Three Weeks Until 1.5 Mile Test...Tips?

Also, going to start doing situps every night as well, to improve low back/RA strength, and try to prevent cramping (along with stretching hamstrings and hip flexors, just to be safe).

Skip everything other than cardio.
A 14 minute 1.5 is really just a consistent jog. Once in the morning once in the afternoon, six days a week up until two days before. Minimum 8 hours sleep per night, no coffee, no alcohol, drink nothing but water and eat clean.

Curious, how tall are you?

It is a good point though. The elliptical is a lot easier on the body and it's still cardio. Crank that sombitch up and go at it. The dude needs to get cardio work in, he needs to sweat and do it every day and doing that or even like swimming will be WAY easier on his body than running.
One of my buddies uses the eliptical cranked to max resistance, he says its like wading through mud.

Skip everything other than cardio.
A 14 minute 1.5 is really just a consistent jog. Once in the morning once in the afternoon, six days a week up until two days before. Minimum 8 hours sleep per night, no coffee, no alcohol, drink nothing but water and eat clean.

Curious, how tall are you?
5'11"

Can't really run in afternoon. I work afternoon shift.

5'11"

Can't really run in afternoon. I work afternoon shift.
then run after work. Your a copper, you must have access to a gym, use the tread mill, set it to a 2-3% incline and set it to 6.7mph, do it for 15 minutes and that's what you need to achieve.

No gym? pick a street, reset the trip meter in your car and go 1.5 miles, there's your finish line. If possible run on the road, asphalt is way more forgiving on your joints than a concrete sidewalk.

Fill your ipod with Pantera songs and you're a lock.

then run after work. Your a copper, you must have access to a gym, use the tread mill, set it to a 2-3% incline and set it to 6.7mph, do it for 15 minutes and that's what you need to achieve.

No gym? pick a street, reset the trip meter in your car and go 1.5 miles, there's your finish line. If possible run on the road, asphalt is way more forgiving on your joints than a concrete sidewalk.

Fill your ipod with Pantera songs and you're a lock.
Oh, I'm definitely running after work. However, you lost me at Pantera. Think you misspelled Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Oh, I'm definitely running after work. However, you lost me at Pantera. Think you misspelled Lynyrd Skynyrd.
At least you got the confederate flag part right.
lynyrd-skynyrd-greatest-hits-85-cover-art-32117.jpeg

pantera-girl-south-fabric-poster-51848(13).jpg

Really out of shape, didn't know this test was coming. Need to get it in about 14 minutes. Never been a great runner, and currently weigh 285.

With a 1k calorie deficit, and switching to keto, I should be able to drop to 275 by that time.

I know I obviously need to run and workout, but not sure where to start. Couch To 5k?
Three weeks isn't much time to get in shape

I know it's not much time, but there's nothing I can do about it now except work my butt off. While I plan to succeed, if I don't, all I can do is keep getting better and kill it next time and every time after that.

For a while I was, but I'm not even afraid to fail anymore. All I can do is run as fast as I can. I want to not just get in good enough shape (as if that's even possible), but elite shape. My ultimate goal is to transfer to a bigger department and join their SWAT team in a few years' time. That will require being in immaculate shape and doing things I don't normally do.

Don't run as fast as you can on the day...you will burn out and crumble!

As someone who can run 1.5 miles under 10 (Know people who can do in around 7:30 so not trying to brag)

It comes down to a number of things
- Diet...3 weeks of incredibly strict dieting to drop as much weight as possible as you could shift 15-20lbs

Training i would be looking at 6 days a week with a mixture of longer runs of 3ish miles, some shorter hard efforts but also you want to learn what it feels like running at the pace you are required so go out and try and do 5 minutes at the required pace then a few days later up that to 6,7 etc.

Have you tried it currently to see what you are able to do?

5'11

280+lb

Completely out of shape

Cop

.......dude.

How fast can you do 1.5 miles right now???

I think it's probably a lost cause, even if you somehow squeeze by you're still more or less unfit for duty. Seems like rather than appreciating your job and respecting the community you stuffed your fucking face and made excuses.

Good luck getting in shape but I hope you don't have to do any "cop stuff" until your actually fit for duty.

Sorry to be a dick but as somebody who has tonpass fitness tests for work, I just can't comprehend the mindset of somebody who would let themselves balloon out like that...I mean you're talking about wanting to lose close to 100lbs for fuck sakes....that's not a little out of shape....that's just pure gluttony.

You're lucky you don't have to to a pull-up test.

Anyways....my best advice is train as much as you can but that's not going to be very much, running dosent work well for people like you. Your best bet is to probably just say fuck it and be willing to train through injury or possibly injure yourself during the test.

5'11

280+lb

Completely out of shape

Cop

.......dude.

I think it's probably a lost cause, even if you somehow squeeze by you're still more or less unfit for duty. Seems like rather than appreciating your job and respecting the community you stuffed your fucking face and made excuses.

Good luck getting in shape but I hope you don't have to do any "cop stuff" until your actually fit for duty.

Sorry to be a dick but as somebody who has tonpass fitness tests for work, I just can't comprehend the mindset of somebody who would let themselves balloon out like that...I mean you're talking about wanting to lose close to 100lbs for fuck sakes....that's not a little out of shape....that's just pure gluttony.

Anyways....my best advice is train as much as you can but that's not going to be very much, running dosent work well for people like you. Your best bet is to probably just say fuck it and be willing to train through injury or possibly injure yourself during the test.
Hey, you can hate all you want. The past is the past. I can't change it, only improve now. And I am.

Hey, you can hate all you want. The past is the past. I can't change it, only improve now. And I am.
You've been asked a half dozen times now how fast you're currently covering 1.5 miles. Are you going to answer?

You've been asked a half dozen times now how fast you're currently covering 1.5 miles. Are you going to answer?
Well, I don't know. My training has been either LISS or HIIT. I never run exactly 1.5 miles.

But I'd say around 14 or 15.

Well, I don't know. My training has been either LISS or HIIT. I never run exactly 1.5 miles.

Keep at it brother. I'm in a similar situation, I've got testing in less than two weeks for a promotion and they switched up how they're testing us with virtually no notice. It went from a more practical, with emphasis on skills and strength to cardio, cardio, cardio. So my life is running right now. I hate running.

Oh cool...good. So you still have no way to measure where you're at vs where you need to be. Sound like a solid plan....:NOT!!!

Oh cool...good. So you still have no way to measure where you're at vs where you need to be. Sound like a solid plan....:NOT!!!
Or...maybe I'm not trying to train for just the minimum. Running 1.5 miles every day isn't necessarily the way to go. There are multiple areas where I need as quick of improvement as I can get.

Until the test is over QUIT lifting. You need to recover from all of the cardio work. Running beats the legs up. Instead of lifting do some low impact cardio, bike, rower, stairmaster...... If you absolutely have to lift do pull-ups and push-ups.

5'11

280+lb

Completely out of shape

Cop

.......dude.

Agree

Lol. You know the system is fucked when they allow people like TS do be a cop.
Its not his fault though, and honestly you guys shouldnt blame him, its the police systems fault.

But in reality I dont think I would have a problem with an obese cop if I lived in a super good area.

Back