"to be the champ you have to beat the champ" is a lie

Strickland had as good a performance as he could hope for and he still lost.

Strickland would easily win a rematch.

He won the first fight, obviously, but completely figured out DDP by round 5.

DDP looked absolutely ridiculous punching air all fight long.

Guarantee Sean throws that right far more in the rematch.

The champion should be a man or woman that decisively, unquestionably, won a title fight.

Sean Strickland won the title decisively against Izzy. He left no doubt. It was a schooling from beginning to end.

The champion deserves the benefit of the doubt, such as Jones has gotten numerous times in his career, or GSP against Hendricks, etc.

This is extremely sad and Strickland's life will change dramatically without the belt.

Champions already get the benefit of draws and NC's.

A split decision in a title fight is no different than any other fight. It just means 1 judge disagreed. It doesn't even necessarily mean the fight was close (though they usually go hand in hand)

I don’t think a defending champ should get any special advantage. You ideally want a fight to be evaluated objectively, without favouritism, no matter what the fighters’ records or histories are. But I would say you can’t be an undisputed champion if you won by split decision. A split decision by definition is a disputed outcome.

Last edited:
Strickland would easily win a rematch.

He won the first fight, obviously, but completely figured out DDP by round 5.

DDP looked absolutely ridiculous punching air all fight long.

Guarantee Sean throws that right far more in the rematch.
*In your opinion

Off the top of my head, if we apply this standard Mighty Mouse never lost the belt and Rose would still be the UFC womans's champion.

Who else would still be champion today with this suggestion?

He plods forward behind the jab, jabbing & parrying, snapping out of front kick to win (or lose) boring decisions.
Did he advance once in that last fight?

I feel like Strickland did a bit of a Holly Holm by dethroning Adesanya. It was something that we didn't expect and elevated him beyond his actual capabilities in the eyes of fans, making him out to be something other than the one dimensional fighter he is. I seriously doubt he sees the belt again.

That's giving a handicap to the champion. Terrible idea.

The only thing I would change with title fights is being a little more lenient on finishes (both ways) because a title is on the line. I don't like seeing people lose the belt or lose their opportunity at a belt with quick stoppages. For some, it might be their only chance ever.

Idiotic thread and prolly obvious troll. Or had bet big ang lost big on Sean.

That being said, I'm curious how often had a champ lost the belt by split decision. Too lazy to google.

This can't work because you'll have cases where 2 judges score it like 5-0 for the obvious winner, but then a judge like Chris Lee will come along and score it 5-0 the other way.

Even if you think Strickland won, using that fight as an example of bad judging is dumb. The stats were very close striking wise and then DDP had 6 takes down on top of that. It was a super close back in forth fight.

Personally I had Driscus winning but had they given it to Sean I would have understood as it was super close.

Bad judging is stuff like

Leonard Garcia Vs Nam Phan
Paddy Pimblett Vs Jared Gordon
Michael Bisping Vs Matt Hamill
Johnny Hendricks Vs GSP

This was just a case of lots of people really liking Sean Strickland and wanting him to win, and since he didn’t get dominated or finished they have a hard time accepting that he didn’t win the fight.

Almost all of the judging is bad and inconsistent, I'm also not sure how you could say this fight wasn't bad when you listed Gsp vs Hendricks as bad.

The criteria is bullshit that changes with the wind, reffing is also ridiculously arbitrary, one guy may take a point where as one guy will let shit go several rounds before they even issue a warning.

how do we not get more draws, it would actually justify the amount of instant rematches we see off of coin flip decisions.

We're not talking referees, we're talking judges. You don't get the difference?

Still,I've never seen a referee lose his license over a bad call in any sport, unless he/she was proven to be corrupt.

Bobby Green probably took about 20 unnecessary blows and I'm sure we'll see Kerry Hatley let some shit like that happen again without consequence, I can't think of any refs being punished for calls that would be deemed dangerous.

total bullshit it´s a realistical fight sport to see who is the better man in those 25 minutes. Holding a title should not give you a unlogical and unnatural advantage in the scoring.

No, the point just flew over your head.

THE champion deserves the benefit of the doubt because he unquestionably won the title. He left zero doubt.

THE CHALLENGER should have to win definitively to get the nod because he never unquestionably won the title.
You need to reread what I wrote. I understood the point, but you did not explain it well. In fact, what you wrote, as I noted, is the opposite of the point you were trying to make.

Back