Time for Donald Cerrone to retire

1-4 in his last 5.

35 years old

45 fights on the clock + 7 (kick)boxing bouts

never going to get a belt

not improving

4 fights in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016
3 in 2017 and 2 in 2018 so far

He's been super active and the UFC has given him plenty of favourable fights and plenty of opportunities and main events. He's just not moving forward at this point in fact he is moving backwards now. He's starting to get (T)KOed more often. He's getting hit more often whatever the result of the fight in fact. Slowing down.

Cowboy has been in the UFC for over 7 years now, he's had a good run and it's time to call it a day. Either retire from MMA completely or at least move to another organisation for some $$$ fights.

these guys generally never retire. if he does opening an MMA school in a big market could be lucrative even teaching BJJ that said he has some fights in him as a high level gate keeper

I don't think he needs to retire. He still has skills and durability he is just having a hard time at ww being a bit undersized for the division and not being quite as quick as he used to be to make up for it.

TS needs to retire from making threads on sherdog

Don't know why he doesn't go back to LW.

He only lost to RDA in like 12 fights in a row or something crazy, who is now a top contender in the division he is losing in.

I think fighting guys closer to his size will give his career significantly more longevity.

Don't know why he doesn't go back to LW.

He only lost to RDA in like 12 fights in a row or something crazy, who is now a top contender in the division he is losing in.

I think fighting guys closer to his size will give his career significantly more longevity.

I think WW is far more body friendly for Cowboy at this stage of his fight career than drying down to LW...

He wasn’t famous for dominance so I think it’s ok for him to stick around and not ruin his “legacy”.

He’s a fun character to watch and I don’t remember him getting knocked out cold either.

Donald still got fight game but fighting top WW's should not be on menu for him any longer, that fight clock is ticking faster and faster...
he had a good run, before his losses in ww. He had a good fight with Lawler though. I agree top guys at this point don't make sense.

I think WW is far more body friendly for Cowboy at this stage of his fight career than drying down to LW...
No doubt the cut is easier on him at WW than LW. You're right in that that is probably the main motivator for him in staying in the division.

But he was never a guy that had issues making LW. I don't remember him ever missing weight even with all the fights hes had.

WW is easier for him to fight in, but harder for him to win in imo.

I think he should stay at ww. At lw ppl will start kicking him in the liver again. Edwards was kicking him a lot in that area and he seemed to take it well.

No doubt the cut is easier on him at WW than LW. You're right in that that is probably the main motivator for him in staying in the division.

But he was never a guy that had issues making LW. I don't remember him ever missing weight even with all the fights hes had.

WW is easier for him to fight in, but harder for him to win in imo.

A clear case ^^^ of pick your poison...

I see no reason for him to retire. He could make a good loving fighting the #20-10 ranked guys

A clear case ^^^ of pick your poison...
I'd pick that LW poison.

But I'm in no position to tell the guy with 30 Zuffa fights what his weight should be. I think if he stays at WW he will be done in 2 years whether he wants to be or not though.

@paynebringer he just likes to be different

Nothing wrong with that, I was just curious. He seems like a pretty solid poster, I just didn't know if there was a specific reason. Not that it's any of my business. Curiosity, I guess lol

He won’t retire soon, in this UFC popularity contest, he’ll always be payed more than better and better ranked fighters.

UFC is releasing the great but unpopular ones and keeping the ones selling ppv or just selling or providing to the UFC brand. Is it good? No; but it’s what the UFC is doing and heading to.

He makes 155k just to show and 310k if he wins. Plus all that Reebok dough. He’s probably fine with doing that a few times a year for a couple more years.

And you have to add to that all the sponsors he got when he’s not fighting, and all the incomes he has by just being him, a famous UFC personality.

1-4 in his last 5.

35 years old

45 fights on the clock + 7 (kick)boxing bouts

never going to get a belt

not improving

4 fights in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016
3 in 2017 and 2 in 2018 so far

He's been super active and the UFC has given him plenty of favourable fights and plenty of opportunities and main events. He's just not moving forward at this point in fact he is moving backwards now. He's starting to get (T)KOed more often. He's getting hit more often whatever the result of the fight in fact. Slowing down.

Cowboy has been in the UFC for over 7 years now, he's had a good run and it's time to call it a day. Either retire from MMA completely or at least move to another organisation for some $$$ fights.

019_Donald_Cerrone.0.0.jpg

There will always be room in the UFC for fighters that want to fight, regardless of belts.

Back