Toughest fighters that have tapped to strikes?

Oh you mean in the split second when he was knocked down, dazed, and staring at the floor (he didn’t see Herb push Jon away as he was staring at the floor in agony) that when he tapped out it really wasn’t a tap?

Can’t believe people are such fanboys that they will deny video evidence.

Exactly what I was going to say. I'm not hating on Shogun for tapping, he was finished, but to deny he tapped is just silly.

34y4kmd.jpg

Note how Shogun is looking at Jones legs approach him, and his immediate reaction is to turn his head away as if Jones was about to pounce and hit him some more.

Note how Herb only pushes Jones away when Shogun is staring at the mat/cage

Note that Shogun is making a tapping motion which means only one thing in MMA.

To a reasonable person, this can only mean one thing. Here is where Faustian tells me that I’m wrong because I’m not inside of Shoguns head and therefore I cannot say with certainty he tapped.

Penn tapped out between rounds.

Does that count?
Penn didn't tap out between rounds. His brother refused to let him go back out. His corner threw the towel in. Right call.

Rory pretty much tapped to strikes against Lawler

34y4kmd.jpg

Watch as he stares at Herb Dean pushing Jones away, that’s the look of a man who is hyper aware.
Lmao thanks for pointing that out, you do realize that the "tap" occurred after he looks at Herb pushing Juice away?

Also: sounds how do they work? Like if a ref is breaking up a fight and is vocalizing the stoppage how can you possibly know what's going on when he does that?

Rory pretty much tapped to strikes against Lawler
I've always believed that that. Ruthless did not knock Rory out. Rory basically gave up because his nose was shattered and the pain was too much. He laid back and said "enough is enough. I'm done."

I'm not hating on Rory for it. The guy put on one the 3 greatest fights ever in my opinion and took a ton of damage in process.

Last edited:
Lmao thanks for pointing that out, you do realize that the "tap" occurred after he looks at Herb pushing Juice away?

Also: sounds how do they work? Like if a ref is breaking up a fight and is vocalizing the stoppage how can you possibly know what's going on when he does that?

The tap occurs as he sees Jones moving in to hit him again. You need to get your eyes checked.

Are you trying to argue that the fight result was not Submission (Strikes)?

That’s the only way your logic makes sense. We all know it was a TKO because Herb stopped it but Shogun intended to tap.

Shogun was not looking at Herb when he was tapping. You can’t even bring up your shitty little “he was angrily tapping the mat” argument anymore. Why don’t you explain that?

And again, you’re reaching again with sounds in an Arena with 12k+ people yelling at the top of their lungs while a man is crumbling in pain.

For shame. I talk out of my ass a lot too, but when someone proves me wrong I admit it.

The tap occurs as he sees Jones moving in to hit him again. You need to get your eyes checked.

lol wtf Juice is literally facing the opposite direction when the "tap" happens

Jesus, watch the gif again and focus on Shogun's right hand, right in front of it you'll see Juice's shin facing at least 90 degrees away. That means Juice was already walking away

Insane (but not exactly surprising) that I have to explain this shit to people

Are you trying to argue that the fight result was not Submission (Strikes)?

That’s the only way your logic makes sense. We all know it was a TKO because Herb stopped it but Shogun intended to tap.

Shogun was not looking at Herb when he was tapping. You can’t even bring up your shitty little “he was angrily tapping the mat” argument anymore. Why don’t you explain that?

And again, you’re reaching again with sounds in an Arena with 12k+ people yelling at the top of their lungs while a man is crumbling in pain.

For shame. I talk out of my ass a lot too, but when someone proves me wrong I admit it.
So now it goes from "Shogun tapped" to "Shogun intended to tap"

I've always believed that that. RutblRut did not knock Rory out. Rory basically basic up because his nose was shattered and the pain was too much. He laid back and said "enough is enough. I'm done."

I'm not hating on Rory for it. The guy put on one the 3 greatest fights ever in my opinion and took a ton of damage in process.

My Son gives me shit about it. To this day he jabs me with "Rory Quit". I prefer to think he merely cowered, turtled, and conceded defeat. Props both guys.

Nobody but you is arguing technicalities on the final result of the fight.

I never said Shogun officially lost via Submission, I said that he submitted to Jones as Herb was stopping the fight. If Herb took a second longer to react, he would have had to stop it because of Shoguns tapping.

You can’t even address my argument anymore and you just focus on an error I made.

You’re a waste of time.

Nobody but you is arguing technicalities on the final result of the fight.

I never said Shogun officially lost via Submission, I said that he submitted to Jones as Herb was stopping the fight. If Herb took a second longer to react, he would have had to stop it because of Shoguns tapping.

You’re a waste of time.
Except it was after Herb stopped the fight

Look you have a good thread concept here and a good OP but I'm just trying to clarify something

Intended my ass. The ref stopped the fight, and he tapped to make damn sure. Be honest, his body language was essentially tapping as he retreated to the fence.

Back