UFC Fight Night: Błachowicz vs. Rakić

1. I do not play enough half butterfly to say whether the position is absolutely wrong.

2. I can say comfortably from the footage that Fukuda is a very well trained grappler, and stepping on his opponent's calf to assist the butterfly hook appears to be something he likes to do. He didn't invent that on the fly. Just because something is uncommon does not mean it is wrong.

3. From reviewing the footage, it appears Fukuda gets his guard passed because he voluntarily lets go of his stomping foot to attempt to sweep Taira. In order to execute the sweep he was going for, he had to release it so that he could generate power by driving off the floor, as Danaher explains here:

Yeah, it's just one of the downside of playing any kind of hooking guard/sweep is that if your opponent reads it, has good base and is quicker, then it puts you in the shit.

Personally I don't find my hooking stuff really works on anyone above purple.

Yeah, it's just one of the downside of playing any kind of hooking guard/sweep is that if your opponent reads it, has good base and is quicker, then it puts you in the shit.

Personally I don't find my hooking stuff really works on anyone above purple.
That particular sweep is virtually impossible to execute unless you have control of the arm of the direction you are sweeping them towards. Fukuda was relying on a relatively weak underhook.

I’m not pretending to be a jiu jitsu expert but I thought fukuda was doing some dumb stuff on the ground, and I pointed that out. Getting pretty cute with someone who’s easily out grappling you, in a title fight

Last edited:
1. I do not play enough half butterfly to say whether the position is absolutely wrong.

2. I can say comfortably from the footage that Fukuda is a very well trained grappler, and stepping on his opponent's calf to assist the butterfly hook appears to be something he likes to do. He didn't invent that on the fly. Just because something is uncommon does not mean it is wrong.

3. From reviewing the footage, it appears Fukuda gets his guard passed because he voluntarily lets go of his stomping foot to attempt to sweep Taira. In order to execute the sweep he was going for, he had to release it so that he could generate power by driving off the floor, as Danaher explains here:

Watch very closely as Fukuda's left foot travels underneath his right butterfly hook in an attempt to execute this. He still has connection with the butterfly hook while he is doing this. It is in this moment that he is passed.

so what are your thoughts on tairas jiu jitsu?

and have you bet the fight?

Everyone made weight.

opponents-jan-blachowicz-of-poland-and-aleksandar-rakic-of-austria-picture-id1397080222

opponents-ryan-spann-and-ion-cutelaba-of-moldova-face-off-during-the-picture-id1397080978

opponents-davey-grant-of-england-and-louis-smolka-face-off-during-the-picture-id1397080235

opponents-katlyn-chookagian-and-amanda-ribas-of-brazil-face-off-the-picture-id1397080749

opponents-frank-camacho-of-guam-and-manuel-torres-of-mexico-face-off-picture-id1397080759

opponents-jake-hadley-of-england-and-allan-nascimento-of-brazil-face-picture-id1397080766

opponents-viviane-araujo-of-brazil-and-andrea-lee-face-off-during-the-picture-id1397080780

opponents-michael-johnson-and-alan-patrick-of-brazil-face-off-during-picture-id1397080796

opponents-virna-jandiroba-of-brazil-and-angela-hill-face-off-during-picture-id1397080830

opponents-tatsuro-taira-of-japan-and-carlos-candelario-face-off-the-picture-id1397080832

opponents-nick-maximov-and-andre-petroski-face-off-during-the-ufc-picture-id1397080840

so what are your thoughts on tairas jiu jitsu?

and have you bet the fight?
I have zero lean on the fight. American grapplers are generally much better scramblers/wrestlers than guys in Japan, so this could be a really close fight, or Taira could smoke him

I have zero lean on the fight. American grapplers are generally much better scramblers/wrestlers than guys in Japan, so this could be a really close fight, or Taira could smoke him
Yea that’s pretty much how I feel. Likely value on candelario but it’s perceived value. There are question marks on both guys

can’t blame people for passing

Someone's write up from the discord:

Maximov vs Petroski:
Line is pretty wide, but the problem is that Petroski is a unit early on but gasses bad late. There's gonna be a ton of grappling here which is making me lean Maximov. Petroski has a great grappling base but I don't think his cardio is up to par with Maximov's. On the feet I do favor Petroski, but then again I favor nearly every middleweight on the feet against Maximov. But I don't think it stays on the feet for too long. This whole fight just reeks of grueling grappling exchanges and that plays in Maximov's game. Petroski needs to bag the first two rounds to win. Maximov will hit a ceiling one day, but I don't think this is the fight. No play here

Candelario vs Taira
(This is a rewrite from the last time it was booked): Taira is a decent prospect, but this line is very wide. Taira still very young, but has faced dog crap competition. Taira has great backtakes and decent leg kicks, but Candelario is a legit fighter imo. I think this is an extremely close fight, but I lean Taira by the slightest of margins due to Candelario's history of giving up takedowns. Who knows, the Japanese kid could come out and smoke him and people will be like "Wow Taira -800 in hindsight", but I think this line is very wide and it'll be really close. Taira has wins over a whole retirement home lmao, like I can't gage how good he is based off his wins. Taira by Split Decision after a few convenient backtakes is my pick.

Hill vs Jandiroba:
Everytime Jandiroba has fought against someone without elite grappling, she rolls pretty easily. Esparza, Dern, and Ribas all have elite grappling and that nullified her own grappling. Hill falls into that "not elite grappling" category. I just can't see Hill effectively defending the grappling for 15 minutes. Jandiroba has taken down better grapplers, so this is gonna be tough for Hill. Should roll here. If Hill keeps it on the feet, she probably lights her up, but Hill has been taken down by Waterson, who's an Atomweight and Yoder(lol). She also got submitted by Markos which is a huge red flag. Jandiroba submits her pretty easily honestly. I played Jandiroba straight and Sub

Johnson vs Patrick:
Johnson would beat Charles Oliveira for the belt then lose it to Dave from the third row. P4P most inconsistent fighter. This guy is 3-9 in his last 12, which is brutal. And he has wins over legit competition like Ferguson and Barboza. And that Poirier knockout was some hood high school parkinglot shit. Like eyes rolled back, it was bad. Can't believe I'm gonna say this, but I don't see a reason why he shouldn't fuck Patrick up. Patrick is 39 years old, doesn't push a pace, and is a big quitter. Johnson isn't that bad of a grappler, he just struggles against chain wrestlers. Patrick is not that guy. Dude has no striking and gasses bad. Patrick ain't the BJJ ace Moises is and the cardio machine Guida is. If Michael Johnson pulls a Michael Johnson, then I guess I look stupid, but I think this is a great fight for him. I bet him here

Lee vs Araujo: I see a lot of people on Lee, but I actually like Araujo here. I honestly think she's the better fighter. Faster, more powerful, better grappling. Her main problem is that her gas tank isn't the best, so she fades in the third. Lee has good volume and a good chin that could win her the fight, but I like Araujo to win here. It will be rough because Lee does push a pace. If I was to describe Lee's style, it'd be "Cardio kickboxer." If Araujo pursues the grappling, she'll win a lot easier, but who knows. Fights goes to split decisions is a good bet. I bet Araujo by Decision here.

Hadley vs Nascimento: This is a very tough fight to call. Nascimento is a lot better than people give him credit for. Lost really close decisions to Paiva and Ulanbekov. I mean his strength of schedule has been pretty crazy. He boutta fight Moreno after this fight or something, like give the guy a break. I think this fight will take places in all areas of the game, and while Nascimento is too comfortable off his back, this will be a coin flip fight and Nascimento being the much more experienced fighter can make all the difference. I think the line is a little wide, so I gotta do with Nascimento. Has fought the much better competition as well and looked good doing it, despite not always winning. I took a shot at him.

Manuel Torres vs Camacho: I know he's pretty washed, but Camacho is still a legit grappler man and he can probably submit this guy no doubt. Torres is kind of stupid and has beaten no one but uber drivers. If Camacho grapples, this is gonna be a beat down. Camacho hasn't been grappling lately so who knows and obviously Camacho can't take a punch and could get bonked, but yeah, it really depends on how smart Camacho plays it. Camacho by Sub is a wide line. Camacho has also fought at 170, and their levels of competition are night and day. Camacho was fighting Dariush and Geoff Neal while Torres has been fighting Carlos from the food truck across the street. Camacho is very hittable tho so yeah he probably gets killed lol. I'm going with Camacho R2 Sub. Watch Torres KO him then gets someone crazy like Terrance Mckinney.

Chookagian vs Ribas: This has the potential to be a Chookagian field day. Chookagian has the weirdest ability to edge out decisions. She's like the WMMA Arlovski. I hate watching her fight. Always edging the fight with 50 air punches. It was honestly a crime that she couldn't submit Walmart Shevchenko. Isn't she a brown belt under John Danaher? And she couldn't finish a RNC on this bum on the mat. Cmon man. She should win this pretty easily. Will keep this on the feet and 30-27 her. People think Chookagian might knock her out because Ribas is chinny....but you gotta hit your opponent to knock them out. Get ready for "Hut hut hut!" While she jabs the air for a Decision. Biggest factor is gonna be the big size advantage. Like if Ribas was the same size, I'd honestly pick her to win, but yeah I see Chookagian using her size to keep it on the feet. Rooting for Ribas hard tho

Grant vs Smolka: Smolka gets chinned here. Maybe a few years ago, when Smolka had durability, he would've probably won this fight, but can't trust his chin. Though Smolka gets chinned, let's not act like Grant deserves to be -300 here. Dude has a couple wars and lands a couple KO shots and now he's Mike Tyson? Cmon this is wide. If Smolka doesn't get KOed, this fight becomes very interesting. Again, Grant probably finishes but be very careful. Grant went to a split decision with Popov who's a complete bum not too long ago lmao.
Spann vs Cutelaba: I think this is a really good fight for Cutelaba. Besides a random knockout, how does Spann win this? Cutelaba is also much more durable, while Spann's chin is styrofoam. Cutelaba needs one shot and I think it'll be enough. His gas tank and size disadvantage is a concern but besides that, Cutelaba is gonna kill him. Spann reacts to punches really weird and if he covers up like he usually does, Cutelaba is gonna murder him against the fence. Cutelaba by KO

Rakic vs Blachowicz
: Jan always a live dog and he is...once again...an underdog. Jan looked pretty bad in his last fight and he's getting up their in age. Rakic not finishing Anthony Smith was a tragedy. Smith was on his deathbed and Rakic decided to lay on him. Rakic is such a gifted athlete, but man does he waste a lot of his gift. Rakic probably edges a decision honestly. Rakic can find grappling success early, but Jan is a legit grappler. This is gonna be a tough pick, but I'm going with Rakic. Blachowicz always a live dog of course and the odds may be a bit wide, but I still think Rakic wins. Jan not a bad dog here tho.

Yea that’s pretty much how I feel. Likely value on candelario but it’s perceived value. There are question marks on both guys

can’t blame people for passing
I ended up playing Taira -165 -3.5 pt spread for action. In part because I had a dream that he won via knee to the body KO.

Someone's write up from the discord:

Maximov vs Petroski:
Line is pretty wide, but the problem is that Petroski is a unit early on but gasses bad late. There's gonna be a ton of grappling here which is making me lean Maximov. Petroski has a great grappling base but I don't think his cardio is up to par with Maximov's. On the feet I do favor Petroski, but then again I favor nearly every middleweight on the feet against Maximov. But I don't think it stays on the feet for too long. This whole fight just reeks of grueling grappling exchanges and that plays in Maximov's game. Petroski needs to bag the first two rounds to win. Maximov will hit a ceiling one day, but I don't think this is the fight. No play here

Candelario vs Taira
(This is a rewrite from the last time it was booked): Taira is a decent prospect, but this line is very wide. Taira still very young, but has faced dog crap competition. Taira has great backtakes and decent leg kicks, but Candelario is a legit fighter imo. I think this is an extremely close fight, but I lean Taira by the slightest of margins due to Candelario's history of giving up takedowns. Who knows, the Japanese kid could come out and smoke him and people will be like "Wow Taira -800 in hindsight", but I think this line is very wide and it'll be really close. Taira has wins over a whole retirement home lmao, like I can't gage how good he is based off his wins. Taira by Split Decision after a few convenient backtakes is my pick.

Hill vs Jandiroba:
Everytime Jandiroba has fought against someone without elite grappling, she rolls pretty easily. Esparza, Dern, and Ribas all have elite grappling and that nullified her own grappling. Hill falls into that "not elite grappling" category. I just can't see Hill effectively defending the grappling for 15 minutes. Jandiroba has taken down better grapplers, so this is gonna be tough for Hill. Should roll here. If Hill keeps it on the feet, she probably lights her up, but Hill has been taken down by Waterson, who's an Atomweight and Yoder(lol). She also got submitted by Markos which is a huge red flag. Jandiroba submits her pretty easily honestly. I played Jandiroba straight and Sub

Johnson vs Patrick:
Johnson would beat Charles Oliveira for the belt then lose it to Dave from the third row. P4P most inconsistent fighter. This guy is 3-9 in his last 12, which is brutal. And he has wins over legit competition like Ferguson and Barboza. And that Poirier knockout was some hood high school parkinglot shit. Like eyes rolled back, it was bad. Can't believe I'm gonna say this, but I don't see a reason why he shouldn't fuck Patrick up. Patrick is 39 years old, doesn't push a pace, and is a big quitter. Johnson isn't that bad of a grappler, he just struggles against chain wrestlers. Patrick is not that guy. Dude has no striking and gasses bad. Patrick ain't the BJJ ace Moises is and the cardio machine Guida is. If Michael Johnson pulls a Michael Johnson, then I guess I look stupid, but I think this is a great fight for him. I bet him here

Lee vs Araujo: I see a lot of people on Lee, but I actually like Araujo here. I honestly think she's the better fighter. Faster, more powerful, better grappling. Her main problem is that her gas tank isn't the best, so she fades in the third. Lee has good volume and a good chin that could win her the fight, but I like Araujo to win here. It will be rough because Lee does push a pace. If I was to describe Lee's style, it'd be "Cardio kickboxer." If Araujo pursues the grappling, she'll win a lot easier, but who knows. Fights goes to split decisions is a good bet. I bet Araujo by Decision here.

Hadley vs Nascimento: This is a very tough fight to call. Nascimento is a lot better than people give him credit for. Lost really close decisions to Paiva and Ulanbekov. I mean his strength of schedule has been pretty crazy. He boutta fight Moreno after this fight or something, like give the guy a break. I think this fight will take places in all areas of the game, and while Nascimento is too comfortable off his back, this will be a coin flip fight and Nascimento being the much more experienced fighter can make all the difference. I think the line is a little wide, so I gotta do with Nascimento. Has fought the much better competition as well and looked good doing it, despite not always winning. I took a shot at him.

Manuel Torres vs Camacho: I know he's pretty washed, but Camacho is still a legit grappler man and he can probably submit this guy no doubt. Torres is kind of stupid and has beaten no one but uber drivers. If Camacho grapples, this is gonna be a beat down. Camacho hasn't been grappling lately so who knows and obviously Camacho can't take a punch and could get bonked, but yeah, it really depends on how smart Camacho plays it. Camacho by Sub is a wide line. Camacho has also fought at 170, and their levels of competition are night and day. Camacho was fighting Dariush and Geoff Neal while Torres has been fighting Carlos from the food truck across the street. Camacho is very hittable tho so yeah he probably gets killed lol. I'm going with Camacho R2 Sub. Watch Torres KO him then gets someone crazy like Terrance Mckinney.

Chookagian vs Ribas: This has the potential to be a Chookagian field day. Chookagian has the weirdest ability to edge out decisions. She's like the WMMA Arlovski. I hate watching her fight. Always edging the fight with 50 air punches. It was honestly a crime that she couldn't submit Walmart Shevchenko. Isn't she a brown belt under John Danaher? And she couldn't finish a RNC on this bum on the mat. Cmon man. She should win this pretty easily. Will keep this on the feet and 30-27 her. People think Chookagian might knock her out because Ribas is chinny....but you gotta hit your opponent to knock them out. Get ready for "Hut hut hut!" While she jabs the air for a Decision. Biggest factor is gonna be the big size advantage. Like if Ribas was the same size, I'd honestly pick her to win, but yeah I see Chookagian using her size to keep it on the feet. Rooting for Ribas hard tho

Grant vs Smolka: Smolka gets chinned here. Maybe a few years ago, when Smolka had durability, he would've probably won this fight, but can't trust his chin. Though Smolka gets chinned, let's not act like Grant deserves to be -300 here. Dude has a couple wars and lands a couple KO shots and now he's Mike Tyson? Cmon this is wide. If Smolka doesn't get KOed, this fight becomes very interesting. Again, Grant probably finishes but be very careful. Grant went to a split decision with Popov who's a complete bum not too long ago lmao.
Spann vs Cutelaba: I think this is a really good fight for Cutelaba. Besides a random knockout, how does Spann win this? Cutelaba is also much more durable, while Spann's chin is styrofoam. Cutelaba needs one shot and I think it'll be enough. His gas tank and size disadvantage is a concern but besides that, Cutelaba is gonna kill him. Spann reacts to punches really weird and if he covers up like he usually does, Cutelaba is gonna murder him against the fence. Cutelaba by KO

Rakic vs Blachowicz
: Jan always a live dog and he is...once again...an underdog. Jan looked pretty bad in his last fight and he's getting up their in age. Rakic not finishing Anthony Smith was a tragedy. Smith was on his deathbed and Rakic decided to lay on him. Rakic is such a gifted athlete, but man does he waste a lot of his gift. Rakic probably edges a decision honestly. Rakic can find grappling success early, but Jan is a legit grappler. This is gonna be a tough pick, but I'm going with Rakic. Blachowicz always a live dog of course and the odds may be a bit wide, but I still think Rakic wins. Jan not a bad dog here tho.

Very decent writeup overall, though where's this idea coming from that Camacho is some elite grappler?

I ended up playing Taira -165 -3.5 pt spread for action. In part because I had a dream that he won via knee to the body KO.
Lol follow your dreams

I have candelario Dec +350 and ml +205. If I was a disciplined bettor I would pass but I do this more for fun

Very decent writeup overall, though where's this idea coming from that Camacho is some elite grappler?

He has legit bjj chops. He just doesn’t show it in the ufc

think he won a few bjj tournaments. Can’t remember. I did some research on him a while back when I kind of liked him when he first came into the ufc

now I wouldn’t touch him

Candelario up to +260 now

bunch of followers in the betting world.

no way guys are taping this and actually pounding taira at these numbers

it’s a -ev play even if taira smokes him

Candelario up to +260 now

bunch of followers in the betting world.

no way guys are taping this and actually pounding taira at these numbers

it’s a -ev play even if taira smokes him
taira line getting pounded cause candelario looked like he was on deaths door today. might genuinely still have remnants of being sick from 2 weeks ago.

Jandiroba is good at getting her opponents to the ground. Her takedowns may not be pretty but they are certainly effective early in fights. It's not a sure thing but theres a very real possibility Jandiroba takes Hill down early in the first round, takes her back in a scramble, and locks in a RNC.

Angela has never fought someone with the BJJ of Jandiroba and has largely avoided opponents who pose a submission threat. Jandiroba has subbed every opponent in the UFC she has fought that was not a high-level BJJ player or wrestler; neither of which Hill is.

Hill's gotten a lot better at not getting taken down over the years.

And no, Hill has not avoided opponents who posed a sub threat. Not sure where you're getting that from when she's fought Claudia (7 subs), Waterson (9 subs), Moroz (6 subs), and Souza (8 subs).

taira line getting pounded cause candelario looked like he was on deaths door today. might genuinely still have remnants of being sick from 2 weeks ago.

What was the nature of his sickness 2 weeks ago? I'm not a fighter, but I've tracked training for years with strength training and cardio. I'd say I'm typically not performing at my peak and sometimes no where near it 2 weeks after being sick.

What was the nature of his sickness 2 weeks ago? I'm not a fighter, but I've tracked training for years with strength training and cardio. I'd say I'm typically not performing at my peak and sometimes no where near it 2 weeks after being sick.
it's unknown, but he cut weight and sick 2 weeks ago now cutting weight again and still looks sick. Imo if he cancelled fight again he may have been released from ufc so he said fuck it and gonna do his best. I'm rarely a narrative guy but that's my opinion.

it's unknown, but he cut weight and sick 2 weeks ago now cutting weight again and still looks sick. Imo if he cancelled fight again he may have been released from ufc so he said fuck it and gonna do his best. I'm rarely a narrative guy but that's my opinion.

True, factor in the cutting weight and it makes it worse. His training has probably been shit which affects confidence as well. I'm with you - I am not a narrative guy either and stylistic matchup matters the most. This is a time though that I think it is very likely to be a factor.

True, factor in the cutting weight and it makes it worse. His training has probably been shit which affects confidence as well. I'm with you - I am not a narrative guy either and stylistic matchup matters the most. This is a time though that I think it is very likely to be a factor.
I didn’t even factor in him cutting weight again.

I’ll have to figure out how to get out of most of my bet for this one. With the line movement it’s going to be tricky

Back