UFC Performance Institute Shanghai to open in 2019, will foster development of Asian MMA talent

cool more D-League fighters making it into the UFC

Waste of money. Mlb has tried to develop baseball players over there for years and has failed. WWE also failed trying to develop athletes over there.

Should had put it in Berlin or another big city in Europe and signed young guys and had them develop them there

Bringing that performance institute cardio to Asia!!

Good for them. Not that this is anything new to China or anything. I believe the Kunlun center in Beijing is about 2x the size of what this is planned to be and it's been open for a while now. They also got a number of gyms and opened another gym/venue in Tongling a couple months ago. GoH (the promotion with Qiu Jianliang, Wei Rui etc.) is involved in a project that I think is opening up soon, gym, event venue etc. and think that's also much bigger than this UFC planned thing.

Pretty cool, I can't wait to see what develops out there. Wonder if they will be partnering or competing with ONE Championship? In Singapore One has 5 gyms under it's wing. Evolve, JFC, Impact, Fight G Academy, and Team Highlight Reel. Will those dudes train at this new Gym, so many questions.
ONE isn't the competition in China at least.

I'm very excited with these news, recently two of the best kickboxers of the world, #1 FW Qiu Jianliang and #3 BW Wei Rui, made their MMA debuts. They both lost, being submitted, but to hear that they're interested in MMA is very interesting, because standing they can wreck 95%+ of MMA fighters with ease, specially Qiu, who is phenomenal and very unorthodox. Give them proper high lv training on the ground (will take a few years of course) and hell, you get 2 top strikers. They're both great athletes under 30 so there's still time to work with them.
Think QJL also had a boxing match. Not sure how much these MMA fights were of real interest to them tbh. To me at least, it's more seemed just that GoH being a little aimless at how they want to go forward and had their 4 main guys all do MMA fights and try and hype them up as multi-discipline guys.

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/11/ufc-p...9-will-foster-development-of-asian-mma-talent

LAS VEGAS – China will host the UFC’s second Performance Institute, and construction is already underway for the massive 93,000-square foot facility.

UFC officials told MMAjunkie the new Shanghai training center is approximately three times larger than the original facility in Las Vegas and comes with a price tag of some $13 million, as well as an annual multi-million dollar operating budget.

“It’s an exciting day for the UFC and the UFC Performance Institute in that we are expanding our resources globally,” UFC VP of Operations for UFC Performance Institute James Kimball told MMAjunkie. “Part of our ambition from day one with the UFC Performance Institute was to expand upon our resources and build a network of facilities globally, the first of which will be located in Shanghai, China.

“We’re looking to open the facility in Q2 2019. Construction for the facility is currently underway.”

Research before posting? You must be new around here

Well one of my practicing arts is Wing Chun and back in 2013 it was announced that Wing Chun Traditional teachings was to return to the Shaolin Temple with permission of Abbot Shi Yongxin after 500 years of it being disbanded, it was with the thought in mine to put back the missing pieces to the most aggressive branch of Chinese Martial arts devised and revolutionize MMA.

Now its been quiet for awhile and now this news, wow <Eek2.0>

More Here: http://www.cheungswingchun.com/g/1247228/return-of-wing-chun-to-shaolin-temple.html

Shaolin kept practices Picture:- https://i.pinimg.com/originals/af/01/42/af014296a6f27d77712ca04d96d3b5a3.jpg

People ares still very unaware that behind all the fancy moves of the Shaolin Kung Fu lies the hidden secrets of its beauty deadly art. Just like Karate in the KATA's the Shoalin have kept much to themselves, hidden away from plane sight

Michael Sealey

Published on Nov 12, 2013

A short preview of the historic ceremony held at the Shaolin Temple, Henan Province, China on the 9th November 2013 - to return the Art of Wing Chun Kung Fu to its original birthplace within the Shaolin Temple. Grandmaster William Cheung met with the Abbot Shi Yongxin and the Shaolin monks to officiate the prestigious return of Wing Chun, with the celebratory unveiling of a black marble plaque placed within the temple courtyard. Wing Chun practitioners from across the globe came to attend and support the momentous occasion.

AkademiaWingTsun
Published on Jan 3, 2013

http://www.wingtsun.pl On 13th Novemeber 2010, Hong Kong Ving Tsun Si Fu Kong Chi Keung has been to Shaolin South in Quanzhou, Fujian Province, given a wooden dummy as a gift back to the monks, and stayed 3 days teaching them the wooden dummy techniques 香港詠春江志強師傅,於2010年11月13日,贈送詠春木人樁返回福建泉州少林寺,並留寺三天並教授詠春木人樁法給少林寺內武僧之部份練習片段。

So I'm eager to see what they have planned in the attempt to revolutionize the systems as a complete modernization and review by the Chinese martial arts federation.

if you have been tracking movement there has been heaps goind on in recent years, kinda interesting hence the first post.

UFC Chinese MMA ................Will see!;)

Last edited:
Source MMAFIGHTING.COM

The UFC is making a major investment in China and the future of the promotion in Asia.

A new UFC Performance Institute — the second of its kind — is currently being built in Shanghai, officials told MMA Fighting. The facility, which will be more than 93,000-square feet, will cost $13 million with an annual operating budget in the millions. An official announcement is expected to be made this week, in accordance with the UFC’s card Saturday in Beijing.

The UFC opened the original UFC PI in Las Vegas two years ago, a $14 million facility meant mostly for fighters currently on the roster to go for strength and conditioning, nutrition, physical therapy, rehabilitation and more. The Shanghai training center — three times the size of the original — will focus mostly on development. The UFC will bring in fighters on “scholarships” from around the region with an eye toward getting them ready for competition on big shows. Current UFC athletes will also be welcome.

UFCPI_Shanghai_Renderings_10.jpg

What the Shanghai UFC PI will look like from the outside.
UFC
“I could not be more excited about the UFC Performance Institute opening in Shanghai,” UFC president Dana White said in a statement. “We know there is a ton of talent throughout Asia and now we will be able to find them and offer them all the incredible training, nutrition, and physical therapy that UFC fighters are getting in the Performance Institute at our headquarters in Las Vegas, right there in China. This is another game changer for the sport, UFC, and potential athletes throughout Asia.”

The UFC PI in Shanghai is currently under construction and is scheduled to open sometime in the second quarter of 2019. This is a project the UFC Performance Institute executives have been working on since the beginning of the year. Recruitment of staff in China is nearly complete and there will be a mix of English and native speakers.

In addition to its usage for fighters, the Shanghai PI will be the UFC’s home base in Asia, housing executives and staff. There will also be facilities and technology where the UFC can produce original programming and even house events.

“I think it’s pretty evident why the UFC sees international expansion and growth in Asia and China, specifically. And for us, for the UFC and the UFC PI, the vehicle in which we’re willing to achieve that is through developing talent,” said James Kimball, the UFC Performance Institute’s vice president of operations. “So, in terms of the model and what’s different … in Vegas, obviously we’re working with athletes that are currently on the UFC roster. That facility will be available to athletes currently on the UFC roster, but predominantly we will be developing talent. So we’ll be recruiting talent from mainland China and the surrounding regions in [Asia-Pacific] to get them UFC caliber and UFC approved.”

UFCPI_Shanghai_Renderings_2.jpg

Forrest Griffin, the UFC Hall of Famer and UFC vice president of athlete development, said fighters from China and the rest of the region will be recruited by the Shanghai staff. Another difference between Vegas and Shanghai is that the latter will have MMA-centric coaches, rather than just strength-and-conditioning, nutrition and physical therapy personnel. But, the officials stated, that does not mean the UFC PI is trying to take fighters away from their current gyms.

“There’s actually a couple of smaller fight shows in China,” Griffin said. “There are several really good gyms. We’ll work through the gyms and perhaps with the combat-sports related Olympic movement as well. In my opinion, it’s an underrepresented athlete population. I think as the sport gains more exposure, we’l find a lot more people that want to compete in MMA from that region.”

With the addition of UFC PI Shanghai, the Performance Institute staff will grow from 15 to more than 30. The plan is to have both facilities working together to collect data and information about MMA athletes with an eye toward improving things for athletes and the sport as a whole.

UFCPI_Shanghai_Renderings_21.jpg

“We’re somewhat jealous of the Shanghai facility for its size and capabilities,” said Duncan French, the UFC PI’s vice president of performance. “The Shanghai facility will be part of the greater Performance Institute ecosystem and give us the ability to aggregate more data and gain more information.”

China is a growing market in multiple aspects of business. Griffin said 36 million people in the region identify as UFC fans, according to internal data. It’s obvious why Shanghai, China’s most international city, was the destination for the second UFC PI.

However, the promotion is not done. Kimball said the goal has always been to expand the number of UFC Performance Institutes in the world. It’s not clear how many there will be yet or what country is next, but there are hopes to grow further.

“Absolutely, there are ambitions and plans for it,” Kimball said. “Where and when, I don’t know if we’re there yet. But it’s something that we’re constantly evaluating and we see as a part of our future.”

But they are getting rid of FLW... at least Kevin Lee will be able to take it to the next level.

Sounds like they’re building one expensive brothel...

<{titihmm}>

Great idea! I'm sure they can fit 2 Chinese per treadmill and 3 or 4 on each exercise bike!

This and a lot of Westerners though they mean well often unconsciously pull up stereotypes to kind of ease back on this sometimes.

Chinese are getting a lot taller, especially urban dwellers, which has been the case for people all over the world. 5'10" is a decent height. People are always upping the standard to say "nuh uh!" ....the growth in the past few decades has been impressive.

Unfortunately I am from a poor region of South Asia with poor nutrition and our height has been the same more or less since Medieval times.
I lived with a guy from northern China briefly. He was around 6`2" and I was surprised one day when I seen a family photo and realised he was average height among his family, including his cousins. Not sure where he was from but he told me most people in his city were all pretty tall. Can't recall the reason he gave if any but it gave me a whole new perspective.

This is a nice way to foster talent.
Based on sheer numbers, there will eventually I am sure be some standouts coming through in the 135-155 divisions.

I still dont think China will ever be able to compete with Japanese MMA though.
Those guys have the 'warrior bushido' in their culture and soul.
But it will push up the asian mma scene and make this a more global sport, until china founds their own mma orgs.

i'd like to see how it develops. i wonder how long it will take to see the standouts appear. i think maybe the main reason we have so many american,brazilian, eastern european mma fighters is sort of the 'national base' of wrestling/boxing/jiu jitsu/sambo etc in those countries. i don't know if china yet has a lot of youth competing in stuff like that, maybe in a generation or two?

I still dont think China will ever be able to compete with Japanese MMA though.
Those guys have the 'warrior bushido' in their culture and soul.
But it will push up the asian mma scene and make this a more global sport, until china founds their own mma orgs.
China already has it's own MMA orgs, some are KB + MMA though. A few examples are Kunlun Fight (KF), Glory of Heroes (GoH), Rebel FC and Wu Lin Feng (WLF).
And Japanese MMA is more irrelevant than ever, their only decent fighter in UFC is Okami. Worldwide speaking there's a few guys like Horiguchi, Ogikubo, Yachi, Ishiwatari, Ishii and Motoya. That's about it. Chinese MMA is rising and in a few years it should catch JMMA. In UFC there's many promising Chinese prospects and not a single one Japanese.
Waste of money. Mlb has tried to develop baseball players over there for years and has failed. WWE also failed trying to develop athletes over there.

Should had put it in Berlin or another big city in Europe and signed young guys and had them develop them there
False equivalent.
Considering China's past with martial arts and their recent success with kickboxing (they have many talented guys at the top 10 BW and FW), there's no reason to why they couldn't improve and become a force in MMA. Baseball is a North American sport, they have no tradition with that. WWE isn't even a sport lol
Think QJL also had a boxing match. Not sure how much these MMA fights were of real interest to them tbh. To me at least, it's more seemed just that GoH being a little aimless at how they want to go forward and had their 4 main guys all do MMA fights and try and hype them up as multi-discipline guys.
Timing seems too suspect to believe that man, these guys have their MMA debuts and a few weeks after these huge news regarding Chinese MMA are reported? IMO they are interested and asked for a MMA fight to test themselves after hearing the rumors.. you could be right and i'm just going by wishful thinking though.
i'd like to see how it develops. i wonder how long it will take to see the standouts appear. i think maybe the main reason we have so many american,brazilian, eastern european mma fighters is sort of the 'national base' of wrestling/boxing/jiu jitsu/sambo etc in those countries. i don't know if china yet has a lot of youth competing in stuff like that, maybe in a generation or two?
I heard China has a pretty good wrestling program but that's not my thing so i don't really know.

UFCPI_Shanghai_Renderings_10.jpg

What the Shanghai UFC PI will look like from the outside.

Wow it looks like dogshit. Is that real? It looks like it was made using SketchUp.

It's as if they stuck a UFC sign on a chinese factory
Hopefully they'll be able to manufacture some prospects.

Wow it looks like dogshit. Is that real? It looks like it was made using SketchUp.

It's as if they stuck a UFC sign on a chinese factory
Hopefully they'll be able to manufacture some prospects.
I think that's just a presentation, it's still being made, will come out on Q2 2019

I think that's just a presentation, it's still being made, will come out on Q2 2019
Yes its an artist impression. Those things are usually done before construction starts and they look better than the final building
E.g
tmobilearena.png

That's why I'm surprised it looks so lame.
And it definitely looks like a retrofitted factory.

Back