UFC 209 - Twood vs Wonderboy II - Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you guys are underestimating Tony's willingness to go to the ground. Barboza took him down multiple times. We can say he will avoid the ground in this fight and it will be different, but I think a uber confident guy like Tony may not be afraid of it. He doesn't strike me as the type to concede that any opponent is better than him in any area.

Also I think anyone betting on the idea that Tony will have success from the bottom is being very optimistic. We've simply never seen anything remotely close to that vs Khabib.

Last thing, people here are speculating that Khabib will be less successful shooting takedowns due to Ferguson's length. Khabib doesn't just shoot double legs in open space. The majority of his take down game happens against the fence.

Lando is 1.3

Damn your decimal odds..!! But ok I figured out it was -335.

Anyways seems about what I expected. Teymur isn't a bad fighter but I'm not willing to bet against the beast that is Lando.

I sadly expect Mirsad to open up about the same or more.

Those clips of funk rolling don't show anything. They are cherry picked from a record breaking performance by khabib, also interesting the rolls accomplish nothing in any of the clips.

Empty funk rolling without control can be countered easily by just rotating around the roll, it's not rocket science. imo most likely result in those situations is khabib landing in side control.

Those clips of funk rolling don't show anything. They are cherry picked from a record breaking performance by khabib, also interesting the rolls accomplish nothing in any of the clips.

Empty funk rolling without control can be countered easily by just rotating around the roll, it's not rocket science. imo most likely result in those situations is khabib landing in side control.
No one asked you. Let us Ferg backers have something to hope for when he gets taken down, okay!

(totally joking obviously)

Last thing, people here are speculating that Khabib will be less successful shooting takedowns due to Ferguson's length. Khabib doesn't just shoot double legs in open space. The majority of his take down game happens against the fence.

Very true. But Ferg does not give up real estate. He fights with nonstop forward pressure most of the time. And he seems to have finally figured out how to better utilize his reach. He's not likely to give ground and put his back to the cage like RDA did. He will likely use his jab to apply pressure moving toward Khabib while also angling off so he's a less predictable target for a TD.

If Khabib is forced into long periods of trying to set up TD's he's probably in trouble. If he gets pieced up for 3-4 minutes standing and then finally gets a TD against the cage to end a round, he probably loses that rd in addition to taking a bunch of damage.

Abel nearly turned one into Khabib being on his back. Good scramble by Khabib to get back standing.

In none of those did Khabib even end up with top position, let alone side control. Not saying he CAN'T, but he didn't in any of those situations.

Anyways seems about what I expected. Teymur isn't a bad fighter but I'm not willing to bet against the beast that is Lando.

You really think Mirsad will be unplayable? Elkins is by far his most experienced opponent with 14 UFC fights and is the best wrestler Mirsad (whose offense mainly consists of top game) has fought yet. I'm hoping there won't be such a huge disparity...

?
Very true. But Ferg does not give up real estate. He fights with nonstop forward pressure most of the time. And he seems to have finally figured out how to better utilize his reach. He's not likely to give ground and put his back to the cage like RDA did. He will likely use his jab to apply pressure moving toward Khabib while also angling off so he's a less predictable target for a TD.

If Khabib is forced into long periods of trying to set up TD's he's probably in trouble. If he gets pieced up for 3-4 minutes standing and then finally gets a TD against the cage to end a round, he probably loses that rd in addition to taking a bunch of damage.

Isn't the easiest opponent to take down one with relentless forward pressure? If they are hell bent on coming forward and relentlessly applying pressure they are not concerned about being taken down (see the Barboza fight).

You really think Mirsad will be unplayable? Elkins is by far his most experienced opponent with 14 UFC fights and is the best wrestler Mirsad (whose offense mainly consists of top game) has fought yet. I'm hoping there won't be such a huge disparity...

It's been the trend of 2017 so I'm going to assume it'll continue.

I think you guys are underestimating Tony's willingness to go to the ground. Barboza took him down multiple times. We can say he will avoid the ground in this fight and it will be different, but I think a uber confident guy like Tony may not be afraid of it. He doesn't strike me as the type to concede that any opponent is better than him in any area.
In a recent interview he talks about how he's being coached more this camp and I take that as a sign that he'll be following a gameplan this time, i.e. he and his coaches know he doesn't want to grapple with Khabib.

It's been the trend of 2017 so I'm going to assume it'll continue.
Yeah, the Duffy line comes to mind lol

There will be other ways to play him though, I wasn't planning on hitting his ML anyway

Abel nearly turned one into Khabib being on his back. Good scramble by Khabib to get back standing.

In none of those did Khabib even end up with top position, let alone side control. Not saying he CAN'T, but he didn't in any of those situations.

My point is you are taking moments from the fight with literally the most tds ever, from where a scramble ended up in...neutral. How can this be evidence to truly support ferg?

Go watch ferg attempt an inverted roll vs a wrestler at 3 minutes of round 3 vs castillo. Doesn't end so well for him, spends the rest of the round on his back and almost gets subbed.

?

Isn't the easiest opponent to take down one with relentless forward pressure? If they are hell bent on coming forward and relentlessly applying pressure they are not concerned about being taken down (see the Barboza fight).

If they are reckless, yes.

Fergs reach and superior striking may counter it, or maybe not. My point was more that Khabib nay have to rely more on traditional doubles in space as opposed to chain wrestling against the cage.

In a recent interview he talks about how he's being coached more this camp and I take that as a sign that he'll be following a gameplan this time, i.e. he and his coaches know he doesn't want to grapple with Khabib.

He's being coached by Eddie "pull guard" Bravo

My point is you are taking moments from the fight with literally the most tds ever, from where a scramble ended up in...neutral. How can this be evidence to truly support ferg?

Go watch ferg attempt an inverted roll vs a wrestler at 3 minutes of round 3 vs castillo. Doesn't end so well for him, spends the rest of the round on his back and almost gets subbed.

I don't think he was in any real danger of being subbed but yeah that was an ill-timed roll.

My point is that if it ends up "neutral" where they are facing each other standing again and Khabib doesn't complete the TD, that's a win for Ferg in that spot.

Other than those gifs did Abel even try any other funk rolls? I honestly don't remember. He got taken down at will trying to defend by sprawling, but maybe he actually should have tried rolling more LOL.

and I hate your moneyline odds..

decimal odds are so easy to figure out.. wtf lol. Odds 1.3. If you place 10 dollars you get 13 back. (10 dollars you placed in +3 dollars profit)

and I hate your moneyline odds..

decimal odds are so easy to figure out.. wtf lol. Odds 1.3. If you place 10 dollars you get 13 back. (10 dollars you placed in +3 dollars profit)
Wait, are you a brit OB? Since when?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back