UFC Performance Institute Shanghai to open in 2019, will foster development of Asian MMA talent

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://mmajunkie.com/2018/11/ufc-p...9-will-foster-development-of-asian-mma-talent

LAS VEGAS – China will host the UFC’s second Performance Institute, and construction is already underway for the massive 93,000-square foot facility.

UFC officials told MMAjunkie the new Shanghai training center is approximately three times larger than the original facility in Las Vegas and comes with a price tag of some $13 million, as well as an annual multi-million dollar operating budget.

“It’s an exciting day for the UFC and the UFC Performance Institute in that we are expanding our resources globally,” UFC VP of Operations for UFC Performance Institute James Kimball told MMAjunkie. “Part of our ambition from day one with the UFC Performance Institute was to expand upon our resources and build a network of facilities globally, the first of which will be located in Shanghai, China.

“We’re looking to open the facility in Q2 2019. Construction for the facility is currently underway.”

Yup mma as a curriculum in school like Judo. Go China

Finally going to get that Kung fu grand master in the UFC I hope lol.

So Chinese fightersare gonna start missing weight like crazy now?

lol jk

It's actually a good idea to build something over there. It shows a dedication to growing in the country, and helps build their brand/ Road FC did something similar, building a "multi-space" gym, spa, conference center and even a night club(!).

Good to see them putting their money into the market
Hopefully it works out

Why? They're closing the FLW division...

lol jk

It's actually a good idea to build something over there. It shows a dedication to growing in the country, and helps build their brand/ Road FC did something similar, building a "multi-space" gym, spa, conference center and even a night club(!).

A nightclub?
lol

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/11/ufc-p...9-will-foster-development-of-asian-mma-talent

LAS VEGAS – China will host the UFC’s second Performance Institute, and construction is already underway for the massive 93,000-square foot facility.

UFC officials told MMAjunkie the new Shanghai training center is approximately three times larger than the original facility in Las Vegas and comes with a price tag of some $13 million, as well as an annual multi-million dollar operating budget.

“It’s an exciting day for the UFC and the UFC Performance Institute in that we are expanding our resources globally,” UFC VP of Operations for UFC Performance Institute James Kimball told MMAjunkie. “Part of our ambition from day one with the UFC Performance Institute was to expand upon our resources and build a network of facilities globally, the first of which will be located in Shanghai, China.

“We’re looking to open the facility in Q2 2019. Construction for the facility is currently underway.”

Really interesting.

I remember this Viceland vid talking about the government or the general public not particularly being positive to mixed martial arts vs the traditional martial arts. It was just last year as well. It seems times have changed with those beijing events

lol jk

<mma4>

A big asian push without a 125 division?

Chinese MMA market presents interesting questions, like is there one?

Great, now Asians get a chance to train UFC..

A big asian push without a 125 division?
The UFC has like 10 Chinese fighters on the roster right now, none of whom fight at 125.

Then again, the best Chinese fighter not in the UFC right now is Chinese -- Meixuan Zhang.

Ive had friends visit China recently, they say all the kids there are much taller and bigger than previous generations. China is much wealthier than even just 20 yrs ago, they probably have lots of access to food unlike poor generations.

Friends tell me all the young guys in the big city are 5 ft 10 or taller (yes, i know 5 ft 10 isnt tall, but its a dramatic gain than previous generations). Was told 6 ft isnt uncommon anymore, at least amongst young males in the big city. Im guessing rural countryside is poor so not seeing as dramatic gains. Im not Chinese, nor do i claim to know much about China

My friends tell me no one in China cares about MMA. If UFC can make it popular there, they can potentially make billions of dollars, so it makes sense to do this

Last edited:
it's hard to think of a more natural market for MMA than the Chinese market. It also happens to be the largest market on earth and one that is quickly increasing in wealth. hopefully the UFC is able to find good partners in China that are not only looking for a quick buck(Chinese law forces business people to partner with Chinese for most businesses). Once the martial arts tradition of mainland China starts accepting MMA en masse, there will be a massive influx of Chinese MMA fighters.

Back