Tyron Woodley days as UFC Champion are numbered.....

Highly unlikely
So.... what makes you think Askren would beat Woodley then?

His striking sucks, Woodley is way bigger and way stronger and has one of, if not the highest TDD in UFC WW history.

Basically Ben would have to constantly be aware of not getting rocked while Woodley could completely disregard Askren's striking and then if he manages to get Woodley down he has to keep him there for at least 15 minutes seeing as how Askren has non-existent finishing ability against top level fighters.

And on top of all that Askren is retired and hasn't fought a top 30 WW in almost 6 years.

How exactly does Ben win?

So.... what makes you think Askren would beat Woodley then?

His striking sucks, Woodley is way bigger and way stronger and has one of, if not the highest TDD in UFC WW history.

Basically Ben would have to constantly be aware of not getting rocked while Woodley could completely disregard Askren's striking and then if he manages to get Woodley down he has to keep him there for at least 15 minutes seeing as how Askren has non-existent finishing ability against top level fighters.

And on top of all that Askren is retired and hasn't fought a top 30 WW in almost 6 years.

How exactly does Ben win?
The fight between the two will come down to who the better wrestler with stamina is and imo it's Ben.

They could just bring Rory back instead
He said some negative things about the UFC so it will be a bit hard to bring him back. IMO he's not the world beater people make him out to be. He lost all the "big" fights in the UFC and he barely won his last fight in Belator

Id watch, people shit on Askren but he dominates and has been doing more and more damage while he rides ya down. Still think Woodley wrecks em though.

I'm sorry, who has this Askren guy beaten?

You can't piss off the boss and expect everything to be normal. Dana has one thing on mind and that is to get rid of Woodley as his welterweight champion even if he has to strike a deal with the devil. The devil in this case is none other than Ben Askren, a boring wrestler, who is very good at what he does. The guy is undefeated but extremely one dimensional and was overlooked by the UFC previously due to his boring style. So Dana is willing to strike a deal with someone he publicly dislikes in order to eliminate Tyron from his championship crown. Joe Rogan is playing the moderator in all of this. In my opinion, this can't be good. The last thing the UFC needs right now is another boring champion.

So to get rid of the fly Dana will swallow a spider?

Because Askren is horribly boring, has zero charisma and has been shitting on Dana for years... that makes sense. Especially since Askren might be able to stop anybody more ‘exciting’ to casuals with ease for at least the next half decade.

The fight between the two will come down to who the better wrestler with stamina is and imo it's Ben.
Maybe in a wrestling match. An MMA fight in 2018 would not be competitive.

I followed most of Askren's career. He is an absolute nightmare for a fighter with any dificiencies in his wrestling. But he doesn't have the striking to set up a TD on Woodley.

The only person at WW who has a favorable chance against Woodley right now is Rory. GSP might be able to beat him if he still has sufficient athleticism and is fully motivated to dedicate himself to the task.

After that the dropoff is significant and thing won't look good for any fighter without at the very least solid technical striking essecially striking defense.

Askren is an amazing wrestler and during the earlier part of his career he might have been able to dominate elite fighters with it, but he is a one trick pony (who is amazing at that trick).
Now, in 2018, trying to compete with elite top P4P fighters without being well rounded is a foolish endeavor.

Last edited:
Maybe in a wrestling match. An MMA fight in 2018 would not be competitive.

I followed most of Askren's career. He is an absolute nightmare for a fighter with any dificiencies in his wrestling. But he doesn't have the striking to set up a TD on Woodley.

The only person at WW who has a favorable chance against Woodley right now is Rory. GSP might be able to beat him if he still has sufficient athleticism and is fully motivated to dedicate himself to the task.

After that the dropping is significant and thing won't look good for any fighter without at the very least solid technical striking essecially striking defense.

Askren is an amazing wrestler and during the earlier part of his career he might have been able to dominate elite fighters with it, but he is a one trick pony (who is amazing at that trick).
Now, in 2018, trying to compete with elite top P4P fighters without being well rounded is a foolish endeavor.
I agree with most of what you said except for the outcome of Woodley vs Askren. I hope this fight happens soon enough so we can find out who wins

Askgren hasn't beaten a single fighter I recognize aside from Aoki, who's a FW/LW and a split dec against Jay Hieron 7 years ago. He's obviously a skilled fighter but at the end of the day ridiculously unproven considering how long he's been on the scene.

Woodley would DEMOLISH Askren.

Nha it will be very close. Like a split decision. Could go either way. Askren could do what shields did to him. As in he would grind out a win for points just by pushing the pace even if tyron lands cleaner. If tyron catches him though, it could be all over.

Askgren hasn't beaten a single fighter I recognize aside from Aoki, who's a FW/LW and a split dec against Jay Hieron 7 years ago. He's obviously a skilled fighter but at the end of the day ridiculously unproven considering how long he's been on the scene.

Lima and koreshkov would be top 5 in ufc.

No....ive only been watching mma for 3 years.....

Yes i know. And what? Brock was a better wrestler on paper than Cain....Dan a better wrestler than Jon....Kos and Fitch better than GSP....etc...etc...
So how’s Tyron gonna stop a better wrestler?

Lima and koreshkov would be top 5 in ufc.

Didn't notice Askgren had beaten Lima, didn't really follow Bellator before Strikeforce floundered. Judging from his last fight he would probably not be top 5 (Woodley, Maia, Covington, RDA, Wonderboy at least) in the UFC and definitely have nothing for Woodley. But Lima is a good win. He gave McDonald a tough fight, but styles makes fights and Rory is not an explosive offensive wrestler. Koreshkov I haven't seen fight so I don't know.

Askren wouldn't deserve an immediate title shot.
Right, but he already said that's about the only thing that would bring him out of retirement.

It's a no-lose deal for White. He hates both of them. They are possibly the only two fighters he hates...

Didn't notice Askgren had beaten Lima. Judging from his last fight he would probably not be top 5 (Woodley, Maia, Covington, RDA, Wonderboy at least) in the UFC and definitely have nothing for Woodley. Koreshkov I haven't seen fight so I don't know.

Maybe. Not sure. Would like to see though.

You are joking right? He destroyed rory's leg put him in hospital despite losing yet he was fine after the fight. Honestly if the fight stayed standing in that fifth round, lima would have tko'd rory. He would absolutely annihilate covington, rda and maybe maia. Wonderboy is better and woodley is a tough matchup for him.

As I said in my full post, styles makes fight. If Rory can beat Lima with his wrestling then I expect stronger offensive wrestlers to be able to as well. Covington and Maia can't hang with Lima on the feet, but if Rory can get to him with his grappling, fighting on one leg nonetheless, then both fighters mentioned should be able to. Rory is a good jack-of-all trades fighter which I think played into Limas skills perfectly, aside from his wrestling being a bit too strong.

Back