Time for Donald Cerrone to retire

It’s time for TS to retire from sherdog. He’s become an unentertaining, mentally challenged troll.

At Weigh ins the 170 guys dont look bigger than cowboy but they hydrate way bigger.

maxresdefault.jpg
yeah i thought wonderboy was a big welter but till was a fucken light heavyweight in there against him

Why do posters feel the need to claim loudly that a fighter needs to retire? Why can't a fighter retire on their own terms? He himself said he's got a lot left in the tank, he even said that after the bloody fight. I think he's the guy who would know whether it's quitting time or not.

Sometimes, it from genuine concern. Most fighters have a hard time retiring, and sometimes have a harder time telling their time as a competent fighter is up. Rashad, BJ and Diego were all very competent fighters, two of the mentioned fighters were the very best at their division at one point. But the game has passed them by, yet they refuse to accept and still try to fight.

That, or your post is sarcastic and I completely missed it.

He's also fighting guys 10-15lbs bigger, and he's never been one to like pressure.

Only fight where he lost to a guy of similar size is Masvidal at 70.

The rest are up and coming kids who damn well bullied him with size and pressure.

He needs a 160 division.
I remember when cerrone thought about moving down to 145 lol, and Cole Miller called him out, some shit like that.

First of all and I've been saying this FOREVER- Cerrone is a 155er, he has no business at welter and whoever convinced him when he started off well at the class, should share some blame in the sudden regression in career (including DFW- he could give 2 shits about Cerrone as long as he's a company man and putting on exciting fights).
People who actually have Cerrone's best intentions should have told him after 1st 170 drubbing that he should go back to 155 where ,at least, he'd continue to be a fixture in division s top 10-12 and not fight guys bigger and better.I mean look what guys like Diax and Pettis did to him as a lightweight. What- he's now going to ascend a weight class and all of a sudden become a world beater.??

Look at his current situation. As far as contract negotiations go , he's teetering on 1 leg....and something is wrong with that concerning a guy who always accepts and rarely declined.If I'm a Cerrone supporter, I'd be pretty pissed on his behalf.

1-4 in his last 5.

35 years old

45 fights on the clock + 7 (kick)boxing bouts

never going to get a belt

not improving

4 fights in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016
3 in 2017 and 2 in 2018 so far

He's been super active and the UFC has given him plenty of favourable fights and plenty of opportunities and main events. He's just not moving forward at this point in fact he is moving backwards now. He's starting to get (T)KOed more often. He's getting hit more often whatever the result of the fight in fact. Slowing down.

Cowboy has been in the UFC for over 7 years now, he's had a good run and it's time to call it a day. Either retire from MMA completely or at least move to another organisation for some $$$ fights.

019_Donald_Cerrone.0.0.jpg
He won’t. He loves it. It’s not about winning for him.

He's also fighting guys 10-15lbs bigger, and he's never been one to like pressure.

The rest are up and coming kids who damn well bullied him with size and pressure.

He needs a 160 division.

Guys like him and Kevin Lee are tweeners, 165 division makes sense for fighters too big for 155 and too small for 170

damn, didnt notice that in fight much at all, cowboy looked thick

Serious? While the size difference wasnt glaringly apparent with Cowboy and Till, there was an obvious size discrepancy with Edwards as well.

Last edited:
The UFC needs him now more than ever, he's a great name for younger fighters to build off. Like Diego Sanchez, Ellenberger, even Mark Hunt has become one of those names.

Sometimes, it from genuine concern. Most fighters have a hard time retiring, and sometimes have a harder time telling their time as a competent fighter is up. Rashad, BJ and Diego were all very competent fighters, two of the mentioned fighters were the very best at their division at one point. But the game has passed them by, yet they refuse to accept and still try to fight.

That, or your post is sarcastic and I completely missed it.
No, I have seen over the years that fans have this obsession with trying to be the "one" to publicly state a fighter should retire, like they should have any say in this whatsoever. While I might agree that the game has passed some of those fighters you mentioned by, I don't know how it's ever our place to call for them to pack it in and move on with their lives.

It's rarely out of concern for a fighter's well-being, and instead feels more like they want to be the first one to say it and then if that fighter does retire, then what? They say they're right and celebrate? This is a fighter's livelihood, many fighters that retire have little else after it's all over. If we are simultaneously obsessed with fighter pay, shouldn't we be rooting for longtime fighters to cash in on more paydays while they still can? Cowboy makes about $300k a fight I think, and he also owns and operates a ranch to host fighters at his own expense to give them life skills and training. The longer he fights, the more he can contribute to the community, so I say he should keep doing it as long as he wants.

He needs a 160 division.
Adding divisions is for cowards.

Why does Sherdog want everyone over 30 that loses a fight to retire?

Its not so much that as when they correlate the amount of fights to the losing skid a fighter suffers.

Why do posters feel the need to claim loudly that a fighter needs to retire? Why can't a fighter retire on their own terms? He himself said he's got a lot left in the tank, he even said that after the bloody fight. I think he's the guy who would know whether it's quitting time or not.

I'm sympathetic to your point but you have to admit fighters don't always know when it's time to retire, especially those who enjoyed great success in the past.

Serious? While the size difference wasnt glaringly stark difference with Cowboy and Till, there was an obvious size discrepancy with Edwards as well.
fuck knows what i was seeing, was 2am on a 12 hour nightshift though

He makes 155k just to show and 310k if he wins. Plus all that Reebok dough. He’s probably fine with doing that a few times a year for a couple more years.

He should. But sadly he wont. Loves them pay cheques and loves spending them even more. He will be a drooling mess if someone doesnt stop in a not give him fights.

Back