Tyron Woodley on track to potentially become the WW GOAT

Basically drawing with Wonderboy twice is not really "on track".

Fitch and BJ were far more entertaining and more dominant victories for GSP.

At this point in their runs:
GSP 2
TWOOD 0

In all fairness, he finished 2nd GOAT WW Hughes twice, made former two division champ BJ Penn quit on the stool because he was getting smashed senseless, and completely wrecked Serra in the rematch. How are you even going to call GSP a "lay and pray" fighter when as the champ he controlled the octagon, he controlled the match and he took the fight to his opponent? Until pre-USADA Hendricks, no one could shut GSP down, even though they knew what he was going to do. It's not GSP's fault he was excellent at sticking to a gameplan and winning decisively. I'm not even sure you know what top control is. How many times did GSP just lay in full/half guard doing nothing?

Woodley complained and held out like a bitch until he got an undeserved title shot, cries racism to deflect and acknowledge the fact he's simply unlikeable as a result of his own conduct, and isn't a draw. He'll never be WW GOAT. Ever.
Ok. Well I am quite aware of what top control is lol, as I have been watching the sport since the cage was invented along with having grappled with Dennis Bermudez often before he moved from Saugerties NY to his current camp. I am very well aware at what I am watching. You have an opinion of what you like a fight to be. I prefer a fight to be a stand up war. I find Demian Maia for example to be beautiful on the ground and he finishes fights. GSP rarely attempted anything aside from Dan Hardy where he did attempt many submissions. GSP got to much into a habit of playing it safe. The guys he did beat I would expect a GOAT to finish like Anderson Silva and Jon Jones have no issues with doing. You have a dif opinion and I respect it. You like what you like I like what I like.

GSP decisions leave no question of who won more often than not. And woodly's last 2 fights are very close decisions.

Gsp has more wins, fewer losses, way more title defenses, and has gotten back each loss
Ok so you dont agree Woodley is on track to being a great Welterweight. Thats fine you have a right to your opinion. Many fighters would likely have won fights they lost if they chose to play it safe like GSP did in many fights. You cant deny he played it safe to get the win many times. He hated being hit and rarely attempted a submission on anybody. Again, you see what you want in a fight and I see what I see, I prefer guys who try to finish and take risks as opposed to those who do not.

Never was behind the guy until he knocked out Koscheck, it's apparent that this guy is a different fighter & I see him continuing his path of destruction in the welterweight division for years to come. No doubt Maia has some of the best pure Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in MMA & the best in the UFC's welterweight division however I believe that Woodley will be too much for Maia in the striking department but the way things have been the past 2 years with champions being dethroned by contenders it would not suprised me. A fight with Woodley & GSP would be fantastic & really test not just Woodley but Georges skills as well.

I am not a fan of Tyron Woodley but I do recognize his talent. Explosive, strong, amazing wrestling pedigree with knock out power, and believes in himself.
He is 17-3, been champ in previous organizations before finishing Robbie Lawler quickly to become UFC champion. He has his blemishes against a few who caught him. GSP has his blemishes as well. Tyron does have a ways to go before reaching the GOAT conversation but he definitely has what it takes to get there. He defeated Thompson twice and Wonder boy had the best style to get the job done but he couldn't seem to pull the trigger.

Woodley is young with many years left to go. If he defeats Demian Maia who has been dominating almost everyone up to this point, then goes on to face GSP and beats him then he will be in the GOAT discussion. My opinion... I feel he knocks George out early if they fight. I dont like fighters being on such long lay offs returning to fight a champion. In the past it rarely works out. Jones fighting DC is the exception as Jones is a freak talent but we still have yet to see the result so who knows.

GSP left the company damaged, coming off of a brutal fight I feel he lost to Hendricks. Even those who disagree with me on the result have to agree it was still a poor performance.

How do you think Tyron Woodley matches up with the past Welterweight greats?
GSP has the goat resume. Dude beat top contenders at the top of their game. Shields, Diaz, Fitch, Alves, Hughes, and the list goes on. Woodley has a long ways to go.

He has a looonnng way to go before even touching GSP and Hughes, even if he beats GSP and Maia. If he beats GSP and Maia, I might have him at number three.

I am not a fan of Tyron Woodley but I do recognize his talent. Explosive, strong, amazing wrestling pedigree with knock out power, and believes in himself.
He is 17-3, been champ in previous organizations before finishing Robbie Lawler quickly to become UFC champion. He has his blemishes against a few who caught him. GSP has his blemishes as well. Tyron does have a ways to go before reaching the GOAT conversation but he definitely has what it takes to get there. He defeated Thompson twice and Wonder boy had the best style to get the job done but he couldn't seem to pull the trigger.

Woodley is young with many years left to go. If he defeats Demian Maia who has been dominating almost everyone up to this point, then goes on to face GSP and beats him then he will be in the GOAT discussion. My opinion... I feel he knocks George out early if they fight. I dont like fighters being on such long lay offs returning to fight a champion. In the past it rarely works out. Jones fighting DC is the exception as Jones is a freak talent but we still have yet to see the result so who knows.

GSP left the company damaged, coming off of a brutal fight I feel he lost to Hendricks. Even those who disagree with me on the result have to agree it was still a poor performance.

I disagree with you.
IMHO Hughes is way ahead of him, and GSP is ahead of Hughes.

While on Paper TW is good as you wrote, he is even worse than GSP.
These two fights (if you can call them that) against Thompson shows he is more afraid to lose than he is to show he is the best.
If he gets that gun-shy against Maia, he will sleep.

But moreover, a win over GSP now a days means nothing.
GSP is a retired fighter who attempted to come back because he saw an easy opportunity in Bisping.
So if TW beats him, I'd just scratch this as GSP should not have come back.

On sherdog..EVERYONE is.

Back