Tip On Take Out Order?

I never tip if i order on the phone/ online and drive there to pick it up.

If they are bringing it to my car, the yes I will tip a little., but I rarely use curb side pickup.

They put food into containers and then bags -- that compensation should come out of the mark up on food. Tipping people to put food into bags now, nope. If the order is that large, specify a service charge. Otherwise, its a gloried grocery store.

I rather bypass the plebeians and hand the extra money to the people who cooked my food.

Becsuse youve been in this thread defending not leaving her a couple bucks on a $700 takeout that she took to the car...

Its not insane. I never had any restaraunt properly compensate me when i didnt make minimum wage. I know theyre supposed to, but they do not.

I refuse to wait tables anymore, but ive been there and it is extremely frustrating how ignorant people can be when it comes to tipping.

I dont even remember saying anything about tipping her. I said it wasnt hard to do what she did (put things in a container and wrap it in a bag, and then walk it out to a car), and that she isnt making less than minimum wage unless her employer is breaking laws.

Ive literally never known a server that didnt make at least minimum wage prior to tips. Maybe youre an anomaly, or maybe youre completely full of shit. Either way, working for a restaurant committed to illegal practices regarding their paid labor is not the norm.

Last edited:
Do what i do and never tip. If you tip youre a sheep that just follows the masses with no original thought in your head

hope you don't go to the same restaurant twice, your food may have more ingredients than you think lol.

They put food into containers and then bags -- that compensation should come out of the mark up on food. Tipping people to put food into bags now, nope. If the order is that large, specify a service charge. Otherwise, its a gloried grocery store.

I rather bypass the plebeians and hand the extra money to the people who cooked my food.
That would be a baller move.

Go inside and tip the kitchen. Thats the kind of shit a church should do

as far as tipping on a $700 pick-up, maybe the restaurant in question should consider the fact that someone decided to spend that much money at their place, as opposed to someplace else. pretty sure the restaurant made A LOT more money on the order-alone, as opposed to if they chose to go someplace else. would it have been nice? sure. but which option would the restaurant in question have chosen, if given the choice: loading up all that food into containers, or not getting the service at all? think we all know the answer to that question.

The problem with servers now a days is they expect the tip. Im going to give one but it does depend on the service. I have a test. I put my empty beer on the edge of the table. If they see it and dont ask me right away if I want another one (i do) they just lost a little bit of the tip. I have a few women friends who think they dont have to say anything or even be very nice and they should still get tipped. Doesnt work like that. Then you have entitled bitches like the one in the video. She was probably the hostess and didnt even do much if anything to help the order. Fuck them and their poor entitiled attitudes. I have never not tipped but I will give you a shitty one if your a shitty waiter.

For takeout I only tip if they actually do something that resembles serving me. Special order, bring to my car, etc. If a host just hands a bag over, they didn't spend or do anything extra.

What i'm thinking is how the hell did they manage to wing a full refund on 735 dollars?!!! Jesus

Exactly

And how TF do they "put the order together"? I'm sure she didn't get tipped on a $50 takeout order but since it was 700+ she wants a slice.

Ok..I don't generally tip much for takeout....but over $700?

If you order $700 from a restaurant, yeah, you fucking tip.

That's a lot of food , a lot of money, give a tip.

Not rocket science. Just common sense.

That really is a lot of work for a server, and it is taking their time away from customers who are in the restaurant and are going to probably tip. Servers don't "cook" the food but they do have to put all sorts of shit together and gather random side items. The line cooks are not packaging all that shit up. lol

I tip by not as much. I rotate between bbq, Spanish food, and Italian take out for like $30 when my girl and I are both working. I tip like $3

That really is a lot of work for a server, and it is taking their time away from customers who are in the restaurant and are going to probably tip. Servers don't "cook" the food but they do have to put all sorts of shit together and gather random side items. The line cooks are not packaging all that shit up. lol

Putting things in styrofoam containers is not "a lot of work".

As for tipping for take out. The whole point of tippuing a server is theyre supposed to be going out of their way to make your dining experience better. If my drink is always full and I never wait long to be able to tell my server what I need, guess who gets a tip?

The notion now is that a tip is just owed, not earned, and thats bullshit. You dont deserve free money for showing up and doing the bare minimum of your duties.

Putting things in styrofoam containers is not "a lot of work".

As for tipping for take out. The whole point of tippuing a server is theyre supposed to be going out of their way to make your dining experience better. If my drink is always full and I never wait long to be able to tell my server what I need, guess who gets a tip?

The notion now is that a tip is just owed, not earned, and thats bullshit. You dont deserve free money for showing up and doing the bare minimum of your duties.

They do more than just put food in containers. They would be making salads and other random shit too. 700 dollars worth of food is a lot of work for a server, and in this case she spent nearly her entire shift putting together the order. Because of this she made hardly any money from any tables. She was basically working for free.

It is a hazard you have to deal with as a server, and she had every right to complain. However, she should have never mentioned the church by name which was the problem.

What's more absurd is Pizza Hut and Domino's charging a $2.50 delivery fee for any delivery order and then the driver expecting a fucking tip on top of it. Nope. There will be no tip. 20% tip is already included on the bill as far as I'm concerned.

Get a new job if you don't like it.

depends on the place where I’m grabbing the takeout. i’ll leave a couple bucks at the sandwich shop down the street for example because I know the person handing me my food most likely made it as well.

typically don’t order takeout though because I’m a lazy piece of trash & have an unhealthy relationship w/ GrubHub.

For those dissing tipping, the tips give workers incentive to provide good service and care about the customers needs. The workers make more money relying on the tips than the company is actually willing to pay them. Without the tipping system, workers will not make as much and won’t give a shit about the whiny demands of annoying customers. There’s a reason that service is better at sit-down restaurants than fast-food joints.

They do more than just put food in containers. They would be making salads and other random shit too. 700 dollars worth of food is a lot of work for a server, and in this case she spent nearly her entire shift putting together the order. Because of this she made hardly any money from any tables. She was basically working for free.

It is a hazard you have to deal with as a server, and she had every right to complain. However, she should have never mentioned the church by name which was the problem.

Yeah,they would be doing their job. I get it. I'm saying these things are not nearly as difficult as people are making them out to be.

Making a salad? Holy shit, did their fingers bleed from the strain?

She wasn't " basically working for free". The hyperbole is drowning out any point you're trying to make.

Also, are you referring to another articles or something? Because nothing in the link mentions her working her entire shift on this one order. Did you completely make that up?

Last edited:
If I walk in to pick up my food then I'm not tipping.

If someone delivered it out to my car I'd give them a few bucks.

Lugging out $700 worth of food should earn a small percentage. No where near the 20% I usually tip though. As others mentioned, there are no tables or dishes to clean up, no return trips to the table to see to drinks or needs, and the wait staff isn't kept hopping. The restaurant should waive tip out on such occasions as a gratuity isn't warranted for services bit rendered.

Yeah,they would be doing their job. I get it. I'm saying these things are not nearly as difficult as people are making them out to be.

Making a salad? Holy shit, did their fingers bleed from the strain?

She wasn't " basically working for free". The hyperbole is drowning out any point you're trying to make.

Also, are you referring to another articles or something? Because nothing in the link mentions her working her entire shift on this one order. Did you completely make that up?

I read an article where they interviewed her. She said she spent almost her entire shift preparing that massive order. She wasn't able to wait many tables and took home 18 dollars for her entire shift.

Lugging out $700 worth of food should earn a small percentage. No where near the 20% I usually tip though. As others mentioned, there are no tables or dishes to clean up, no return trips to the table to see to drinks or needs, and the wait staff isn't kept hopping. The restaurant should waive tip out on such occasions as a gratuity isn't warranted for services bit rendered.

Yeah, but thats the thing. People in this thread are all arguing that you owe them a tip just because they have the job they have. Literally thats it. They get this job, and now you as a consumer owe them something. Its insane and ridiculous.

Back