Toughest fighters that have tapped to strikes?

Tappity tap tap tap.
matt-serra_georges-st-pierre.gif

Big John's nuts > Serra's punches.

GSP was mentally pretty weak at that time and visited sports psychologists to deal with it

He eventually became a tough MFer as evidenced by the Condit fight where he was nearly decapitated and kept it together for 2 more rounds. But I would say GSP was quite mentally weak for the time. He also admitted to being completely intimidated by Hughes in the first fight

His mental strength did grow as time went on. And you gave the perfect example in the Carlos fight. I actually think he might have submitted in the earlier stages of his career to the damage in that fight. But I think all of the criticism that he took for that early submission combined with his experience. He was much tougher. He was much stronger mentally..

Penn tapped out between rounds.

Does that count?

GSP was mentally pretty weak at that time and visited sports psychologists to deal with it

He eventually became a tough MFer as evidenced by the Condit fight where he was nearly decapitated and kept it together for 2 more rounds. But I would say GSP was quite mentally weak for the time. He also admitted to being completely intimidated by Hughes in the first fight
I’m not disagreeing with you 100%. But I think he had a lack of confidedence at a time, and if that equates to mental weakness then ok.

But he did later prove to be extremely physically tough by the Condit fight and Hendricks fight. And to be very mentally tough by standing up to the UFC

Shogun didn't tap to strikes. Watch the vid, his "tap" clearly came well after the ref stopped the fight and Juice Jones was literally walking away with his back to Shogun

I think Igor has to be the answer. I don't think there's anyone much tougher in the history of the sport.

You could argue Enson Inoue but it was to the point that it was destructive to his body & career.

Cro Cop tapped in K1. Got hit hard in the sternum and crumbled.

Btw, I don't see anything wrong with tapping to strikes. Live to fight another day.

Do you want me to post a gif or something? It 100% happened.
Lol you say that as if it's some kind of threat to reality. Here, I'll post it for you

24aziq1.gif

Shogun's "tap" literally came as Juice was walking away

Lol you say that as if it's some kind of threat to reality. Here, I'll post it for you

24aziq1.gif

Shogun's "tap" literally came as Juice was walking away
Shogun got pounded that fight. I would have tapped for him if I could have. I just can't understand this stigma with tapping to strikes. Is it because you are completely oblivious to what brain damage is?? Or oblivious to the fact that a rare few of these fighters have the wits left in them when they are getting pummeled and they know they aren't getting out of it that they tap? Do you really think the other guys are brave for getting beaten into unconsciousness? You better believe if they had the mental toughness they would tap too. Most fighters simply have no ability to tap to strikes when they are getting their brains scrambled.

I’m talking about people who will never have their heart questioned and tapped simply because they took too much punishment

Shogun was tapping to strikes when the referee stepped in against Jon Jones

Randy Couture tapped to strikes while mounted by a much larger Rocco Rodriguez in the 4th round. He thought his orbital was broken after taking an elbow by Ricco

And Igor Vovchanchyn tapped against Coleman when he was pinned down and taking huge knees to the top of his skull

Any other examples or is that all of them from legitimately mentally tough guys?
Subtle GSP hate thread.

Igor and Shogun for sure. These two guys are the epitome of warriors.

Igor came from the bare knuckle days where headbutts and most things were legal. He lost via submission (chin in eye) which is basically an eye gouge. This guy was taking on multiple men in a night for peanuts. That’s a true born fighter and warrior.

And fucking lol at anyone saying GSP. The guy is much more of an athlete than a true tough guy. No disrespect to GSP, he is an amazing fighter but is not in the same category as Shogun and Igor when it comes to toughness.

Shogun got pounded that fight. I would have tapped for him if I could have. I just can't understand this stigma with tapping to strikes. Is it because you are completely oblivious to what brain damage is?? Or oblivious to the fact that a rare few of these fighters have the wits left in them when they are getting pummeled and they know they aren't getting out of it that they tap? Do you really think the other guys are brave for getting beaten into unconsciousness? You better believe if they had the mental toughness they would tap too. Most fighters simply have no ability to tap to strikes when they are getting their brains scrambled.
I personally don't have a problem with in most cases but I understand why it's an unwritten rule among fighters. Tapping to a locked-in hold is merely preempting the inevitable, tapping to strikes implies you're leaving something on the table. Like the fight wasn't over, you could've kept fighting, but you essentially forfeited before you were finished

Again, not saying I agree absolutely with that logic, but you can imagine a sport where it becomes acceptable to tap whenever you're getting beaten up

Back