To tip or not to tip

Its just always hilarious to me the people who brag and laugh about how they don't tip, fuck the servers, etc. Do you really think I don't make money or that I'm some shit server? Absolutely not. Truth is there are few and far in between people who don't tip. They are placed on a list we all know who you are if you frequent an establishment. Once a-fucking-gain I'm simply informing those who talk all their shit about not tipping that generally if you frequent the establishment and practice stuffing servers your food or more than likely your drink is tainted. Jesus christ.

This. The guys who think they're being so original and interesting with their take on tipping. Shut up and pay the bill and get out. They make up <10% of total customers. They're a tiresome inconvenience, not a real issue. Glad I don't serve though. I interact with customers for 10 seconds.

An IHOP in Abilene, TX - is getting paid 50k, most of which is undeclared tips enough? If we removed tips, how much is a fare wage for the person?

That would not be the norm. The average waiter/waitress is not making a killing. I'm in an industry where I see financials, and they aren't good. I know they don't always report everything, but I also know where they live and many can't even afford a house.

This isn't a difficult concept. The people that bring up waiters/waitresses make under minimum are basically stating that they tip because that's how the pay structure is set up. If it wasn't that way, the cost would be wrapped in the menu price anyways. The restaurant industry is still a brutal industry. Owners aren't making a killing from paying waiters under minimum.

That would not be the norm. The average waiter/waitress is not making a killing. I'm in an industry where I see financials, and they aren't good. I know they don't always report everything, but I also know where they live and many can't even afford a house.

This isn't a difficult concept. The people that bring up waiters/waitresses make under minimum are basically stating that they tip because that's how the pay structure is set up. If it wasn't that way, the cost would be wrapped in the menu price anyways. The restaurant industry is still a brutal industry. Owners aren't making a killing from paying waiters under minimum.

I have an issue with unreported income and not prices of goods, I still tip well because I understand how the game works, but I would honestly be much happier if prices went up if it would eliminate the former. Just like yourself, I am also in an industry where I see people's finances, but from an investigative side (maybe also like yourself I don't know), and yes there are plenty of servers that make close to nothing in some tiny can't find it on a map town, but there are also plenty that make more than 80k in cities that have a decent college or nightlife scene. If you are good at your job then you deserve to get paid, but just don't steal.

Speaking from both sides of the coin, I'm a server, and obviously I tip everywhere you can tip; it's good karma to begin with, even when I don't get good service I still tip at least 15%. why?
Because I've been at work having bad days, sometimes you don't wan't to give bad service, but can't help to. Besides just because someone wasn't a good server, doesn't mean I need to retaliate, I always try to do good karma.

The purpose of life IMO s to be happy, and when you do good, and you give, you feel good, and you live happier.

ps: also I've never seen and I would never allow someone messing with someone's food.

I have an issue with unreported income and not prices of goods, I still tip well because I understand how the game works, but I would honestly be much happier if prices went up if it would eliminate the former. Just like yourself, I am also in an industry where I see people's finances, but from an investigative side (maybe also like yourself I don't know), and yes there are plenty of servers that make close to nothing in some tiny can't find it on a map town, but there are also plenty that make more than 80k in cities that have a decent college or nightlife scene. If you are good at your job then you deserve to get paid, but just don't steal.

Why though? I just don't see how that is advantageous to you as a consumer. I generally tip around 20% for good service. 15% is for average service. I'll tip less than that if the service is awful. This weekend we went to a lodge where we didn't get good service at the restaurant. It was fairly average and I tipped 15%. If there was no tipping, my menu price would likely be increased by 20% or more.

I generally don't have bad experiences at restaurants and tip around 15-20%. If tipping was abolished, I know I'd be paying more overall and I'm running the risk of service being worse.

It’s nice to tip if the person provides you great service

Any rational person can surmise that a tip system is superior for all parties involved

This isn't rocket science

Incentive based pay is simply the single best method of maximizing efficiency and profits and customer service in an industry such as dining, which is such a unique industry in its operation that I almost refuse to give credibility to anyone who doesn't have direct experience working within it

Back