UFC 211 early numbers ...

450k would have been what the ufc wanted
Wouldn't be surprised if it did under 300k

We'll be told it did higher than 380

It was a great night of fights, but WME-IMG's business model is premised on drawing in more casuals. A lot more casuals.

WME model has nothing to do with the current PPV buys. 250k buys is/was the average for any card that doesn't include Bones, Ronda, Conor, GSP, Brock. The reason those do higher is because those fighters do bring in the casuals. So I don't understand what you're saying.

PPV is such a dying model

I believe this is why WWE went and did their own network. I hope UFC will do the same. There is way too many PPV for the average fan with average income to buy.

I believe this is why WWE went and did their own network. I hope UFC will do the same. There is way too many PPV for the average fan with average income to buy.

It was a large part, but WWE had to go their first due to declining PPV.
Mania still did great worldwide & some others did better, but they were beginning to do mostly 100-200k
Vince big mistake was including Mania on the network.
The original plan was to not include Mania but have tons of Mania exclusives that month.
But a few weeks prior to launch announcement, Vince panicked & included it.
Mania only does a paid bump of a few million OTT.
With PPV they did $25m

I think MWE care more about the other numbers than the PPV. They don't want to depend on PPV. They want to make major long term TV deals.

Of course they care, but the focus is restructuring the way content is distributed beginning in 2019.

The numbers are good because the heavyweight belt was the only real draw on this, weird how UFC has failed to create lately back in the day they had a bunch of guys that would add 200k buys on their own.

I don't think there is any way to look at this but bad.
Unless the unreported numbers severely surprise, 300k for that card is bad.
The sky is not falling, but it under-performed for sure

I watched it at a bar for the first time ever. Not sure if I will ever go back to buying it now....yea yea I know Stream blah blah

It has nothing to do with "i only buy the good cards" for me. I'd rather watch at the bar. They have better TVs than myself the beer is 3 dollars for a 16 ounce Coors Light and it gets me out of the house.

You could make a ppv with 5 title fights and i'm still going to watch it at the bar.
20170513_215114-1-1.jpg

The only cards I buy are Askren fights on One and most likely the upcoming Bellator PPV because I don't have an option of watching them at the bar (maybe I will get lucky and they will show Bellator)

And once McGregor gets embarrassed by mayweather the UFC will be totally destroyed. Fucks sake.
You realize 300k on average is still very good right? Boxing can't hit that unless it is Floyd or Canelo.

I am sure the UFC is fine hitting 300k. Means they made 9 milli on just PPV, plus an extra 2.5 at the gate.

I don't think there is any way to look at this but bad.
Unless the unreported numbers severely surprise, 300k for that card is bad.
The sky is not falling, but it under-performed for sure

300k for 2 titles plus a stacked card is pretty awful imo. They made money, but still, thats very underwhelming and alarming that people just don't care about solid cards. Their ppvs need stars. In the internet age people can just stream the fights, which is why I feel its imperative that WME puts more cards on the networks they have tv deals with. Stack the hell out of the fox cards and only have several ppvs per year and always make sure the ppvs are actually worth $60 for the fans (mainly the casuals by stacking them and having stars on them).

Can you imagine a ufc event around 2010 doing 300k buys with a stacked card and 2 title fights? Hell look at ufc 108: EVANS VS SILVA. It was a HORRIBLE card on paper with no draw and it basically did just as good as ufc 211 (a stacked card with 2 TITLE FIGHTS). Thats sad.

WME needs to cut back on ppvs and just save them for pretty much having stars on them, and put the really solid cards on fox.

300k for 2 titles plus a stacked card is pretty awful imo. They made money, but still, thats very underwhelming and alarming that people just don't care about solid cards. Their ppvs need stars. In the internet age people can just stream the fights, which is why I feel its imperative that WME puts more cards on the networks they have tv deals with. Stack the hell out of the fox cards and only have several ppvs per year and always make sure the ppvs are actually worth $60 for the fans (mainly the casuals by stacking them and having stars on them).

Can you imagine a ufc event around 2010 doing 300k buys with a stacked card and 2 title fights? Hell look at ufc 108: EVANS VS SILVA. It was a HORRIBLE card on paper with no draw and it basically did just as good as ufc 211 (a stacked card with 2 TITLE FIGHTS). Thats sad.

WME needs to cut back on ppvs and just save them for pretty much having stars on them, and put the really solid cards on fox.

As you know, I agree on all. That is why I tell people that UFC is in this weird place until 2019.

Ppv is dying, ufc is dying, everything is dying

Pretty expected. Don't know why some are so surprised. This was a much anticipated card for the hardcores, not the casuals. No one who has any huge amount of mainstream fame or proven drawing ability fought last Saturday.

I pray for the PPV model to die. We complain about champs ducking righteous contenders and haring after nonsensical fights, but look how the PPV model and its profit-sharing component encourages that.

@FrankieNYC
Probably wishful thinking, but what are the odds that Fightpass will eventually offer all content ( Ppv, fs1, fs2, fp prelims etc) for a bigger monthly fee, say 29.99 for example.. is that even an appealing option?

Had no problem buying this one

Had a lot of fun watching it over cold beers with the family

I won't be buying the garbage Aldo card tho

Hopefully the one after that is solid

@FrankieNYC
Probably wishful thinking, but what are the odds that Fightpass will eventually offer all content ( Ppv, fs1, fs2, fp prelims etc) for a bigger monthly fee, say 29.99 for example.. is that even an appealing option?

Hey man,
Never
UFC needs Free TV to make new fans to drive them to become paying customers.
Plus $30.00 a month seems like a bargain to hardcore, but a newer fan would really need to think about making that jump

Also some fast math (so it is approx)
If you go by 2015, UFC would need to do 120m monthly purchases or an average of 10m a month to make the difference up
WWE does 1.5m

Now there would be re-structuring, but even cut that to 2.5m & you see how that is very tough

Back