To tip or not to tip

It's going to be hilarious to see people triggered when they don't feel like the service was good when tipping is taken away. Knowing they are paying way more than when it was optional.

So a friend and I were arguing earlier today about tips. He works as a server and I have not so we have entirely different perspectives on this topic. Essentially, I told him that the customer should not be expected to tip and should he/she not tip it should be seen as a sign of poor service rather than being cheap. He said that the servers rely on the tips as they don't get paid minimum wage but I countered by pointing out that the restaurant is legally obligated to ensure the servers make at least minimum wage should their tips not amount to it. He insisted that wasn't the case but I confirmed it on my own later on. He also said that being a server is an extremely stressful job and even if the service is not ideal the customer should tip because of this I said that should a server consistently fail to earn a tip its a sign that the individual just isn;t good at his/her job and maybe they should improve or quit. He insisted that it was just an asshole move not to tip regardless of the quality of service.

Cliffs:
-I say tips should be earned, not expected
-A friend disagrees and says that given the nature of the pay and stress a customer should have to pay at least 15%

What say you Sherdog? Should waiter/waitresses be entitled to tips or should you only tip them according to the quality of their service? Am I an asshole or is he just a bit entitled?

Should be 100% optional and only given out as a reward for over the top service.

This entitied tip culture/automatic tipping is bullshit. I have waitresses who are semi-retarded and provide shit service expecting over 20% tip. I don't give it to them, they need to improve. I won't reward shit behavior.

What about take-out?

A couple of times I've felt like a piece of shit for putting a big ass line where the tip line is when getting take out. I look at it like, you didn't wait on me, you just answered the phone, put the food in containers and then in a bag. Why tip?

But that pathetic <$3 hourly salary makes me think I should go at least 10%

Whats with all the tipping threads in Mayberry today anyway?

Was there some news event to spark this or just random?
Tipping threads are like flu season. They come around pretty regularly. Nothing really new to add other than a few new people that want to bitch about it one way or another.

You are a piece of shit. What you are doing is assault. Lucky bottom dwellers like you will be replaced by automation or be caught via increasing servailance.

OH blah blah. Love how the people who won't tip anyone and laugh about it then tuck tail and cry assault. I'm happy to be a raging asshole if you are an asshole. We know where all the cameras are dumbass. You treat me like shit I'll do the same to you.

How much I tip depends on the service, but even with bad service ill still leave a small tip. People that just flat out don't tip no matter what are assholes.

Pay first, get food, eat food, leave tip if you want and fuck off.

I used to work in a job in London where I was paid minimum wage with no benefits. It was a customer service role and I’d get tip at times, though taking tip is a sackable offence. I’d figure that I would tip up to a quid to a fiver if I needed to be pushed around, depending on how far they pushed and helped me (I worked in disability assistance and my work ranged from five minutes out the door to twenty there and back, pushing people of some weight up and down slopes).

Tip corrupts people and turns colleagues against each other. Both liked and hated receiving tip. Found it to be oddly disgraceful in a way, like a carrot on a stick.

If someone wants to give a little extra then by all means, do so. Nobody should be pressured to give extra though.

I also believe that every business should pay the living wage for that area, at least.

You 're posting all over this thread. It's obvious you're just trying to get attention and push buttons.

Ya to the sheep who tip for no reason. Im not trying to get attention from mythical avatars lol

So a friend and I were arguing earlier today about tips. He works as a server and I have not so we have entirely different perspectives on this topic. Essentially, I told him that the customer should not be expected to tip and should he/she not tip it should be seen as a sign of poor service rather than being cheap. He said that the servers rely on the tips as they don't get paid minimum wage but I countered by pointing out that the restaurant is legally obligated to ensure the servers make at least minimum wage should their tips not amount to it. He insisted that wasn't the case but I confirmed it on my own later on. He also said that being a server is an extremely stressful job and even if the service is not ideal the customer should tip because of this I said that should a server consistently fail to earn a tip its a sign that the individual just isn;t good at his/her job and maybe they should improve or quit. He insisted that it was just an asshole move not to tip regardless of the quality of service.

Cliffs:
-I say tips should be earned, not expected
-A friend disagrees and says that given the nature of the pay and stress a customer should have to pay at least 15%

What say you Sherdog? Should waiter/waitresses be entitled to tips or should you only tip them according to the quality of their service? Am I an asshole or is he just a bit entitled?

I tip regularly unless the place is very expensive and has what they call service charge added to the price of the menu. If I like the service and overall experience I can tip big. My Aunt Tips big too she pulled $20USD bill one time for a tip, from where I am from that is a lot! considering minimum wage per day in my city is about $12 but my grouchy mom was like we don't tip here we are not Americans lol.

OH blah blah. Love how the people who won't tip anyone and laugh about it then tuck tail and cry assault. I'm happy to be a raging asshole if you are an asshole. We know where all the cameras are dumbass. You treat me like shit I'll do the same to you.

Youre comparing a person who commits no crime to yourself that is committing a crime. Youre fucking dense and a horrible person

I tip delivery guys handsomely. That way, my order always goes on top of the pile and delivery boys make sure I don't wait long. I've heard some of them fight to bring my order because they know the tip will be good.

Ya to the sheep who tip for no reason. Im not trying to get attention from mythical avatars lol

Yawn - keep getting spit and boogers in your food. You're a fool if you don't think servers don't recognize you and get the kitchen to do that kind of shit.

Yawn - keep getting spit and boogers in your food. You're a fool if you don't think servers don't recognize you and get the kitchen to do that kind of shit.
so you tip out of fear...got ya

Its usually broke people who dont tip. They want to eat like they have money but they cant tip like they have money.

They'll use some lame excuse like the service wasnt good but in reality they're just broke or cheap or both.

I used to wait tables when I was in college. I liked getting the tips, but even back then I thought it was a stupid concept.

I still tip nowadays, but it bothers me. I do it mostly out of obligation, and I don't want the server to think there was something wrong with them, so I do it.

The only time I don't tip is if the service sucks and it's a restaurant I'm never coming back to. Don't want them to spit in my food next time they see me.

The major thing that I hate about tipping is the sense of entitlement. If a server doesn't get a tip, they should think, "How do I improve my service?"

But instead, their first thought is "cheap bastards..."

Depends on the service if shit service I leave very small or no tip

Youre comparing a person who commits no crime to yourself that is committing a crime. Youre fucking dense and a horrible person

No I'm letting you know when you are an asshole your shit gets fucked with. I'm not debating morals I'm speaking facts, so if your cool with not tipping and repeating establishments you are certainly committing to drinking/eating tainted product. I do it all the time as do many others. We just laugh about it. You lose and we lose l but you start the process

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back