UFC 293, September 9, Adesanya vs. Strickland, Australia

I mean, that's ridiculous obviously in a high variance sport where one weird strike can change things. And it's not like Strickland has zero grappling.

That said...no doubt this is a tailor made matchup for Izzy. The lopsided odds are justified, it would take something a bit crazy for him to lose imo.

Yeah thanks, it is not an EASY fight, there's no EASY fights, but definitely the EASIEST fight of Izzy's career.

Pretty ridiculous to say that Strickland has 0,01% chance, of course he has a lot higher chance than that. Even if you believe Izzy to be the far superior fighter. Izzy could break his hand in the fight, he could snap a leg on a checked leg kick. Perhaps he gets stomach sick, but still chose to fight and gasses hard in the 2nd round. Perhaps we have misread the situation and Stricklands wrestling is better than expected and he gets takedowns in all rounds.

Odds suggest 87% likelihood that Izzy wins, I personally think those odds are pretty justified... but don't throw out stupid numbers. This is MMA and lots of things can happen.

Well, I don't think you want to, nor dare to bet on a fighter getting a freak injury or stomach sick... come on, we're talking FIGHTING right now. Skills wise, experience wise.

I would favor Strickland if they were fighting in the smaller octagon at the UFC apex. Adesanya doesn’t throw enough volume to separate himself and cleanly win rounds in close quarters. That’s one of the reasons, among others, that he lost two of the first three rounds on every judges scorecard to Jan Blachowicz and those were striking only rounds.

Adesanya has very good footwork so when he is fighting in the bigger octagon, with space to work, his opponents struggle to land. They cannot confine him to one area and because of this are left following him as he picks at them from a distance. If Strickland had previously demonstrated the footwork necessary to cut off the bigger cage, which he definitely has not, this would be a close fight.

If Strickland could compromise Adesanya’s movement early with leg kicks, which Poatan appeared close to achieving in their last fight, it would force Adesanya to fight at Strickland’s preferred range. Strickland doesn’t normally utilize leg kicks so this is wishful thinking but there are definitely ways Sean could hypothetically make it a close fight.

I expect Adesanya to win, likely by decision, but playing him at -650 is a bad beat waiting to happen.

You could go with a Adesanya TKO finish as well, Strickland is getting outmatched, the only reason he's fighting for a title is because South African boy got injured lol...

I remember when Izzy was fighting Cannonier, it was gonna be the fight where Izzy can finally shine and get his Anderson Silva like highlight KO. This fight reminds me of that.

he has a bunch of round 3 finishes and comes on late
Nasrat? He only has 1 third round finish, 2 in the second round and 6 in the first, against poor competition though.

He does tend to play with his foot a lot, and coast however.

Some MMA sites are suggesting to bet on Volkov because his height & reach would be very troublesome for Tuivasa. The suggestion didn't make sense.
I thought Tuivasa had a blitz style of fighting which allowed him to get on the inside and smash fighters.
He rocked Gane several times when they fought.

Which one are you betting on?

I think Tai has some value. He'll fight for your money as long as he isn't on his back, his chin is pretty good, he feints/leg kicks, has power. Other than height, is Volkov actually better? Kicks to the body will be a factor I think but Tai can find the chin for sure.

Well, I don't think you want to, nor dare to bet on a fighter getting a freak injury or stomach sick... come on, we're talking FIGHTING right now. Skills wise, experience wise.

I'm just saying, don't throw these ridiculous percentages out. 0,01% is Strickland winning 1 in 10 000 fights vs Izzy, which is obviously absurd.
Also, there are plenty of fights that ends in freak accidents. Blaydes vs Aspinal with the knee, you have plenty of broken leks from checked leg kicks, you have punches that doesn't poke the eye but scratches the eye (meaning they are legal), you have knee injuries like Kattar vs Allan and Rakic vs ...someone.
When you are betting favourites in the 87% implied probability range, then you don't have many percentages of value to even start with, so even the slight risk of injury will take away from that.

You are probably safe betting the house on Izzy, but if Izzy breaks his hand in the 1st round and loses a decision you will be a very sad man.

Shane Young fat on the scale. Want to go Miranda BUT
1.Miranda a grade c level can crusher.
2.Got tkoed by Vagner Rocca 7 years sgo
3.Has pretty much lost to every decent opponent.
Is fat Shane Young too much? We about to find out.

Izzy ML seems like a no-brainer, but at those odds I don't think the risk (however small) is worth the abysmal reward.
I put a couple units down on Izzy by Stoppage. Assuming they both fight the way they do historically, then I think it will be a long night of wading into damage for Sean.
When Izzy fights a stationary target then he can really tee off on the dmg. I know Sean is pretty defensively sound, but I think it's just a matter of time before Izzy chops him to pieces.
I think working the legs and body, and then ending with something up top (head hick or left hook) will probably be what gets the job done.

I think Volkov is the rightful fav, but at those odds I think a sprinkle on Tai is not a bad idea either.

Yeah thanks, it is not an EASY fight, there's no EASY fights, but definitely the EASIEST fight of Izzy's career.

You could go with a Adesanya TKO finish as well, Strickland is getting outmatched, the only reason he's fighting for a title is because South African boy got injured lol...

Lol at Strickland being an easier matchup than blown up Lightweight past his prime Melvin Guillard. Just stop dude.

Charlie Radtke, I didn't really know who this guy was before this fight got announced so I just watched everything I could find. Striking is not the best to be honest, he does get hit quite a lot and he is pretty basic in his approach. It's not horrible but could be better. He does have power though. However, he is slick on the ground. He is a legit grappler, the skill gap between Blood Diamond and Radtke on the ground will be absolutely massive.

I just watched Radtke for the first time and his 7-3 record is very deceiving because he does not have many weak areas. His striking is serviceable, not great but not bad either, though he does have significant punching power. He has knocked two of his last four opponents out totally cold with a short left hook.

Blood Diamond based on the defensive grappling he demonstrated against Orion Cosce does not stand any chance against Radtke in grappling exchanges.

I am surprised the odds are not wider since its not like BD has displayed crippling knockout power which Radtke certainly does have. Radtke definitely looks safe to parlay.

I dont see Sean path. Izzy kicking and distance control are gonna be too much. Punching bad and probably will be finished. Doesnt wrestle much.

But -700 on Izzy is insane. When has he ever covered -700? Against Costa? That's about it. Look through his career hes had competitive and some really close fights most the time. Down in some, arguably lost 2 (Yoel, Rob 2).

Fighters like Fedor, Georges, Mighty Mouse, Khabib, Jon, Volk etc cover these wide ass lines. Not Izzy.hes great but he's not that. Gotta sprinkle some on Sean.

I dont see Sean path. Izzy kicking and distance control are gonna be too much. Punching bad and probably will be finished. Doesnt wrestle much.

But -700 on Izzy is insane. When has he ever covered -700? Against Costa? That's about it. Look through his career hes had competitive and some really close fights most the time. Down in some, arguably lost 2 (Yoel, Rob 2).

Fighters like Fedor, Georges, Mighty Mouse, Khabib, Jon, Volk etc cover these wide ass lines. Not Izzy.hes great but he's not that. Gotta sprinkle some on Sean.
Tavares, Brunson, Whittaker 1 and the Costa fight are his best performances where I'd argue he looked the part of a -600 and below favorite. Other than that, it's like you said - Israel is more than fine with playing with thin margins, don't think that will be an issue against Sean, but you never know.

As it stands I'm fine with passing on the fight.

Nasrat? He only has 1 third round finish, 2 in the second round and 6 in the first, against poor competition though.

He does tend to play with his foot a lot, and coast however.
Quinones

I think if you want to play Strickland you take him by decision. You can get that @+1400 which is actually pretty insane.
Don't think it hit, but feels like it could be value there.

I think if you want to play Strickland you take him by decision. You can get that @+1400 which is actually pretty insane.

I have a sprinkle on 4, 5 or dec +900 on Fanduel

My problem is I bet always on nz/ aus fighters to win..... never against them

Aus cards can be expensive lol

+1400 haha, brother, how about lottery instead?

Back