are far more Insufferable Imo, which Is even worse considering they're often older more learned fans.

I honestly think it is less about Conor & more the two sides love to troll each other.
As I said, the timing of MMA becoming mainstream & the new era of internet trolling combined to make a lot of shitty fans.

Meltzer:

UFC did a marketing study and there was a result that surprised a lot of people, and spoke to the changes in the fan base and rapid turnaround. There was a shockingly high percentage of the current PPV buying audience that had never heard of St-Pierre. As it turned out, a large percentage of the PPV audience around today came into the sport with Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor, and have no historical knowledge of it prior to that point in time

-

I'm curious of the exact number that never heard of him.
At first I was surprised, but I guess it makes sense
Why did they even release this without a number/percentage?

So we can talk?

Fine, let's talk.

Most of yall on here just as bad as those casuals, with all the elitism and snobbery that comes with being a "knowledgable fan"

What happen d to imawhale or what ever his tag was?

He used to make some awesome GSP highlight vids.

Get him to make some new ones

I think this horrible like system we have on sherdog has something to do with that aswell.

people are more concerned with their likes received then anything else so 90% of the posts made are funny jokes or trolljobs just to collect some likes over here.

I have to agree. The second i saw the like system i was tempted to leave.

This is why Diaz needs to stop pricing himself out of fights before it's too late. Casuals drift away and forget very quickly.

Meltzer:

UFC did a marketing study and there was a result that surprised a lot of people, and spoke to the changes in the fan base and rapid turnaround. There was a shockingly high percentage of the current PPV buying audience that had never heard of St-Pierre. As it turned out, a large percentage of the PPV audience around today came into the sport with Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor, and have no historical knowledge of it prior to that point in time

-

I'm curious of the exact number that never heard of him.
At first I was surprised, but I guess it makes sense

long rambling post....feel free to ignore it

What is the difference between a casual fan and a hardcore fan? What makes one transform from a casual to a hardcore fan? This later question is actually a two part question. Meaning what is the "cut off" for casual to become called a "hardcore" fan and what is the motivating factor that transforms a casual into a hardcore fan.

I thought I was just a casual fan for only a few years but when I go back and look at the various TUF seasons, I realize I have been a casual fan for much longer than I realized. I use to only watch TUF and occasionally a fighter would interest me and I would go back and watch some of their older fights. For example, Wonderboy was on one of the TUF finales and I watched his fight and became interested in his kicks so I watched some of his old fights and some youtube clips on his kick styles. Same goes for Ryan Hall who was actually on TUF. I found his submission game fascinating (they also hyped him quite a bit) and I searched out online videos about him. However all of this was not enough to turn me into what I consider more than a casual fan.

It was actually this season of TUF which had Garbrandt on it who came across badly. I didn't care for him on TUF but was interested enough (due to the drama on TUF) to check out his title fight against Dominick Cruz. That fight really captured my interest. The ducking of punches, fast pace and theatrics of it combined with the skills (footwork, ducking of a punch to a quick turn around and turning it into a takedown, etc) just seemed so artistic. It somehow seemed like beautiful artwork or poetry in motion. I became hooked. I think that is when I saw fights as more than just slug fest or just brutal brawls. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the wars like Gathje vs Johnson however that wasn't what turned me from what I think was a casual into something more than a casual.

I can relate to newer fans, like those brought in by Conor, not knowing the former fighters. I do know of GSP and remember his fight with Koscheck (sp?). I remember GSP (and Koscheck) from TUF. I liked GSP but I never tracked down all his old fights since it didn't click with me (plus at that time I was working and extremely busy).

I use to just lurk on the TUF forum part of this site during the TUF seasons and never came to this part of the site until I created an actual account. I asked about soccer kicks (what were they) and someone nicely explained them to me. I don't understand the contempt shown here sometimes to casuals and newbies. People should want to encourage them to watch the sport rather than criticism them. Educate rather than insult. Everyone here has been nice to me so I have no complaints. Actually, I don't think people here have been rude or full of contempt towards newbies/casuals and rather some just use the word "casual" as an insult so no big deal.

I'm fairly neutral on Conor however I give him props/credit for bringing in a huge influx of new fans. That is good for the sport. Sure extreme fans can sometimes be annoying but that is on the person being annoyed rather than the fanbase themselves. We are in control of our emotions so we can choose to be annoyed or not annoyed. Anyway, I'm just rambling but essentially I am not surprised casuals don't know GSP. I know him but there are a ton of famous fighters that I haven't seen fights for that are mentioned here (Fedor, CroCop, etc...). Maybe I will watch their fights one day but who knows. If people are still talking about them now then they seem like fighters I should look into however I think I may have unrealistically high expectations of them. lol
If I didn't come to this site, I would have never heard of Fedor, CroCop, etc...

long rambling post....feel free to ignore it

Nah, you are too good of a member

ca·su·al
adjective: casual
  1. 1.
    relaxed and unconcerned.
  2. 2.
    not regular or permanent, in particular.
noun
noun: casual; plural noun: casuals
a person who does something irregularly.
"a number of casuals became regular customers"
-

I think all of those fit many sports fans & fans in general

Take music for example. My fav bands I can name every member & every CD & a bad concert or a bad CD would have a bigger effect than a band I'm not as hardcore about.

I have started getting into Rancid & Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards recently & couldn't tell you when they are touring or what every band members name is, but I enjoy their product, but far from "fanatical". If they broke up, my life would not be effected.

A casual MMA is someone that likes MMA & could eventually turn into a hardcore fan if things align right.
You never know what that might be.
I took a very casual fan of MLB to their first Yankee game & the experience * atmosphere turned them into a huge fan. Others we went with were like "if you get tix again, maybe I'll go"

I don't understand the contempt shown here sometimes to casuals and newbies. People should want to encourage them to watch the sport rather than criticism them. Educate rather than insult.

That says more about the person saying it then the person being called it.
Just ignore the trolls & those who's whole purpose on here is to incite/argue.

But I will say this & I think you seen it from your history of "likes" in certain threads.
There are a lot of people that are not versed on certain topics, but insist they are anyway.
They refuse to listen to those that actually are versed in the topic & just want to argue without any base of knowledge.
If a new fan of the sport comes to the forum & post as if he been watching MMA for a decade, then things will escalate.

I would be curious to know how they did their marketing study. Who did they poll (was it a poll) and how did they select the polling demographic? It sounds like the demographic consisted of new casual fans. I think older (or longer term) casual fans would know of GSP. Just based on personal experience as a long term casual fan who is now a newbie hardcore (lol) fan, that is the only way I can explain their findings. What this through an online poll.....any info on the study design/implementation/etc? Did they give numbers? A long time ago I took several research and statistics courses and later was involved in published research articles (decades ago but those where randomized double blinded placebo controlled studies). Granted, this did not involve marketing but I do find research and study design interesting.

and surveys/polls said Trump would comfortably lose the election

where you at Hillary???

diaz-angry.jpg

I would be curious to know how they did their marketing study. Who did they poll (was it a poll) and how did they select the polling demographic? It sounds like the demographic consisted of new casual fans. I think older (or longer term) casual fans would know of GSP. Just based on personal experience as a long term casual fan who is now a newbie hardcore (lol) fan, that is the only way I can explain their findings. What this through an online poll.....any info on the study design/implementation/etc? Did they give numbers? A long time ago I took several research and statistics courses and later was involved in published research articles (decades ago but those where randomized double blinded placebo controlled studies). Granted, this did not involve marketing but I do find research and study design interesting.

It seems like they polled PPV buyers & asked them various questions that UFC wanted to know & I guess Meltz found out about the GSP.

It seems like they polled PPV buyers & asked them various questions that UFC wanted to know & I guess Meltz found out about the GSP.

Could be a skewed polling sample if they just polled purchasers of the Mayweather/McGregor fight but on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if newbie casuals hadn't heard of GSP.

It will be interesting to see how GSP draws, really his appeal was always different to guys like Lesnar, Conor and Chael targeting his own built up hard-core fans rather than casuals, will his fanbase still be around or will they have moved on?

This is what you get after years of short time strategy.

Back