Tyron Woodley on track to potentially become the WW GOAT

GSP was #1 in the world at 26, and never dropped below #2 for the next 6 years, 5 of those at #1.
Tyron hit #1 in the world at 34, and has been there for 1 year.

GSP @ 32 retired on a 12 fight win streak.
Tyron @ 34 is on a 1 fight win streak.

How is he on track? He would need to go unbeaten until he's 40 just to match GSP career.
GSP has how many decisions? Most which didnt impress me at all. Woodley has finished majority of his fights and came close to the ones he didnt. Many aspects make someone great. Laying on dudes for 5 rounds in my opinion isnt a fighter I want to claim as the greatest fighter.

I am not a fan of Tyron Woodley but I do recognize his talent. Explosive, strong, amazing wrestling pedigree with knock out power, and believes in himself.
He is 17-3, been champ in previous organizations before finishing Robbie Lawler quickly to become UFC champion. He has his blemishes against a few who caught him. GSP has his blemishes as well. Tyron does have a ways to go before reaching the GOAT conversation but he definitely has what it takes to get there. He defeated Thompson twice and Wonder boy had the best style to get the job done but he couldn't seem to pull the trigger.

Woodley is young with many years left to go. If he defeats Demian Maia who has been dominating almost everyone up to this point, then goes on to face GSP and beats him then he will be in the GOAT discussion. My opinion... I feel he knocks George out early if they fight. I dont like fighters being on such long lay offs returning to fight a champion. In the past it rarely works out. Jones fighting DC is the exception as Jones is a freak talent but we still have yet to see the result so who knows.

GSP left the company damaged, coming off of a brutal fight I feel he lost to Hendricks. Even those who disagree with me on the result have to agree it was still a poor performance.

How do you think Tyron Woodley matches up with the past Welterweight greats?

GSP has wins over multiple hall of famers and fought the best WW's during a long and storied career, and has beaten every single fighter he's ever faced.

all due respect most GSP fights were boring as fuck. He is def on track.

In all fairness, Woodley's past two fights haven't exactly been barn-burners.

GSP's fights weren't boring. They were technical, and one-sided. There's a difference.

Ppl say this literally every time theres a new champ with a defense or two

Tyrons resume is underrated tho

GSP has how many decisions? Most which didnt impress me at all. Woodley has finished majority of his fights and came close to the ones he didnt. Many aspects make someone great. Laying on dudes for 5 rounds in my opinion isnt a fighter I want to claim as the greatest fighter.

GSP has more decision wins, but the total decision rate is about the same.

Woodley has 6 DW, 1DD, 2DL
GSP has 12 DW, 0DD, 0DL

45% of Woodleys fights end in decision
44% of GSP's fights end in decision.

He would need to rack up a lot of quality wins to even crack the top 2. It's hard with GSP and Hughes track record.

He would need to rack up a lot of quality wins to even crack the top 2. It's hard with GSP and Hughes track record.

Before he even gets to goat status he has to beat the other guys.

1-GSP
2-Hughes
3-Shields

He hasn't cracked top 3, and 3 made him look silly.

In all fairness, Woodley's past two fights haven't exactly been barn-burners.

The first fight with Wonderboy was FOTN on one of the biggest UFC pay per views ever. Just because the rematch sucked doesn't mean the first fight was bad.

1-GSP
2-Hughes
3-Shields

I agree. I would even rank Lawler higher. It's nothing on Woodley though. It's just that this question is being asked too son and only time will tell.

I agree. I would even rank Lawler higher. It's nothing on Woodley though. It's just that this question is being asked too son and only time will tell.
Thats why I said he is on track. Lol didnt say he is.

1-GSP
2-Hughes
3-Shields

He has to beat the other guys. Hopefully you're not meaning GSP, Hughes and Shields.

He has to beat the other guys. Hopefully you're not meaning GSP, Hughes and Shields.

Well Shields already made him his bitch...

Unless he goes on a 12 fight tear and obliterates everything in his path, and that everything he obliterates is a high level fighter...He isn't cracking past Shields at 3.

Fitch is higher yet on the list then Woodly. My god, Woodly is like fringe top 10 at best.

He will surpass Hughes. Also being the GOAT doest mean he had to be champion the entire time. He could defeat many top guys and just didnt get a shot right away. He already was the former SF champion before that. His quality of wins....He has more decisive finishes than GSP by far.

Well Shields already made him his bitch...

Unless he goes on a 12 fight tear and obliterates everything in his path, and that everything he obliterates is a high level fighter...He isn't cracking past Shields at 3.
I have no doubt he can in time. I unlike some prefer how a fighter wins as opposed to how many decision victories they have. GSP left questions in quite a few fights, even his last with Hendricks. As Woodley finished most of his leaving no question at all. I like that in a fighter. Thats my opinion.

Maia probably beats him. If GSP comes back, GSP beats him too.

I am not a fan of Tyron Woodley but I do recognize his talent. Explosive, strong, amazing wrestling pedigree with knock out power, and believes in himself.
He is 17-3, been champ in previous organizations before finishing Robbie Lawler quickly to become UFC champion. He has his blemishes against a few who caught him. GSP has his blemishes as well. Tyron does have a ways to go before reaching the GOAT conversation but he definitely has what it takes to get there. He defeated Thompson twice and Wonder boy had the best style to get the job done but he couldn't seem to pull the trigger.

Woodley is young with many years left to go. If he defeats Demian Maia who has been dominating almost everyone up to this point, then goes on to face GSP and beats him then he will be in the GOAT discussion. My opinion... I feel he knocks George out early if they fight. I dont like fighters being on such long lay offs returning to fight a champion. In the past it rarely works out. Jones fighting DC is the exception as Jones is a freak talent but we still have yet to see the result so who knows.

GSP left the company damaged, coming off of a brutal fight I feel he lost to Hendricks. Even those who disagree with me on the result have to agree it was still a poor performance.

How do you think Tyron Woodley matches up with the past Welterweight greats?
Dude he is gonna be 36 time is not on his side lol nice try though

Back