UFC STUDY: Many casual fans never heard of GSP

Meltzer:

UFC did a marketing study and there was a result that surprised a lot of people, and spoke to the changes in the fan base and rapid turnaround. There was a shockingly high percentage of the current PPV buying audience that had never heard of St-Pierre. As it turned out, a large percentage of the PPV audience around today came into the sport with Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor, and have no historical knowledge of it prior to that point in time

-

I'm curious of the exact number that never heard of him.
At first I was surprised, but I guess it makes sense
giphy (2).gif

We shouldn't be surprised, the Ronda/Conor influx is pretty recent.

I am now very curious to see how this PPV does...GSP was pretty much a lock to do around 750k buys in his day. UFC should start marketing the shit out of this fight now. Release all of GSP's old fights and get the Embedded crew fired up.

I'm not surprised

Why I also think this card won't do anything more than 650k legit, card is pretty poor.

2 good fights and that's it.
A pointless shitty WMMA fight, and some no namers.

Masdival/Thompson
Cummins/Anderson

Are 2 other good fights but that's it,

Hopefully they are on the main card

Well a forum is supposed to be full of real fans and sherdog has the biggest ratio of ignorant fans I've ever seen on any sport forum. So it's not surprising that casuals are even more ignorant.

I think a lot of people watching MMA just like the violence and don't really care about the sport aspect of it.

I keep telling you folk, MMA has the LEAST knowledgeable fan base/community in all sports. Lowest IQ for the sport fan base.

It is not only the fans. It is the promoter, the coaches, the fighters, the media all the way down to the fans.

I have NEVER in my life watched a sport where a masterful performance was dismissed as boring by the ENTIRE community. Never. LOL

Nobody called the 2001 Baltimore Ravens boring, Nobody called the 2004 Detroit Pistons boring, Nobody called the 2016 Denver Broncos boring, Nobody called the 2006 Italian national soccer team boring.

Least knowledgeable fanbase in sport, and now we are getting some proof. LOL

I think a part of it is the fact that it is a new sport & has become popular in the age of the internet where many just like to bitch.

I never seen NFL, MLB fans hope that the team they watch & obsess about fail or lose money or do a bad rating, etc.

It is a really weird case study

Meltzer:

UFC did a marketing study and there was a result that surprised a lot of people, and spoke to the changes in the fan base and rapid turnaround. There was a shockingly high percentage of the current PPV buying audience that had never heard of St-Pierre. As it turned out, a large percentage of the PPV audience around today came into the sport with Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor, and have no historical knowledge of it prior to that point in time

-

By that logic wouldn't it also be true that a shockingly high PPV buying audience would not be familiar with Anderson Silva, Nick Diaz, Dan Henderson, Randy Couture, BJ Penn, Chuck Lidell, Tito Ortiz, Cro Cop, Fedor and Frankie Edgar?

If you look at PPV buys in the last two years that don't include McGregor, Rousey or Jones/Cormier, how many sold mere than 400,000?

I don't buy the marketing study and its unclear what they mean by "high percentage."

The issue is moot because we will find out November 5 whether GSP is still a draw.

Meltzer:

-

The UFC has only themselves to blame, they tried to erase him and even refused to offer him a fight in 2016 when he was demanding a fight and hired a lawyer and they still told him to go screw.

Anyone who doesn't know GSP doesn't even qualify as a casual fan.

This isn't a deep-dive into the historical record, he's basically a top 5 MMA figure, by popularity or performance and certainly by the combination of performance and popularity.

It'd be like a basketball fan not knowing who Tim Duncan is.

So we held up the middleweight division just so they could squeeze a 500k buyrate out of GSP-Bisping. Cool

It seemed like they covered him up a bit.
Hardly mentioned his name when he left.
Didn't show his old fights.
They didn't show the noobs of his importance.

They'd have to show his old old old fights for them to even be worth showing. Showing any one of his last ten fights would bore the shit out of any seeking fan. Not hating but let's be real no ko power, repeated takedowns top control and never finishing is not exciting esp for fresh fans.

GSP's "stock" is at an all time low. Don't tell him though.

<{Heymansnicker}>

Well a forum is supposed to be full of real fans and sherdog has the biggest ratio of ignorant fans I've ever seen on any sport forum. So it's not surprising that casuals are even more ignorant.

I think a lot of people watching MMA just like the violence and don't really care about the sport aspect of it.

I keep telling you folk, MMA has the LEAST knowledgeable fan base/community in all sports. Lowest IQ for the sport fan base.

It is not only the fans. It is the promoter, the coaches, the fighters, the media all the way down to the fans.

I have NEVER in my life watched a sport where a masterful performance was dismissed as boring by the ENTIRE community. Never. LOL

Nobody called the 2001 Baltimore Ravens boring, Nobody called the 2004 Detroit Pistons boring, Nobody called the 2016 Denver Broncos boring, Nobody called the 2006 Italian national soccer team boring.

Least knowledgeable fanbase in sport, and now we are getting some proof. LOL

I think a part of it is the fact that it is a new sport & has become popular in the age of the internet where many just like to bitch.

I never seen NFL, MLB fans hope that the team they watch & obsess about fail or lose money or do a bad rating, etc.

It is a really weird case study

If you think this is bad, you should come to South America and try to talk about soccer with any casual or semi-hardcore fan

It's true. I've noticed regular people referring to Ronda and McGregor by name in the last few years. That's rare for UFC fighters.

Even back then, when GSP was fighting, nobody ever referred to him by name. It was always, "UFC this, UFC that..."

I think this horrible like system we have on sherdog has something to do with that aswell.

people are more concerned with their likes received then anything else so 90% of the posts made are funny jokes or trolljobs just to collect some likes over here.
Sherdog has always been like that , even before the likes , Gifs memes trolling were invented at Sherdog

Meltzer:

-

I'm sure the only knew 4 fighters in the UFC.

this is weird just release the analysis if not it's just click bait
I can't imagine someone paying 60$ if they don't know something about mma
I don't pay for football or tennis and couldn't name 10 players

Back