Toughest fighters that have tapped to strikes?

convulsions of the hand
Maybe he just thought of something funny.

tenor.gif

I never saw a tap.

Shogun didn't tap to strikes. Watch the vid, his "tap" clearly came well after the ref stopped the fight and Juice Jones was literally walking away with his back to Shogun

Yup. He tapped after the ref stopped the fight. But he tapped. You guys are in crazy denial

Yup. He tapped after the ref stopped the fight. But he tapped. You guys are in crazy denial
So how does that work? Things that happen outside the actual fight are now considered part of the fight? I guess Conor tapped to whoever his last opponent was because he submitted to NYC police

You can't read Shogun's mind so you don't know what he was doing exactly. For all we know he was slapping the mat in disappointment over losing. That's actually more plausible than the idea that a seasoned veteran like Shogun wouldn't know when the fight was called

I personally don't have a problem with in most cases but I understand why it's an unwritten rule among fighters. Tapping to a locked-in hold is merely preempting the inevitable, tapping to strikes implies you're leaving something on the table. Like the fight wasn't over, you could've kept fighting, but you essentially forfeited before you were finished

Again, not saying I agree absolutely with that logic, but you can imagine a sport where it becomes acceptable to tap whenever you're getting beaten up
Well, what I am thinking is that most fighters getting beat up have no ability to tap. Look at Shogun tapping while JJ is walking away. But even BJ quitting the GSP fight shouldn't be counted against him. He was done. I can't think of even one tap to strikes at the top level that was uncalled for. There are a lot more fights where the fighters never even really engage. Woodley Maia, Starnes Quarry, etc.....

So what is worse? Tapping to strikes when you are losing brain cells? Or simply not fighting to start with?

This one's a little contentious since I'm not 100% sure that there was an actual tapout but...

Done Frye vs James Thompson
2033a73c122f719a9d799e3bb232d1b6--don-frye-james-thompson.jpg

Here's the fight, judge for yourselves:

And here's the "rematch":

Last edited:
Well, what I am thinking is that most fighters getting beat up have no ability to tap. Look at Shogun tapping while JJ is walking away. But even BJ quitting the GSP fight shouldn't be counted against him. He was done. I can't think of even one tap to strikes at the top level that was uncalled for. There are a lot more fights where the fighters never even really engage. Woodley Maia, Starnes Quarry, etc.....

So what is worse? Tapping to strikes when you are losing brain cells? Or simply not fighting to start with?
I definitely agree that deliberately refusing to engage is worse. UFC should adopt the yellow card concept; yet another reason why Pride > UFC

So how does that work? Things that happen outside the actual fight are now considered part of the fight? I guess Conor tapped to whoever his last opponent was because he submitted to NYC police

You can't read Shogun's mind so you don't know what he was doing exactly. For all we know he was slapping the mat in disappointment over losing. That's actually more plausible than the idea that a seasoned veteran like Shogun wouldn't know when the fight was called

He didn’t slap the mat though. He tapped it. ;)

Shogun didn't tap to strikes. Watch the vid, his "tap" clearly came well after the ref stopped the fight and Juice Jones was literally walking away with his back to Shogun
Oh you mean in the split second when he was knocked down, dazed, and staring at the floor (he didn’t see Herb push Jon away as he was staring at the floor in agony) that when he tapped out it really wasn’t a tap?

Can’t believe people are such fanboys that they will deny video evidence.

I knew this kind of horse shit logic would be applied that’s why I put in my opening post that he tapped as the referee was intervening.

“Tapping” the mat in frustration is definitely the biggest reach I’ve heard regarding that fight. That motion is reserved for one thing and one thing only in MMA and JiuJitsu.

Everybody can empathize with Shogun in that situation which is why we have this thread.

He told Miragliotta he couldn't continue in the middle of the fight after taking an uppercut to the face while still standing.
It's the definition of a verbal submission to strikes.
My recollection of that (I only saw the fight once when it was live) was that he was asking for a doctor to check his cut and that he conceded he could not continue.

Could just be the way I rationalized it when it happened because I was rooting for CC and that was such an anticlimactic ending.

He didn’t slap the mat though. He tapped it. ;)
Lol ok, people have never "tapped" anything out of disappointment or frustration or any kind of emotion

It was one hypothesis to counter the ridiculous one that MMA vet Shogun somehow didn't know that the fight was over even though a ref had already charged in and stopped it

Oh you mean in the split second when he was knocked down, dazed, and staring at the floor (he didn’t see Herb push Jon away as he was staring at the floor in agony) that when he tapped out it really wasn’t a tap?

Can’t believe people are such fanboys that they will deny video evidence.
I already posted the evidence and it doesn't exactly support your argument. "Split second", yet enough time for the ref to stop the fight then proceed to leave Shogun and steer the walking away Juice. All in a split second. Because that makes sense

I knew this kind of horse shit logic would be applied that’s why I put in my opening post that he tapped as the referee was intervening.
Except he "tapped" after Herb intervened. Eyeballs, how do they work

Except he "tapped" after Herb intervened. Eyeballs, how do they work
For someone who is making a comment about eyeballs, why don’t you look at where Shogun’s eyeballs were looking at, consider he was dazed at the moment, made an obvious tap motion, and not a frustrated pound to the mat, and then reply to me?

It is not reasonable to suggest that Shogun did not tap to strikes.

For someone who is making a comment about eyeballs, why don’t you look at where Shogun’s eyeballs were looking at, consider he was dazed at the moment, made an obvious tap motion, and not a frustrated pound to the mat, and then reply to me?

It is not reasonable to suggest that Shogun did not tap to strikes.
He was hurt by a liver shot but ok bud. It's not my job to beat logic into you. I posted the gif, so it's there for all to see and draw conclusions. If you want to believe he tapped to strikes, after the fight was over, then by all means keep believing lol

GSP was mentally pretty weak at that time and visited sports psychologists to deal with it

He eventually became a tough MFer as evidenced by the Condit fight where he was nearly decapitated and kept it together for 2 more rounds. But I would say GSP was quite mentally weak for the time. He also admitted to being completely intimidated by Hughes in the first fight

Yeah. GSP isn't exactly what I think of when I think of "tough" fighters. He can appear pretty mentally weak at times, but his honesty about it is a strength in a way.

Andre Roberts was a tuff sob in the early ufc, the comeback he had against Ron Waterman is still one of the best ever, But one fight before that he took what looked like just a normal jab from Gary Goodridge and tapped out.

He was hurt by a liver shot but ok bud. It's not my job to beat logic into you. I posted the gif, so it's there for all to see and draw conclusions. If you want to believe he tapped to strikes, after the fight was over, then by all means keep believing lol
Yeah and he was kneed in the fucking head after he was dropping down due to the liver shot, plus you can be “dazed” without taking a punch to the head... you can be dazed by extreme pain... such as when punched in the liver. Have you ever been punched in the liver?

Holy shit the level of arrogance in your posts when you’re telling me to get my eyes checked and you don’t even realize that after the liver shot he takes a huge knee to the head.

Fuck you’re retarded. All you can hold on to is “Herb stopped the fight, no such thing as tapping if the fight is over” when it happened in just a few seconds and it is reasonable to assume that Shogun was not aware the fight was stopped at that moment because he was severely hurt and his eyes were staring at the mat.

Look at this ANGRY DISAPPOINTED MAN FURIOUSLY SLAMMING THE MAT

34y4kmd.jpg

Watch as he stares at Herb Dean pushing Jones away, that’s the look of a man who is hyper aware.

RDA tapping after Guida punched him in the jaw and broke it

The beating Shogun took from Jones was inhuman.
The 2 beatings Big Nog took from Fedor was inhuman. Nog should have been rendered unconscious multiple times in their fights but the tough SOB never went out.

Jones beating Shogun was just brutal.

Back