The Shining or The Thing?

Pick 1

• Total voters

Agent Mulder's Hair

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's a bitter cold, stormy winter night. You and your girl are snowed in and stuck in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere. Nothing but snow and ice around for miles. Your girl loves horror films and can be quiet and actually watch an entire movie closely. She has never seen either of these films and doesn't know anything about them. U can only choose 1 of these 2 films to show her. Which one do u pick?

I really wish Kubrick would have made a movie closer to the novel. I read the novel before I saw the flick, and it just bothered me seeing it after I read the book.

Great movie, no doubt, but I couldn't appreciate it as much knowing all the things it changed. Not the movies fault, but hey, that's just the way it is.

tempted to go with the Thing due to it's visceral nature buuuuutttt.....
nah, the Shining was Kubrick at his best.
cast, setting, script etc.
top tier IMO

The Thing is one of my all time favorites so it get's my vote.

Off topic, when I was 18 I worked at a grocery store with Danny Lloyd who played Danny Torrance in The Shining.

Last edited:
It doesn't get any better than The Thing IMO. But on second thought, if I show it to her I'm probably not getting laid afterwards

The Thing of course.

Starts movie*

It's actually the shitty prequel.

Recieves Ipad*

The Shining scared me so bad that for years I couldn't watch it alone after dark. I watched it recently and it had no power over me.
The Thing holds up waaaaaay better.

I really wish Kubrick would have made a movie closer to the novel. I read the novel before I saw the flick, and it just bothered me seeing it after I read the book.

Great movie, no doubt, but I couldn't appreciate it as much knowing all the things it changed. Not the movies fault, but hey, that's just the way it is.

What are the biggest differences between the two?

What are the biggest differences between the two?

The ending and pacing was the biggest thing for me. I'm not a huge movie guy, and cannot articulate properly what I feel, so here is a cheap video that shows some of the blatantantly wrong things in the movie. Jack is just a different beast altogether in the movie.

http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=64780

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shining_(film)#Comparison_with_the_novel

To continue. Jack doesn't be show his change in the movie. He seemed off from the start, and the hotel never got the chance to shine, like in Movies where a certain location has a sort of "demonic" possession. Such as type movies like The Legend of Hell House and Burnt Offerings

Last edited:
The ending and pacing was the biggest thing for me. I'm not a huge movie guy, and cannot articulate properly what I feel, so here is a cheap video that shows some of the blatantantly wrong things in the movie. Jack is just a different beast altogether in the movie.

http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=64780

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shining_(film)#Comparison_with_the_novel

I've seen videos where stephen king is talking about how different the movie is from his book and how much he dislikes the movie.

1 thing that stuck with me was him describing the movie as cold. He said his book was not cold. He says this is illustrated by the way jack dies by fire in the book, but freezes to death in the movie.

tempted to go with the Thing due to it's visceral nature buuuuutttt.....
nah, the Shining was Kubrick at his best.
cast, setting, script etc.
top tier IMO

Gotta agree here. People talk about 2001 a lot, but IMHO The Shining is Kubrick's Magnum Opus. I also think it's the greatest horror film ever made. Not the scariest, just the best piece of art in the genre. Sure it departed significantly from the source material, but it really should have been billed as Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, not Stephen King's The Shining.

Gotta agree here. People talk about 2001 a lot, but IMHO The Shining is Kubrick's Magnum Opus. I also think it's the greatest horror film ever made. Not the scariest, just the best piece of art in the genre. Sure it departed significantly from the source material, but it really should have been billed as Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, not Stephen King's The Shining.
excellent analysis IMO, well said.

I've seen videos where stephen king is talking about how different the movie is from his book and how much he dislikes the movie.

1 thing that stuck with me was him describing the movie as cold. He said his book was not cold. He says this is illustrated by the way jack dies by fire in the book, but freezes to death in the movie.
I think that is hubris. The novel didn't seem warm or alive to me lol. Many things were changed, and there seemed to be no character progression for Jack in the movie. In the west we love our kids. So Danny took the forefront in the movie, where he wasn't so fleshed out in the book.

Back