Three Weeks Until 1.5 Mile Test...Tips?

Thread was made two weeks ago, so I assume the test is one week away. Progress, TS?

Thread was made two weeks ago, so I assume the test is one week away. Progress, TS?

He's gained 10 pounds.

All the stress of not being able to run 1.5 miles in 14 minutes has made tubs of ice cream irresistible.

Good luck man. I'm rooting for you.

You can do it!

Here's what I did.

Do you have an indoor track anywhere? We did and I ran fartleks for a half-hour after 30 minutes on the elliptical everyday except Sat/Sun. A fartlek works best on a shorter track or the inside lane.

Run one lap (and I mean run like blazes) for one lap.
Walk the next.
Repeat for 30 mins.

You must stretch and get a hot shower for cooldown, it'll help with the lactic acid buildup. I also went low-carb for six months and the pounds freakin' vanished.

Good luck man. I'm rooting for you.

You can do it!

Here's what I did.

Do you have an indoor track anywhere? We did and I ran fartleks for a half-hour after 30 minutes on the elliptical everyday except Sat/Sun. A fartlek works best on a shorter track or the inside lane.

Run one lap (and I mean run like blazes) for one lap.
Walk the next.
Repeat for 30 mins.

You must stretch and get a hot shower for cooldown, it'll help with the lactic acid buildup. I also went low-carb for six months and the pounds freakin' vanished.
You realized he's going to have to do six months of low carb in one week now, right?

You realized he's going to have to do six months of low carb in one week now, right?

Actually you start seeing results at around two weeks. IF he sticks to it hardcore. I'm talking ZERO bread, ZERO candy, a gallon of cold water (your body burns more fat when it's cold) a day, if he likes tea or whatever I'm talking Splenda or Stevia to sweeten it. If you like soda, get diet soda with Splenda already in it.

If you want lunch, grab a burger with EVERTHING. Just a burger and A diet drink. Toss the bun in the trash.

If you want a snack, grab some jerky.

Actually you start seeing results at around two weeks. IF he sticks to it hardcore. I'm talking ZERO bread, ZERO candy, a gallon of cold water (your body burns more fat when it's cold) a day, if he likes tea or whatever I'm talking Splenda or Stevia to sweeten it. If you like soda, get diet soda with Splenda already in it.

If you want lunch, grab a burger with EVERTHING. Just a burger and A diet drink. Toss the bun in the trash.

If you want a snack, grab some jerky.
Right, so he'll just start seeing results at around a week after it's too late...

Right, so he'll just start seeing results at around a week after it's too late...

Well, there's crash methods out there but I don't recommend them. I was talking more of a lifestyle change.

Well, there's crash methods out there but I don't recommend them. I was talking more of a lifestyle change.
I'd suggest a lifestyle change for you that includes reading threads you post in.

Well if TS says he's already at 14-15 min for a 1.5 mile run I'd suggest he try a test run and post his results here.

I hope he fails and loses his job.

Then the PD can replace him with somebody who will take their job seriously.

too late for my advice now, but it would have been to start with two or three sets of 600m in the mornings followed immediately by HIIT ab and upper body exercises (high reps), and a 1km gentle jog/fast walk in the evenings for recovery, then build up the morning distance from there, e.g. make the first run 1km after 3-5 days. By the third week you want to be running 2km at a faster pace than you need for 2.4km/1.5miles and with some room for more, then on race day just go for it. Start fast and grit your teeth to the end, it is better to slow down a little than mess up by going to slow early on.

I hope he fails and loses his job.

Then the PD can replace him with somebody who will take their job seriously.
Or maybe it was just the wake-up call that I needed to rejuvinate my body and life. Doing pretty well. Lost a couple of kgs, and being diligent on my runs. Definitely more of a night runner, but that needs to change. I'm looking to be an early-morning runner (I already wake up at like 6am without an alarm anyways).

But I don't just want to keep my job. It's more than that. Not only do I want to do that, and lose the weight, and get back in excellent shape (along with getting my abs back), but I want to get into EXCELLENT shape. I never want to have this problem again. I promise you, the next surprise PT test I have, I'll rank near the top.

Hold yourself to that, bub!

Keep a training log here like many of us do.

Hold yourself to that, bub!

Keep a training log here like many of us do.
I just may. Also decided that I'm going to be doing more calisthenics than lifting for a while. DEFINITELY not forever (how could I ever replace the greatest pump known to man?), but until I get a solid grasp on bodyweight work.

Really out of shape, didn't know this test was coming. Need to get it in about 14 minutes. Never been a great runner, and currently weigh 285.

With a 1k calorie deficit, and switching to keto, I should be able to drop to 275 by that time.

I know I obviously need to run and workout, but not sure where to start. Couch To 5k?
Run a lap. Walk a lap. Sack up. It's all mental.

As a fellow cop in glad you're getting back in shape. It will improve all of your work.

As others have said do some sprint work and HIIT. Maybe swim too if you have a pool handy.

Are you working patrol?

Use the test as a wake up call and be glad it didn't come in the form of a failure in the field due to fitness level. Fighting a tweaker for an extended period could have been a very bad wake up call.

Well, TS made this "Three weeks until running test" thread six weeks ago as of tomorrow, so since he hasn't updated us I'm assuming he failed and lost his job and is currently holding a "Will work for Food" cardboard sign at the intersection of First and Main, or that he ran so hard he dieded.

edit -- Never mind, @PCP319 has been seen posting in the War Room as recently as yesterday, so he's very likely alive.

Well, TS made this "Three weeks until running test" thread six weeks ago as of tomorrow, so since he hasn't updated us I'm assuming he failed and lost his job and is currently holding a "Will work for Food" cardboard sign at the intersection of First and Main, or that he ran so hard he dieded.

edit -- Never mind, @PCP319 has been seen posting in the War Room as recently as yesterday, so he's very likely alive.
It's a lot of work for him, could be too gassed still to make it here.

Back