UFC 198 - Curitiba - Werdum vs Miocic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legit lol'd when they are hyping Stipe's jiu jitsu while hes rolling with some fat, bald 50 year old man

Also lol'd at how concerned Asian dude looks when Leslie Smith is telling the story of how she got the Cyborg fight

bahhhh you guys all betting werdum making that line halt its plummeting, alright... i'll take some -145

bahhhh you guys all betting werdum making that line halt its plummeting, alright... i'll take some -145

I came here looking for this! wtf is going on with this line? -225 was a fair price, -145 is a bargain!.

I don't see how Miocic wins this..

While I was watching the latest episode of The Fighter and the Kid, Brendan Schaub brought up that USADA (company that does the UFC drug testing) is what they use in the U.S., hence the "US" ADA (United Stated Anti Doping Agency). This UFC card is in Brazil, and Bryan Callen mentioned something along the lines of: "So all a fighter has to do is stay in Brazil for an extended period of time after their fight so they can clean their system and not fail a drug test?"

In other words, if this assumption is correct, a fighter who wanted to use steroids at UFC 198 could do so, and then just stay in Brazil on vacation for a couple months to avoid USADA's testing. Granted, the UFC does their own testing in Brazil and other places abroad, but it's not as good as USADA and WADA.

UFC 198 is the biggest and best UFC card to ever go to Brazil, so finding out that someone is using some type of PED to ensure a win wouldn't surprise me, especially for older fighters.

While I was watching the latest episode of The Fighter and the Kid, Brendan Schaub brought up that USADA (company that does the UFC drug testing) is what they use in the U.S., hence the "US" ADA (United Stated Anti Doping Agency). This UFC card is in Brazil, and Bryan Callen mentioned something along the lines of: "So all a fighter has to do is stay in Brazil for an extended period of time after their fight so they can clean their system and not fail a drug test?"

In other words, if this assumption is correct, a fighter who wanted to use steroids at UFC 198 could do so, and then just stay in Brazil on vacation for a couple months to avoid USADA's testing. Granted, the UFC does their own testing in Brazil and other places abroad, but it's not as good as USADA and WADA.

UFC 198 is the biggest and best UFC card to ever go to Brazil, so finding out that someone is using some type of PED to ensure a win wouldn't surprise me, especially for older fighters.
Don't UFC fighters have to agree to list their schedule and locations on an app and submit to random USADA testing even in whatever foreign countries they live and train in including Brazil? I recall reading numerous reports and seeing a lot of Instagram and Twitter images of fighters giving blood and urine at 7 am and such all over the globe. So no, I don't think they can hide in Brazil. USADA send people after them and if they hide or refuse they can get suspended by the UFC just for not being available for the tests.

Last edited:
Everything i have heard and read re the new USADA is as Jim described. They will test you as a UFC fighter ...they dont care where u live/holiday.

Just FYI Schaub isnt the best at getting details right...he just get really excited.

Yeah I only listened to the fighter and the kid once, and it was just a small portion with Joe Schilling. I like Ariel's podcast a lot better from what I heard.

I think right now you could bet on every dog across the board profitably (probably the worse value would be Smith amazingly enough). I just can't come up with a reason to bet ANY favorite at the current odds.

I think right now you could bet on every dog across the board profitably (probably the worse value would be Smith amazingly enough). I just can't come up with a reason to bet ANY favorite at the current odds.

I see value in Corey Andersson, I just think Shogun is way to shot to contest with him. I got him ML at 1.44 and KO/TKO at 5.5. I also think Vitor in R1 for 8.0 is worth a shot. He still has at least on good flurry in him.

Parlay city!

The past couple of days I have really been considering Miocic, but with Werdum at -145 I can't pass that up

6 fight win streak momentum, in Brazil, more experience with bigger fights, more ways to win..
I believe the biggest factor in this fight will be Werdum's heavy kicks that he has been blasting his opponents with. Miocic also does not check leg kicks which I believe will ultimately lead to the slowing of his movement and speed. On top of that, Miocic's shot selection will be lessened since he will not be able to mix in his takedown attempts to keep Werdum guessing.

I understand this is stylistically a bad matchup for Werdum, but the kicks that he possesses will be the difference imo

I watched 1 fight so far as far as research goes. Here's some notes from the Carniero/Niinimaki fight.

Renato Carneiro

Bio

5'11, is tall for FW
-Trains in Brazil at Constrictor Team, with Rani Yahya, Francisco Trinaldo, and a few other undefeated guys. Seems like a solid camp. Not sure how good his wrestling will become.
-Did not have an easy path to the UFC apparently, most or all regional opponents were winning records.
-UFC debut against Niinimaki, won by submission. Niinimaki has been submitted 5x in his career, and was submitted by choke in his last 3 fights (Skelly, Backstrom, Caneiro).

Physical
-Probably not a ton of strength. More of a speed/cardio fighter.
-Cardio seemed fine in round 2.

Striking
-Very good kicks. High, low, mid kicks. Attempted a spinning kick.
-Very good hand speed.
-Seems to utilize a reach advantage well vs Niinimaki.
-Good technical offense.
-Has eaten some leg kicks. Has checked some.
-Good at using reach and distance.
-Stays on the offensive, controls the center of the cage.
-Good at avoiding strikes, but does seem susceptible to punches at times.
-Catches kicks.
-Good counter striker.
-Good killer instinct.
-Not a ton of punching power, but kicks hard.
-Didn't see clinch work

Grappling
-Started training in elementary school in Judo. Then progressed into BJJ.
-Ground seems to be strength, but striking is solid.
-Wasted no time jumping on a hurt opponent.
-Immediately passed, then during a scramble took the back and good body triangle. Solid RNC vs a decent grappler who was hurt.
-Has a judo background, didn't get to see it.
-Didn't see much wrestling or any GnP in the fight.

Last edited:
John Lineker vs. Rob Font
Correct me if im wrong, but it looks like a couple of people are leaning Rob Font. I think there is great value in Font, but I still gonna end up betting under or Lineker. Here's why:

The first obvious reason is the "hometown advantage". This crowd will go crazy every time one of their fighters are connecting and as we have seen before in Brazil the judges will be affected by this. This could certainly also be a FOTN potential. Lineker has met and beat better competition than Rob Font. Yes, Font is the CES champ, but he'll still haven't fought the same UFC kaliber competition as Lineker. Font has to stay on the outside without getting lurked in to a brawlfest by Lineker. I would compare this fight to Lineker vs. Mccall movement wise. Mccall was on his bicycle pretty much all the time and he is faster than Font. Still he got caught plenty of times in the pocket because of Linekers pace. Lineker has evolved his ground game and has a mean guillotine as well. His TDD is also pretty decent. Font should have the size advantage but I really don't know how Font is winning this fight. He'll have to stick and move, but I don't think he will be able to do that for three rounds. Lineker only need to connect one of those haymakers and he has 15 minutes to do that. When you really think about Lineker has just been more impressive.

I find great value in the under this fight. Both fighters are looking to KO each other early and both are able to do that. Font has to watch out, even if he connects on Lineker, Lineker is still very dangerous. Besides that Lineker has that "Kill or Die" attitude as we saw against Rivera. (pretty much every fight)

2u Under 1.5 @ +110
3u
Lineker ML -220
Parlay fodder: Fight won’t go 3 round distance @ -260

Sorry for the bad english - English is not my primary language :)

John Lineker vs. Rob Font
Correct me if im wrong, but it looks like a couple of people are leaning Rob Font. I think there is great value in Font, but I still gonna end up betting under or Lineker. Here's why:

The first obvious reason is the "hometown advantage". This crowd will go crazy every time one of their fighters are connecting and as we have seen before in Brazil the judges will be affected by this. This could certainly also be a FOTN potential. Lineker has met and beat better competition than Rob Font. Yes, Font is the CES champ, but he'll still haven't fought the same UFC kaliber competition as Lineker. Font has to stay on the outside without getting lurked in to a brawlfest by Lineker. I would compare this fight to Lineker vs. Mccall movement wise. Mccall was on his bicycle pretty much all the time and he is faster than Font. Still he got caught plenty of times in the pocket because of Linekers pace. Lineker has evolved his ground game and has a mean guillotine as well. His TDD is also pretty decent. Font should have the size advantage but I really don't know how Font is winning this fight. He'll have to stick and move, but I don't think he will be able to do that for three rounds. Lineker only need to connect one of those haymakers and he has 15 minutes to do that. When you really think about Lineker has just been more impressive.

I find great value in the under this fight. Both fighters are looking to KO each other early and both are able to do that. Font has to watch out, even if he connects on Lineker, Lineker is still very dangerous. Besides that Lineker has that "Kill or Die" attitude as we saw against Rivera. (pretty much every fight)

2u Under 1.5 @ +110
3u
Lineker ML -220
Parlay fodder: Fight won’t go 3 round distance @ -260

Sorry for the bad english - English is not my primary language :)
The over 1.5 is 2.10/+110 at my book...

no no NOOOOO

just read Silva is out.. meaning my Hall +275 (hwo i favored) is going to waste......

200.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back