The Shining or The Thing?

Pick 1

• Total voters
There's a reason a film like Room 237 exists for The Shining but not for The Thing.

On that note, Rob Ager has done some analysis on The Thing on Youtube, if you're looking for that kind of thing. I think he's also put together the best stuff on The Shining, so much so that Room 237 felt kind of silly in comparison, in my opinion. He was asked to be in Room 237 but declined. I'd say Ager gets a bit out there himself at times but he's fun to watch and I think his stuff typically has more substance than Room 237.

I love both The Thing and The Shining, but I vote for The Thing and count it amongst my very favourites. It's a real shame that film flopped when it came out. John Carpenter seems bitter about it in every interview. He seems to see that film as a failure, and yet so many people love it.

On that note, Rob Ager has done some analysis on The Thing on Youtube, if you're looking for that kind of thing. I think he's also put together the best stuff on The Shining, so much so that Room 237 felt kind of silly in comparison, in my opinion. He was asked to be in Room 237 but declined. I'd say Ager gets a bit out there himself at times but he's fun to watch and I think his stuff typically has more substance than Room 237.

I love both The Thing and The Shining, but I vote for The Thing and count it amongst my very favourites. It's a real shame that film flopped when it came out. John Carpenter seems bitter about it in every interview. He seems to see that film as a failure, and yet so many people love it.

Well with the cult following actually Carpenter has come to appreciate it years later. Funny on how old the film is but the special effects are still amazing. Story and lighting are on point. Characters are believable and you can see them slowly losing hope in their eyes.

Thanks. I'm not familiar with Ager but I'll check him out.

Regarding Room 237, for me the moon guy alone makes it worth a watch. Though I think it's an entertaining film as a whole.

I haven't returned to my local movie rental place since I went in and asked for The Thing and they only had the 2011 version.

Eh not really a shining fan. Kubrick took the source material and just made the movie he wanted to make. Thing holds up better, and is more my kind of story. Using a monster or situation to bring out certain aspects of human nature, and make those the star of the story.

It may be. I've never read the book, or any King books for that matter. But I've been meaning to for awhile.

I bet you'd like them, based on the discussion over the thing. He's a great writer, really underrated.

I'm inclined to agree with you.

The Thing is a fine film, but it doesn't drill a hole into your psyche and fuck with your mind the way The Shining does. There's a reason a film like Room 237 exists for The Shining but not for The Thing.

Much like with 2001, with The Shining Kubrick doesn't just come right now and explain himself and explain what he means with the movie. While some people probably find that frustrating--and some might even call it poor filmmaking--for me it just makes the movie even more fascinating.

I'm surprised to see The Thing winning in the poll, especially by such a wide margin.

Seriously? The Thing is a huge inspiration for the entire genre of body horror movies that followed it.

I haven't returned to my local movie rental place since I went in and asked for The Thing and they only had the 2011 version.

You should've been like

1388822627632%20%281%29.jpg

I love both, but went with the thing.

I bet you'd like them, based on the discussion over the thing. He's a great writer, really underrated.

I read a pretty good bit and I've had a King book for awhile and never got around to reading it. Iirc it's Dreamscapes & Nightmares or something like that. No clue if that's one of his better works or not. But I seriously need to get around to reading at least something of his. He's one of the most popular authors of the 20th century and I've still never read 1 word of his. Which is weird because I love that genre. I have Edgar Allan Poe's entire works in 1 book, and I've read a lot of that. Just no King.

Seriously? The Thing is a huge inspiration for the entire genre of body horror movies that followed it.

I'll put it this way:

When I first watched The Thing, when it was over I was like, "Okay, great, good movie. Lots of fun. Moving on now."

But when I watched The Shining, it lingered with me. It lodged itself into my mind. For several days I pondered it and talked to people about it.

Rob Ager is great

Shame he charges for most of his stuff

But yeah he is a great youtuber @shadow_priest_x

I'll put it this way:

When I first watched The Thing, when it was over I was like, "Okay, great, good movie. Lots of fun. Moving on now."

But when I watched The Shining, it lingered with me. It lodged itself into my mind. For several days I pondered it and talked to people about it.

The Shining had the same effect on me. Most Kubrick films do. And it's weird, I want to be in a certain mood to go find the Shining and watch it. But, if I see it on tv, even if I'm not in that mood...I can't seem to turn away from it. It drags me in, and puts me in that mood. It's weird.

BUT, The Thing honestly had the same effect on me (thinking about it for days afterward). Mostly because of the perfect puzzle it sets up at the end. That end scene is honestly one of the best scenes ever put on film, imo. The atmosphere, the lighting (fire and dark and snow), the music, even the sound of the wood crackling in the fire. The way Macready and Childs were both acting so very odd. Is Childs the thing? Is macready the thing? Why isn't Child's breath visible? Why did Macready chuckle and the music kick in right when Childs drank that whiskey? Was that whiskey a molatov cocktail? Why does Childs ask are "you" the only 1 who made it? Why not are "we" the only ones that made it? What happens right after the scene cuts away?

It's just so good!

The Shining had the same effect on me. Most Kubrick films do. And it's weird, I want to be in a certain mood to go find the Shining and watch it. But, if I see it on tv, even if I'm not in that mood...I can't seem to turn away from it. It drags me in, and puts me in that mood. It's weird.

BUT, The Thing honestly had the same effect on me (thinking about it for days afterward). Mostly because of the perfect puzzle it sets up at the end. That end scene is honestly one of the best scenes ever put on film, imo. The atmosphere, the lighting (fire and dark and snow), the music, even the sound of the wood crackling in the fire. The way Macready and Childs were both acting so very odd. Is Childs the thing? Is macready the thing? Why isn't Child's breath visible? Why did Macready chuckle and the music kick in right when Childs drank that whiskey? Was that whiskey a molatov cocktail? Why does Childs ask are "you" the only 1 who made it? Why not are "we" the only ones that made it? What happens right after the scene cuts away?

It's just so good!

You know, it's really been quite a while since I last watched The Thing so I should probably revisit it before I get too deep into a conversation about it. Maybe I'll watch it this week and chime back in.

You know, it's really been quite a while since I last watched The Thing so I should probably revisit it before I get too deep into a conversation about it. Maybe I'll watch it this week and chime back in.

It's a very good movie. Not Ghosts of Mars good, but still very good.

I read a pretty good bit and I've had a King book for awhile and never got around to reading it. Iirc it's Dreamscapes & Nightmares or something like that. No clue if that's one of his better works or not. But I seriously need to get around to reading at least something of his. He's one of the most popular authors of the 20th century and I've still never read 1 word of his. Which is weird because I love that genre. I have Edgar Allan Poe's entire works in 1 book, and I've read a lot of that. Just no King.

Nightmares & Dreamscapes is a collection of short stories.

If that is the book that you have then the stories that I would recommend reading are:

The Ten O' Clock People

Crouch End

Rainy season

You Know They Got A Hell of a Band

Suffer the Little Children

Dolan's Cadillac

Home Delivery

Popsy

Ive got a King collection called Full dark, no stars thats pretty good.

Back