Tip On Take Out Order?

Did you forget what account you're logged into? Your gimmick calls for you to say that waitresses are disproportionately women of colour and therefore are owed tips as reparations, or some such bullshit.
I have my own belief system. I dont follow one ideology. In fact i often change "sides" depending on the topic. The problem here is with the businesses not the servers. I shouldnt be required to pay their wage. So when you tell me a burger and fries costs 9.99, thats what i am gonna pay. Not 9.99 plus help pay the server

I always tip on takeout at my local Chinese place, they have also started giving me extra food.

i may be the only person who feels this way, but this is my take on tipping waiters and waitresses:

to me, it's a job i would never like to do. and the reason for it, is because i personally find it to be demeaning. i in no way want to offend anyone who performs those jobs. i have respect for anyone who gets off their asses and works for a living. but i would personally not like to spend eight hours a day waiting on people and trying to please them as much as i can simply to get a tip. for that reason, i enjoy giving them good tips, and i appreciate their service.

in other jobs that people in this thread have brought up, and why they wonder why they don't get tips, it's because those other jobs are standard. as in, the business does their job their way, and you either take it or you don't, and go someplace else. in a restaurant environment, you are expected to cater to the customer's needs in a way where you're essentially waiting on the people hand-and-foot. and you also have to deal with sometimes terrible attitudes, and are expected to accept it. we've all probably seen the unreasonable and downright angry customer who complains about their steak not being cooked to their satisfaction and causing a scene. if you deal with shit like that on a regular basis, you deserve a good tip for dealing with people like that.

my two cents.

I always tip on takeout at my local Chinese place, they have also started giving me extra food.

I also like to throw a couple bucks in the tip jar at my local taco trucks, and Mexican restaurants (not sit down joints, just order to go). The few bucks I leave usually gets me a burrito that is like 50% bigger than normal. And they all like me now and treat me special. Its worth it sometimes.

i may be the only person who feels this way, but this is my take on tipping waiters and waitresses:

to me, it's a job i would never like to do. and the reason for it, is because i personally find it to be demeaning. i in no way want to offend anyone who performs those jobs. i have respect for anyone who gets off their asses and works for a living. but i would personally not like to spend eight hours a day waiting on people and trying to please them as much as i can simply to get a tip. for that reason, i enjoy giving them good tips, and i appreciate their service.

in other jobs that people in this thread have brought up, and why they wonder why they don't get tips, it's because those other jobs are standard. as in, the business does their job their way, and you either take it or you don't, and go someplace else. in a restaurant environment, you are expected to cater to the customer's needs in a way where you're essentially waiting on the people hand-and-foot. and you also have to deal with sometimes terrible attitudes, and are expected to accept it. we've all probably seen the unreasonable and downright angry customer who complains about their steak not being cooked to their satisfaction and causing a scene. if you deal with shit like that on a regular basis, you deserve a good tip for dealing with people like that.

my two cents.

I think people really overrate the hardship of being a server. It's not easy. But at the same time taking an order, bringing did and checking in a couple times isn't waiting in someone "hand and foot".

Bitches and assholes have to be dealt with in any customer service job. One of my first jobs was a summer job on a lake resort in the store. Sold food, camping supplies, booze, etc. People came in literally drunk and wanted to argue about the 7 cents of tax on 1 swisher sweet. They'd bring in exactly 99 cents, since that was listed price. Then tax was somehow "screwing" them. This was common.

I think people really overrate the hardship of being a server. It's not easy. But at the same time taking an order, bringing did and checking in a couple times isn't waiting in someone "hand and foot".

Bitches and assholes have to be dealt with in any customer service job. One of my first jobs was a summer job on a lake resort in the store. Sold food, camping supplies, booze, etc. People came in literally drunk and wanted to argue about the 7 cents of tax on 1 swisher sweet. They'd bring in exactly 99 cents, since that was listed price. Then tax was somehow "screwing" them. This was common.

for whatever reason, i find that people become a lot more irate when it comes to food lol. have no idea why, so that's the distinction i make. but i see your point.

For those dissing tipping, the tips give workers incentive to provide good service and care about the customers needs. The workers make more money relying on the tips than the company is actually willing to pay them. Without the tipping system, workers will not make as much and won’t give a shit about the whiny demands of annoying customers. There’s a reason that service is better at sit-down restaurants than fast-food joints.

Americans are absolutely brainwashed with this tipping bullshit.

The INCENTIVE to provide good service is to KEEP YOUR JOB! I am blown away how the restaurant business has convinced the country that this system makes sense.
Pay an additional 20% on your bill for someone to serve you at a restaurant. ...or....next time we spit in your food? Lol WTF kind of 3rd world bullshit is that?

How much a worker makes is between them and their employer.
If there was a $700 bill, why the fuck isn't the restaurant sharing that wealth with their staff?
Expecting the customer to pay waiter's wages is retarded
Why is there an extra charge to get served at a restaurant? How do you separately charge food and the food getting served to you? That makes no sense.

The INCENTIVE to provide good service is to KEEP YOUR JOB! I am blown away how the restaurant business has convinced the country that this system makes sense.

No, there’s no incentive working a highly stressful, thankless job if you’re making a low hourly. There’s easier jobs out there to do for the same crappy pay.

Pay an additional 20% on your bill for someone to serve you at a restaurant. ...or....next time we spit in your food? Lol WTF kind of 3rd world bullshit is that?

Right, because this happens all the time

How much a worker makes is between them and their employer.
If there was a $700 bill, why the fuck isn't the restaurant sharing that wealth with their staff?

You can say this about any company. There are a lot of profitable businesses that pay their employees minimum wage or close to it, yet the upper brass makes hand over fist. That’s just the way it goes.

Expecting the customer to pay waiter's wages is retarded
Why is there an extra charge to get served at a restaurant? How do you separately charge food and the food getting served to you? That makes no sense.

You’re paying for a service. Not only is it completely voluntary, you can also decide how much you want to leave. Nobody is forcing you to do it, so I don’t understand why you’re getting so indignant over something you can control. Other people are okay with tipping for their service. That’s life, dude.

How much do you tip at a pot shop? My girlfriend loves going to this one place where they call themselves budtenders and give advice if asked.

How much do you tip at buffets?

There is a popular restaurant around here that took off the tip part of the receipt for take out orders. They probably do half their business for to go orders.

I went there to pick up an order for about $450 and was going to leave a tip, but I couldn't since I didn't have cash and they couldn't accept a tip on the credit card because they changed the receipt. They didn't know how to charge just for a tip. They said don't worry about it, so I didn't worry too much but I felt I should have left something.

They said they took it off the receipt because they thought it was too aggressive way to seek tips. They had a tip jar but how many people have cash to tip?

Back