UFC 211 early numbers ...

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Meltzer's Newsletter

The show drew a sellout of 17,834 fans paying $2,662,645.

The prelims did 1,148,000 viewers on average, the best so far this year, and up 31 percent from the average coming into the fight for 2017. Last year, the only shows that beat that number were the five shows that topped 1 million buys. The peak, for Alvarez vs. Poirier, was 1,360,000 viewers.

The show was the highest rated show on cable in the Male 35-49 demo for the day and the second largest cable audience for a UFC event this year, trailing the 1,158,000 viewers for the Fight Night headlined by Chan Sung Jung vs. Dennis Bermudez.

The pre-fight show on FX did 522,000 viewers, the tenth most watched pre-fight show since the FOX deal was signed in 2011. The post-fight show did 329,000 viewers on FS 1. For a comparison, for UFC 210 (Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Rumble Johnson), those numbers were 723,000 for the prelims, 268,000 for the pre-fight show and 160,000 for the post-fight show.

Yet, early indications are that PPV numbers are almost identical. Based on preliminary numbers, the last three UFC shows (UFC 209 was headlined by Woodley vs. Stephen “Wonderboy” Thompson) all did in the neighborhood of 300,000 buys.

------

So while some indicators have it higher than that, the early cable/DTV numbers that Meltzer seen, put it in the 300k range
Since other numbers are up, I wouldn't be surprised if it winds up a bit higher (350k).

Now again, this is based off the numbers that came in (so far) & how they compared to recent numbers.

For those that don't know, different companies report numbers at different time for their own accounting purposes.
So the week of, you get x% of potential buys & he compares that to other PPV's in recent history.
When more numbers come in, it obviously can change.

@ThePeoplesMMA

Last edited:
such a good card. fuck the casuals.

Hopefully when the rest of the numbers come in, it will go up
Like I said several early indicators would have it higher, but early reports don't.

Edit: He said before tonight that the IPPV numbers were bigger than expected too. He has an overnight audio about 5am. If he discusses anything new or has a different take, I'll update

Outside of Mcgregor/Ronda/UFC 200, I would say those numbers aren't bad at all, maybe even better than the average ppv card recently,

such a good card. fuck the casuals.

It was a great night of fights, but WME-IMG's business model is premised on drawing in more casuals. A lot more casuals.

FrankieNYC is a cheerleader for WME, so I don't think his analysis is objective enough.

But just based on the fights, there was little to dislike about UFC 211, other than perhaps Maia/Masvidal wasn't exciting enough. But the rest of the card that night, and especially the prelims, more than made up for it.

It's sad that there is really no one who can break through 800k let alone 500 other than Conor and GSP.

209 did 300K wow. Thats impressive all things considered.

So basically Stipe only got his show money and bonus which adds to the total grand some of $690k.

Meanwhile in boxing non ppv fighters such as Keith Thurman, Danny Garcia, Andre Berto, Shawn Porter, Amir Khan etc etc all crack $1m at the very least per fight. Not a good look. In fact Danny and Keith both got $2m each in their last fight against eachother and that excludes sponsor money.

Outside of Mcgregor/Ronda/UFC 200, I would say those numbers aren't bad at all, maybe even better than the average ppv card recently,

I think with two title fights, under 350k is disappointing.
like I said, there is a chance the numbers improve ... I hope :)

It's sad that there is really no one who can break through 800k let alone 500 other than Conor and GSP.

PPV is such a dying model
Twenty-something that would chip in 10 years ago, are web savvy & used to everything free.
Colleges were huge for WWE in the late 90's & UFC 10 years ago & now everyone knows how to get the PPV free.

In 2019, bet we see a reduction in PPV's per year once WME can change things.
More on Fox & more on FP

I'm sure Jones-Cormier will do at least 500k. Their last fight was something like 700-800k.

I'm sure Jones-Cormier will do at least 500k. Their last fight was something like 700-800k.

I think it will do more than 500k.
That rivalry is intense & gets worse/better (depending on how you look at it)

Holy nitwit alert
I immediately voluntarily report that UFC 211 did less than expected numbers & I am a "cheerleader for WME"

You can't fake that level of stupid.
Thank god for ignore ;)

Last edited:
PPV is such a dying model
Twenty-something that would chip in 10 years ago, are web savvy & used to everything free.
Colleges were huge for WWE in the late 90's & UFC 10 years ago & now everyone knows how to get the PPV free.

In 2019, bet we see a reduction in PPV's per year once WME can change things.
More on Fox & more on FP
You say that, yet look at how well the UFC did in PPV numbers in 2016 and 2015. It has a lot to do with who is fighting and how well they are sold to the public.

Still, it's getting really hard to sell anyone besides a few select guys apparently.

You say that, yet look at how well the UFC did in PPV numbers in 2016 and 2015. It has a lot to do with who is fighting and how well they are sold to the public.

Still, it's getting really hard to sell anyone besides a few select guys apparently.

But that kind of backs up my point
Unless its a supercard with a superdraw, the average consumers does not even consider purchasing.
There is a reason why WWE moved away & UFC plans to cut down.

If this was 5 years ago, these 200-300 cards would have done double & the Conor cards near 2 million.

Back