Time for Donald Cerrone to retire

At Weigh ins the 170 guys dont look bigger than cowboy but they hydrate way bigger.

maxresdefault.jpg

Cowboy is probably cutting around ten pounds to hit welterweight. Till and Edwards are hydrating way past him by fight night.

He's still a draw and still gives good interview. He's still popular all around the world. Maybe time to put him against lower-ranked fighters. He won't mind. Cowboy vs. Alan Jouban, for example. How fun is that?

That's the best argument for him to carry on tbh.

He's still a draw and still gives good interview. He's still popular all around the world. Maybe time to put him against lower-ranked fighters. He won't mind. Cowboy vs. Alan Jouban, for example. How fun is that?

Jouban is a dangerous fight for him. I'll take Jouban, I think he can finish Cerrone

He's going to fight as long as he possibly can because he spends his money like an idiot, he admitted that he basically lives paycheque to paycheque

I don’t think I lost any stock. I love my job more than any of you can ever imagine. I love getting in there and fighting, so winning and losing is part of this game. Of course it sucks. I only got half my check, but hey, I had fun. I really did. I had a good time.

He went out there and got the unanimous decision, five rounds, good for him,” Cerrone said. “Congratulations. I’m still looking to fight two more times this year, so if there’s anybody out there looking to fight ‘Cowboy,’ the old dog, give me a call and we can set this up.

I’m going to go until UFC says, ”’Cowboy,’ enough, bro. Enough, enough, enough,’” Cerrone said. “(I want to fight) at least five more years, definitely. At least. Until the UFC says, ‘No more.’

//

I see more of this

cowboy.jpg

in Donald's future.

No, I have seen over the years that fans have this obsession with trying to be the "one" to publicly state a fighter should retire, like they should have any say in this whatsoever. While I might agree that the game has passed some of those fighters you mentioned by, I don't know how it's ever our place to call for them to pack it in and move on with their lives.

It's rarely out of concern for a fighter's well-being, and instead feels more like they want to be the first one to say it and then if that fighter does retire, then what? They say they're right and celebrate? This is a fighter's livelihood, many fighters that retire have little else after it's all over. If we are simultaneously obsessed with fighter pay, shouldn't we be rooting for longtime fighters to cash in on more paydays while they still can? Cowboy makes about $300k a fight I think, and he also owns and operates a ranch to host fighters at his own expense to give them life skills and training. The longer he fights, the more he can contribute to the community, so I say he should keep doing it as long as he wants.

I don't speak for other posters here, but personally when I say a certain fighter should retire, I'm just stating an opinion and usually because it is out of concern. I agree with you that it's of course their decision when they retire, they have dedicated their entire lives to develop a skill and risk their health doing what they're passionate about. But sometimes that passion is so strong they sometimes overlook their own well being or just choose fighting over it.

As for Cowboy, I personally don't think he should retire yet. He is still very competent and like you mentioned, is making really good money. Same goes with Overeem and Mark hunt who makes even more at around 750k if I'm not mistaken who have been in the sport longer than Cowboy has, I think.

But there are fighters out there that are so far from their prime and are taking so much unnecessary damage not because of skill disparity but because they are just unable to fight competitively from the mileage they have on their bodies that I just can't help but speak my mind. Diego and Penn are prime, prime examples of someone who really needs to retire and I can't help but talk about it. It's not enjoyable for me to watch them fight, knowing that they are a shell of their former selves. It's unsettling watching someone fight and perform noticeably and significantly worse than a few years ago. Watching them take shots they could have avoided easily, watching them miss shots they could have landed, watching them just move stiffer and slower is really disturbing and sad.

Back