Tip On Take Out Order?

Yeah, but thats the thing. People in this thread are all arguing that you owe them a tip just because they have the job they have. Literally thats it. They get this job, and now you as a consumer owe them something. Its insane and ridiculous.
I can see both sides of this conversation as I have waitress friends (clubs/pubs making good coin) and have heard some shit stories from them.

The thing is, gratuity is the norm. Yeah, I tip, and yeah in some cases I feel it's a rip off. As in restaurants with mandatory gratuity. The fuck is that, over? But it's generally understood that's the way the service industry works. *shrug* it is what it is. Both sides have vaid points imo.

I can see both sides of this conversation as I have waitress friends (clubs/pubs making good coin) and have heard some shit stories from them.

The thing is, gratuity is the norm. Yeah, I tip, and yeah in some cases I feel it's a rip off. As in restaurants with mandatory gratuity. The fuck is that, over? But it's generally understood that's the way the service industry works. *shrug* it is what it is. Both sides have vaid points imo.

Doesnt everyone have shit stories from every job theyve ever had? Buddy of mine at my work just had a sliver of wood shoved up an inch underneath his index fingernail. I think thats worse than having to make several salads and put them in a container. He could have taken a couple days off, but workers comp doesnt kick in for 3 days so he'd either lose money or use his sick/vacation time. Does that suck? Yes it does. Nobody gave him a goddamn tip for coming to work the next day.

Im not saying dont tip them. Im saying the tip is something theyre more than free to earn. Weve all had shit service as well as heard the sob stories.

Doesnt everyone have shit stories from every job theyve ever had? Buddy of mine at my work just had a sliver of wood shoved up an inch underneath his index fingernail. I think thats worse than having to make several salads and put them in a container. He could have taken a couple days off, but workers comp doesnt kick in for 3 days so he'd either lose money or use his sick/vacation time. Does that suck? Yes it does. Nobody gave him a goddamn tip for coming to work the next day.

Im not saying dont tip them. Im saying the tip is something theyre more than free to earn. Weve all had shit service as well as heard the sob stories.
Hey, I'm in a service industry of sorts - self employed contractor, so I have my share of bullshit to deal with that goes above an beyond any waitress horror story.

I'm fully behind the idea that a tip is to be earned, and should reflect the level of service received. Incentivizing performance usually nets decent, desired results. Hence my dislike for mandatory gratuity, which is complete bs in my opinion.

Having said that, I'm bailing from this thread to go play in one about pit bulls, or abortion perhaps. They're usually mellower. :D

They put food into containers and then bags -- that compensation should come out of the mark up on food. Tipping people to put food into bags now, nope. If the order is that large, specify a service charge. Otherwise, its a gloried grocery store.

I rather bypass the plebeians and hand the extra money to the people who cooked my food.

If grocery stores still took your groceries out to your car and loaded them, would you give that person a tip?

Nope -- cost of that service is included in the cost of the product. Just like I don't tip the mailman or FedEx guy who walk in the snow to deliever me my packages -- it's factored in.

To be fair, servers get 12.20 an hr minimum where i am from -- seems plenty to pack containers into bags.
If grocery stores still took your groceries out to your car and loaded them, would you give that person a tip?

I don't tip period. You tell me the price is $20, and I am paying just that. I shouldn't be forced to figure out how much extra to pay because places are too cheap to pay enough. Lets see, if a waiter brings me a steak at this place i need to pay $15 extra. But if a different person does the exact same thing at another place it is only worth $10. GTFOH.

i've never seen a person tip a pizza place for carryout, if that matters....virtually everyone tips at least a dollar for delivery though. i'd shame someone out my house if they didn't

We should just encourage employers to pay their own staff and leave tips as they were originally intended, as a bonus, not an automatic payout.

Tips shouldn't be expected. This leads to entitlement and a lower quality of work.

I read an article where they interviewed her. She said she spent almost her entire shift preparing that massive order. She wasn't able to wait many tables and took home 18 dollars for her entire shift.
Yeah. Her bitching made them refund all the food lmao

Real chump here is outback steakhouse

In the late 90's, the baggers that did this did get tips. My brother worked for Publix at his first job when he was 16. It was insane the amount of money he made. This was back when minimum wage was around $6. Most people tipped $1, but some tipped more for each time he'd take out the groceries. This 16 year old kid was bringing in near $15 an hour back then!

Ive literally never known a server that didnt make at least minimum wage prior to tips. Maybe youre an anomaly, or maybe youre completely full of shit. Either way, working for a restaurant committed to illegal practices regarding their paid labor is not the norm.

Seriously? There have been dozens of tipping threads where employees have stated that they didn't make minimum wage on some shifts. It's a risk/reward scenario for them. Do they go to the employer and try to actually recoup from a slow night where the restaurant actually took a hit? Sure, collect your $30 and then see how your schedule looks in the coming weeks. It's one of those rules that isn't very practical.

I don't tip period. You tell me the price is $20, and I am paying just that. I shouldn't be forced to figure out how much extra to pay because places are too cheap to pay enough. Lets see, if a waiter brings me a steak at this place i need to pay $15 extra. But if a different person does the exact same thing at another place it is only worth $10. GTFOH.

Did you forget what account you're logged into? Your gimmick calls for you to say that waitresses are disproportionately women of colour and therefore are owed tips as reparations, or some such bullshit.

What i'm thinking is how the hell did they manage to wing a full refund on 735 dollars?!!! Jesus

And then I try to make a complaint on a 5 pound KFC and get a free medium Pepsi.. Fuck my life

I can explain your puzzlement as to how they were able to wrangle a full $735 refund.

Christ Church is a fucking behemoth that has a congregation of over 26,000 people over several campuses in South Florida. They were safeguarding hundreds of thousands in revenue. For several locations I suspect.

Publicly dissing a customer on social media is just bad fucking ju-ju. Unless you own the joint and don't give a shit about the consequences, probably should not do it.

Last edited:
I admit I do tip on Takeouts. Just normally less. Perhaps 10%. I don't really feel an obligation to do it. But the fact that I order takeout pretty regularly, and only from a few places, compels me to do so because I think it's in my best interest.

I always end up with extra goodies in my order that I am relatively certain others do not get. Occasionally I end up with a whole extra meal. If they have a new beer they are offering in the restaurant (I also dine in at the places) they pop one or 2 in the bag for me to try it out. Which is pretty amazing since I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

All told, I imagine I come out a little ahead. But the regularity in which I patron a place certainly effect my tip. Though I tip well everywhere, I certainly tip better locally.

What's more absurd is Pizza Hut and Domino's charging a $2.50 delivery fee for any delivery order and then the driver expecting a fucking tip on top of it. Nope. There will be no tip. 20% tip is already included on the bill as far as I'm concerned.

Get a new job if you don't like it.
I liked your post because i do agree with it... however, where i live there are around 5 or six mom and pop pizza places, and i do plan on tipping a few extra bucks when i eventually order from them. Places will remember you, and if you tip a little extra, 9/10 times you'll end up getting a faster delivery or get a few freebies.

What I don't get is fast food employees expecting a tip.

Really?
Another one is starbucks... dude, I'm paying 5 or 6 bucks for a damn coffee (yeah i'm a sucka i know), but there's no way i'm tipping there. Gtfo with that crap.

Seriously? There have been dozens of tipping threads where employees have stated that they didn't make minimum wage on some shifts. It's a risk/reward scenario for them. Do they go to the employer and try to actually recoup from a slow night where the restaurant actually took a hit? Sure, collect your $30 and then see how your schedule looks in the coming weeks. It's one of those rules that isn't very practical.

Yes, seriously. Never. Closest Ive seen were a place that some friends worked at that said they were making all the employees independent contractors, which is bullshit for obvious reasons. Also another where the manager went through the tip jar after every shift and put that toward the employees paychecks first before going into his own pocket. The latter is douche material, but also legal.

Both of these are local business. I'm gonna need more than angry posters on facebook before I start accepting that national chains like Outback are routinely breaking laws in how they pay their labor.

Yes, seriously. Never. Closest Ive seen were a place that some friends worked at that said they were making all the employees independent contractors, which is bullshit for obvious reasons. Also another where the manager went through the tip jar after every shift and put that toward the employees paychecks first before going into his own pocket. The latter is douche material, but also legal.

Both of these are local business. I'm gonna need more than angry posters on facebook before I start accepting that national chains like Outback are routinely breaking laws in how they pay their labor.

Good point when it comes to national chains. I'm not sure if it would be that common there. It's just one of those risk/reward type things. Is it really worth rocking the boat for $20-$30 on one shift? The managers making the schedule have the power, and that is who they employees will be going to.

I'm not anti-tip and I have never worked as a server. I just feel a lot of the arguments from the anti-tip crowd are pretty silly from a consumer standpoint. Restaurants have implemented "no tip" and the cost of food has gone up over 20% at many of these. I generally don't tip more than 20%. As a consumer, that gives me the option of paying that 20%, or I can pay less. Why in the world would I want to pay more all of the time? People always say "we are paying the servers when the restaurant should". It's such an illogical argument. The restaurant would just do a markup, so the consumer is still paying.

Back