Three Weeks Until 1.5 Mile Test...Tips?

Sorry for the wait. Update:

Test was delayed a few weeks. Felt great, gave me more time to prepare, was getting good times. Then my leg started hurting really bad.

My blood clots ended up coming back with a vengeance, and started traveling up my body. They almost broke off to my lungs. Back on blood thinners, but can barely walk right now. And the department doesn't like the risk.

I absolutely refuse to go on disability, so I will not be able to continue employment with the police department right now. I have already received job offers elsewhere, so there will be a smooth transition.

I'm also hoping to get into the local IBEW union, and I'll try to get on there.

My police career doesn't have to be over, it's just a temporary setback. If anything, more motivation to lose tons of weight. For now, all I can do is move on.

I got myself into this mess, I'll get myself out.

Test was delayed a few weeks. Felt great, gave me more time to prepare, was getting good times. Then my leg started hurting really bad.

My blood clots ended up coming back with a vengeance, and started traveling up my body. They almost broke off to my lungs. Back on blood thinners, but can barely walk right now. And the department doesn't like the risk.

I absolutely refuse to go on disability, so I will not be able to continue employment with the police department right now. I have already received job offers elsewhere, so there will be a smooth transition.

My police career doesn't have to be over, it's just a temporary setback. If anything, more motivation to lose tons of weight. For now, all I can do is move on.

Christ man. Did you resign in lieu of termination?

<6>

Damn dude....lol.

Honestly though, sorry your career took a nose dive and I hope you get your health back but it's good to see law enforcement agencies enforcing some sort of standard.

Last edited:
Damn that's a rough L to take rooting for you Sherbro good Luck

Honestly man, it's better it happened this way rather than you have a heart attack trying to chase down a suspect.

Try to take it as a learning experience and come back ready next time.

Hope you get well soon. You can make a comeback from this - focus, determination and putting in the work.

Best of luck.

Roller coaster of a thread.

and why did you discontinue your anticoagulation in the first place? and how did you know that your dramatic Return to Clotting was upon you? what were the specific symptoms? and what is your clotting disorder called? (you can look one up if need be_

but there's always this simple moral to the story: keep taking your fucking VKA. it appears as though your adherence discipline to meds for a life threatening condition is as good as your adherence discipline to exercise.

when it comes down to it, if it smells like horseshit, it probably is...

and why did you discontinue your anticoagulation in the first place? and how did you know that your dramatic Return to Clotting was upon you? what were the specific symptoms? and what is your clotting disorder called? (you can look one up if need be_

but there's always this simple moral to the story: keep taking your fucking VKA. it appears as though your adherence discipline to meds for a life threatening condition is as good as your adherence discipline to exercise.

when it comes down to it, if it smells like horseshit, it probably is...
Woah, assumption much? My hematologist took me off of it (Xarelto). I knew because blood clots hurt, and I know the pain, among other things, like swelling and redness. Not sure what you're implying. Factor II. They gave me Coumadin in the ER, stomach injection, 5mg. When I was discharged the next night, was on 15mg x 2 for thirty days, 20mg x 1 after that.

Woah, assumption much? My hematologist took me off of it (Xarelto). I knew because blood clots hurt, and I know the pain, among other things, like swelling and redness. Not sure what you're implying. Factor II. They gave me Coumadin in the ER, stomach injection, 5mg. When I was discharged the next night, was on 15mg x 2 for thirty days, 20mg x 1 after that.

it's funny cuz you don't see all the contradictions in this. (obesity is a risk factor with thrombophilic conditions, too - behavioral adherence, too!)

lemme guess - you lied and didn't tell your employeers this relevant medical fact. and maybe check on a new HEM. if your clots are as common as you claim, why the hell did you w/d it? and also in a potential full contact job, an AC that doesn't have reversal?

so yes, maybe I'm assuming too much. Regardles, the BS o meter is still going on there.

rack me. out.

it's funny cuz you don't see all the contradictions in this. (obesity is a risk factor with thrombophilic conditions, too - behavioral adherence, too!)

lemme guess - you lied and didn't tell your employeers this relevant medical fact. and maybe check on a new HEM. if your clots are as common as you claim, why the hell did you w/d it? and also in a potential full contact job, an AC that doesn't have reversal?

so yes, maybe I'm assuming too much. Regardles, the BS o meter is still going on there.

rack me. out.
I'd rather take the risk of non reversal than have to get stomach injections daily or weekly blood tests and doctor visits.

Well I'm not a big fatty and I've been trying to get my 1.5 down below 11 minutes. I have a tryout for pre-selection for BORTAC on Wednesday and have to be under 11:30 for that (I've got a good cushion right now). But the guys say that to pass selection (in October) I probably want to be under 10.

I ran a 10:37 on Sunday but that felt about as fast as I can go. Tips for training this besides just doing as many 1.5s as possible?

Well I'm not a big fatty and I've been trying to get my 1.5 down below 11 minutes. I have a tryout for pre-selection for BORTAC on Wednesday and have to be under 11:30 for that (I've got a good cushion right now). But the guys say that to pass selection (in October) I probably want to be under 10.

I ran a 10:37 on Sunday but that felt about as fast as I can go. Tips for training this besides just doing as many 1.5s as possible?
If you have extra weight, drop it.
Keep getting in your running. Don't overtrain though.
Do mobility and prehab rehab work.
work on your core.

The 1.5 is primarily aerobic. 80% of your training should be long easy miles (think aerobic base building) tapering off to a few blocks of speed/tempo work right before the test.

good luck buddy. I took the police test 20 yrs ago and we had to do 1.5 in 12 minutes. definitely doable. try slow long runs then opposite days do sprints . if you've never really run before you can use the treadmill to workout your pace to get under 14 minutes.

good luck buddy. I took the police test 20 yrs ago and we had to do 1.5 in 12 minutes. definitely doable. try slow long runs then opposite days do sprints . if you've never really run before you can use the treadmill to workout your pace to get under 14 minutes.

I take it you skimmed over the part where after years of neglect TS' s health went into a tailspin under the pressure of his new exercise program , forcing him to resign from the police force and he has switched gears completely and is now trying to become an electrician.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back