The Shining or The Thing?

Pick 1

• Total voters
Tough one....I'll go with The Shining only cause of the female nudity lol.

The Thing is 6/10 at best, The Shining is one of the greatest films of all time.

All right, I just rewatched The Thing.

And upon this second viewing, my opinion of the film is about the same as it was the first time I saw it. That is, that I think it's a very good sci-fi horror mystery, with some insanely awesome practical effects, that makes some interesting observations about human psychology, paranoia, and the effect that trust (or a lack thereof) has on human relationships.

However, to the film's detriment I also felt like some things were a bit fuzzy, such as how exactly the Thing infected each person. What SEEMED to be the idea in the film was that it had to make physical contact with a person to take them over. However, the characters were acting like it wasn't as cut-and-dry as that. But it seemed to me, especially once they devised their blood test, that getting rid of the Thing once and for all should be simple: Test everyone and those who failed get burned. Then the Thing is dead. Or did I miss something?

In any case, while I did enjoy this film, I have to stand by my previous statement that The Shining is a superior film that provokes a lot more questions and allows for much deeper analysis.

In fact, I'd have to think hard on where exactly I feel like The Thing falls even in a ranking of Carpenter films. Big Trouble in Little China definitely is ahead of it, and I would go ahead and put They Live ahead of it as well. Maybe The Thing is #3, but Escape from New York can also make an argument for that position.

Attn: @Agent Mulder's Hair @Mike @TheRuthlessOne

I like the thing better but was expecting the shining to win the poll. And it's funny that the thing is winning by a large margin, but most of the discussion itt has been about the shining lol
I was shocked by this poll many years ago that said Leonardo was the most popular ninja turtle by a landslide. That title should be held by Mikey or Raph every time, all the time.

Sherdog polls can be super surprising sometimes. I guess that's what happens when a bunch of anonymous strangers from all over the world get together.

I was shocked by this poll many years ago that said Leonardo was the most popular ninja turtle by a landslide. That title should be held by Mikey or Raph every time, all the time.

Sherdog polls can be super surprising sometimes. I guess that's what happens when a bunch of anonymous strangers from all over the world get together.

Leo? lol no. Should be Raphael for sure

And upon this second viewing, my opinion of the film is about the same as it was the first time I saw it. That is, that I think it's a very good sci-fi horror mystery, with some insanely awesome practical effects, that makes some interesting observations about human psychology, paranoia, and the effect that trust (or a lack thereof) has on human relationships.

However, to the film's detriment I also felt like some things were a bit fuzzy, such as how exactly the Thing infected each person. What SEEMED to be the idea in the film was that it had to make physical contact with a person to take them over. However, the characters were acting like it wasn't as cut-and-dry as that. But it seemed to me, especially once they devised their blood test, that getting rid of the Thing once and for all should be simple: Test everyone and those who failed get burned. Then the Thing is dead. Or did I miss something?

In any case, while I did enjoy this film, I have to stand by my previous statement that The Shining is a superior film that provokes a lot more questions and allows for much deeper analysis.

In fact, I'd have to think hard on where exactly I feel like The Thing falls even in a ranking of Carpenter films. Big Trouble in Little China definitely is ahead of it, and I would go ahead and put They Live ahead of it as well. Maybe The Thing is #3, but Escape from New York can also make an argument for that position.

Well I'm glad you rewatched it SP. Hate to hear you didn't love it as much as I did. But I respect your opinion as always. Even if it's WRONG! :D

The thing is better then BTILC and TheyLive

other then that 100% agree with this

The thing is better then BTILC and TheyLive

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Big Trouble in Little China is just way too wacky and entertaining--it's too goddamn fun!--for me to put it anywhere but the top. Jack Burton is one of the greatest characters of all time and Wang is a GOAT sidekick. The melding of East and West is fascinating. The action is incredible. The dialogue is imminently quotable. Plus, Egg Shen has his Six Demon Bag, you can't forget that:

Big Trouble is easily one of my favorite films of all time.

As for They Live, it may not be a better movie than The Thing on a technical or performance level, but the message in that movie is simply far too relevant and accurate to our times. As for Roddy said in those tweets, it's like a fucking documentary!

Watched both recently. The Thing is the better of the two in my opinion. The Shining gets a bit too over the top and loses some creepiness that the slow build up created. I never noticed the guy in the dog suit has a Prince style exposed ass on the suit. That scene was creepier in the vhs days when it wasn't as clear.

The Thing sucks. Talk about overrated. Come at me Bros.

giphy.gif

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Big Trouble in Little China is just way too wacky and entertaining--it's too goddamn fun!--for me to put it anywhere but the top. Jack Burton is one of the greatest characters of all time and Wang is a GOAT sidekick. The melding of East and West is fascinating. The action is incredible. The dialogue is imminently quotable. Plus, Egg Shen has his Six Demon Bag, you can't forget that:

Big Trouble is easily one of my favorite films of all time.

As for They Live, it may not be a better movie than The Thing on a technical or performance level, but the message in that movie is simply far too relevant and accurate to our times. As for Roddy said in those tweets, it's like a fucking documentary!

You should re-watch it and then make a tawdry thread about it.......

If that bitch has never seen The Shining, I wouldn't be with the cunt.

The job I had before the one I have now, I was telling these young kids that worked there that one of the managers looked like the cook from The Shining. They had no idea what I was talking about. I was disgusted. They didn't know what a chia pet was either.

I thought for sure The Shining would've been the front runner.

Back