Three Weeks Until 1.5 Mile Test...Tips?

PCP319

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Really out of shape, didn't know this test was coming. Need to get it in about 14 minutes. Never been a great runner, and currently weigh 285.

With a 1k calorie deficit, and switching to keto, I should be able to drop to 275 by that time.

I know I obviously need to run and workout, but not sure where to start. Couch To 5k?

Very important test. My career depends on it

Your job just randomly sprung a run test on you?

Couch to 5k accelerated? Also what Dan said

Couch to 5k accelerated? Also what Dan said
I just fear it'd be too much for me. The problem I was having on my last test (besides poor cardio) was low back cramping. Kicks in after two laps or so.

it always surprises me how unfit officers get once they get hired. Then they complain that they have to pass fitness tests. I've tested officers who want to go on UN missions abroad and I've also tested Firefighters. A lot of them can't complete the tasks first time out.

it always surprises me how unfit officers get once they get hired. Then they complain that they have to pass fitness tests. I've tested officers who want to go on UN missions abroad and I've also tested Firefighters. A lot of them can't complete the tasks first time out.
To be fair, I'm coming off of knee surgery. Any other time, I'm running and lifting 3x/week each.

The biggest thing for me will be weight loss. Came in at 296, want to get back down to 205.

1.5 mi in 14 minutes is very achievable. just go out and run. try to get a good stride even if it tires you out. if you run with a good stride for 1.5mi, you will be well under 14 minutes.

Yikes.

Well, the first thing that needs to go is any self-pity, if I'm reading any out of what you've posted. It would be nice to hear you commit to doing what it takes to pass this test.

Then you need to get some running volume in, quickly. It would be best to do two sessions a day of 1.5 miles, run-walk or however you can get them done, and time them. Report back in this thread every time. You need to be accountable. That's something we can read out of the context -- unless you're 6'11" tall or a pro bodybuilder, you're obese. And that means you haven't been accountable to yourself or your employer, and it's now resulted in a crisis.

But first things first:

1. Commit to making this goal -- passing this test.
2. Get out and run (or run/walk) 1.5 miles today. Today. Today. And report back with your time.
3. Tomorrow you will do the run again, twice. And every day until the test.
4. You will pass the test in two weeks.

Then we can work on getting your body in standards. It's not going to happen in two weeks.

Is this doable or not? I think there are openings for parking lot attendants that don't require a fitness test, so you have alternatives...

Yikes.

Well, the first thing that needs to go is any self-pity, if I'm reading any out of what you've posted. It would be nice to hear you commit to doing what it takes to pass this test.

Then you need to get some running volume in, quickly. It would be best to do two sessions a day of 1.5 miles, run-walk or however you can get them done, and time them. Report back in this thread every time. You need to be accountable. That's something we can read out of the context -- unless you're 6'11" tall or a pro bodybuilder, you're obese. And that means you haven't been accountable to yourself or your employer, and it's now resulted in a crisis.

But first things first:

2. Get out and run (or run/walk) 1.5 miles today. Today. Today. And report back with your time.

Then we can work on getting your body in standards. It's not going to happen in two weeks.

Is this doable or not? I think there are openings for parking lot attendants that don't require a fitness test, so you have alternatives...
Oh, I definitely don't have any self pity. I did this to myself, but all I can do now is just work my butt off to get back to where I should be.

I'll definitely start running probably every day Monday through Friday. Might need weekends to recover (as a fatass, don't want to kill my joints before the text).

Yikes.

But first things first:

giphy.gif

To be fair, I'm coming off of knee surgery. Any other time, I'm running and lifting 3x/week each.

The biggest thing for me will be weight loss. Came in at 296, want to get back down to 205.
That's cool. There's some work to be done here, but nothing that isn't obtainable. People are giving you some solid advices here.

My problem is running the whole distance consecutively. My ankles kill me because I'm fat for now.

Oh, I definitely don't have any self pity. I did this to myself, but all I can do now is just work my butt off to get back to where I should be.

I'll definitely start running probably every day Monday through Friday. Might need weekends to recover (as a fatass, don't want to kill my joints before the text).

Ah, I can sympathize -- I'm prone to shinsplints, track roadwork every spring was a bitch. Do you have access to a rubber track or some surface that's a little more forgiving than asphalt?

Honestly if you have to buy $10 day passes to get into the "nice gym" to save your job, it's probably worth it.

Doesn't surprise me because a lot of older, fatter vets, get tasked with young studs who they make do all the work. Also, long hours sitting. All that over time, stress, sitting in a squad car, sitting in the office doing fucking paperwork... don't miss it.

TS, good luck, but you are grossly out of shape. I mean no disrespect in that regard, thank you for your service as well, but you need to get out there and put in work... extra work, not just running. You need to cut sugars and get that discipline going.

Ah, I can sympathize -- I'm prone to shinsplints, track roadwork every spring was a bitch. Do you have access to a rubber track or some surface that's a little more forgiving than asphalt?
I could use a track twice per week.

I could use a track twice per week.
The rest of the runs will have to be on the street then. I'm telling you man, you need the volume. Running endurance responds to every day, consistent work. 1.5 miles is going to be tough for you, but it's not enough that you need to rest days in between runs. Nor do you have the luxury of time to stretch out your training. You need to get out and run, run, run. Walk/run, whatever, but 14 minutes is a jogging pace.

You'll need to stretch and massage and all that as well. Make time for it.

We did 1.5 miles for fitness test twice a year. I used to say I ran three miles.... a year. The only time I ran was for the test, and I made it in 11:17 at my fastest and 12:38 at my slowest, ten years so that's 20 runs. But I stayed within weight standards and was otherwise active, whether it was grappling or lifting or both. I've worked with a friend who was out of shape, and he made the run in time. We just had to have him suffer. It was worthwhile, he saved his career. One run in training, he threw up and kept running. Pathetic, but I was proud of him for sticking with the run because we were timing it.

Time your runs. You need to know where you stand. This is doable.

I hope this insane volume compated into 2 weeks doesnt give you terrible shin splints or an actual stress fracture. at your weight its a real concern

I hope this insane volume compated into 2 weeks doesnt give you terrible shin splints or an actual stress fracture. at your weight its a real concern
Three miles a day run/walk... "Insane volume?" That's a little dramatic.

Back