Social The return of overt Racism in English Football

Big money ruined football. When your hometown club is represented by 20 foreign players, people lose the connection with it. I believe these racist acts are more of a way for some people to express their displeasure than actual racism. If Red Star Belgrade would put10 foreign players on the pitch, I'd never watch another game in my life, I wouldn't care if they won the Champions League.

Big money has ruined football, absolutely.

But I'm seeing football fans in England abuse non white players who are English and representing England, not just foreign players. That in particular makes me think this is racially motivated and not just fans losing touch with their teams.

It never left, in Belgium at least.

Don't really follow Belgian football outside of the top teams, but for some reason this really surprised me.

It never went away , the overt expression of it has been fairly well suppressed in the Premiership that's all .

Hey, I even made a joke between us a little while ago about the "town full of P****" chant, and I think we both know how common that is, especially towards the lower leagues.

Find the fan, eject him or her, ban them from holding tickets. Problem solved.
_104715435_download-2.png

While racism in football still persists, it has fallen a lot since the 1980s - according to Prof Ellis Cashmore, a sociologist and expert in football racism, at Aston University:

"Today's racism is nowhere near the level of the 1980s and it's extraordinary that it still clings to this sport given it is so diverse.

"But in football there seems to be a preservation of a racist tradition," he says.

Racist abuse, he says, started to become less common in the 1990s as more world-class players from abroad were recruited by English clubs - but the problem resurfaced in the early 2000s.
Yawn. I find it interesting that "racism", a broad concept, is implicitly treated as if it only has a distinct white-vs-all-other-races value in articles like this one.

Racism tends to be at its lowest in predominantly white countries, but okay.

But I can't decipher the reason for it. I refuse to believe it's just sports rivalry getting too heated

It's not a mystery. The reason is racism. It exists. It will always exist. Now, there are different factors in these instances. It is partly do to sports rivalries, which brings out passionate hecklers, and some will "go there" simply because it's a cheap shot. It's the sucker punch of heckling.

Weird. No I don't. I just tell the truth, and some people can't handle it.

The far lefties use your line there to discredit me, but it's not true. I was raised in mixed families, so I'm not afraid to be honest. That lack of fear is really a lack of racism, which is why I get along so well with black people irl.
Like 90% of your posts are rants about black men. I'm a Libertarian btw and I also have a mixed family. Somehow most of my thread topics don't revolve around turning an unrelated topic into a rant against black men. Weird.

Unless you kneel.
<mma4>

But that would be the athletes bringing that upon themselves. Those flag kneelers won't do an on field protest against the criminal element in urban black communities. They don't want to unite as one country, they want to protest racist police when they should be uniting under the flag and the anthem.

Last edited:
Like 90% of your posts are rants about black men.
Yeah ok you want to be delusional and lie. Have fun. While you're in the mood to be delusional and lie, keep pretending you see overt racism at American sporting events. Guess what? I know you haven't. Have a nice day.

I will kill to be an explosive and athletic footballer in Europe. I get paid millions of Euros, and get to have mandingo parties with white women. The overt racism be the last thing on my mind.

I am sure these guys dont feel sorry for themselves, so no need for your sympathy broseph.

Point taken, and I know Sterling and Aubameyang laughed it off. But it's these repeated incidents that will have negative effects on the rest of the league and on those of us who follow it. Some people will take any ammo they can get to shit on football and those of us who follow it, even if the perpetrators are a tiny minority.

Not to mention shit like this makes world class foreign players less likely to come and play here.

Big money ruined football. When your hometown club is represented by 20 foreign players, people lose the connection with it. I believe these racist acts are more of a way for some people to express their displeasure than actual racism. If Red Star Belgrade would put10 foreign players on the pitch, I'd never watch another game in my life, I wouldn't care if they won the Champions League.

I get the disconnect between fans and clubs that have become the plaything of foreign billionaires , but unless your putting out a team of home town boys/fans of the club most of them will be potential badge kissing judases .

Yeah ok you want to be delusional and lie. Have fun. While you're in the mood to be delusional and lie, keep pretending you see overt racism at American sporting events. Guess what? I know you haven't. Have a nice day.
Don't let the door hit you creep.

I'm no lip reader, but the dude has come out and said he called Sterling a 'Manc Cunt' rather than a 'Black Cunt', which would make everything alright. Manc Cunt is pretty common footballing language but I can't really tell from the footage

Lots a people saying Sterling gets badly treated by the tabloids because he's black too. Sterling does get dogs abuse from the media and it's shameful but not sure it's because he's black. They're all over the nuts of people like AJ, Hamilton and Kante for example and there are countless black footballers in the Premiership who don't get the attention Sterling does. I'd guess it's because he left Liverpool (Media darlings) for moneybags Man City

Last edited:
I'm no lip reader, but the dude has come out and said he called Sterling a 'Manc Cunt' rather than a 'Black Cunt', which would make everything alright. Manc Cunt is pretty common footballing language but I can't really tell from the footage

Lots a people saying Sterling gets badly treated by the tabloids because he's black too. Sterling does get dogs abuse from the media and it's shameful but not sure it's because he's black. They're all over the nuts of people like AJ, Hamilton and Kante for example and there are countless black footballers in the Premiership who don't get the attention Sterling does.
Doesn't help that Chelsea fans have a history of racism, I am not sure what he said for sure but it wouldn't be the first time. Bale (white, from wales footballer) also got a banana thrown at him which I almost find hilarious because the guy definitely looks like a monkey.

Hey, I even made a joke between us a little while ago about the "town full of P****" chant, and I think we both know how common that is, especially towards the lower leagues.

Some people don't know where to draw the line and excuse everything as banter , probably cant see the difference between that and calling West Ham fans pikeys .

TBH though Chelsea fans are known racist. North Londoners are notorious for this sort of behaviour.
@Davey Crockett

Lots a people saying Sterling gets badly treated by the tabloids because he's black too. Sterling does get dogs abuse from the media and it's shameful but not sure it's because he's black. They're all over the nuts of people like AJ, Hamilton and Kante for example and there are countless black footballers in the Premiership who don't get the attention Sterling does. I'd guess it's because he left Liverpool (Media darlings) for moneybags Man City

That's not the case that was never the case. Stop reading The Sun.

Don't know much about this Sterling incident other than hearing about the whole world jumping on this guy for being racist prior to actually hearing or knowing anything about the story - just by going off a mute clip. Abuse happens in Football. It's pathetic and it's cringeworthy. I've been to different countries and different continents just to watch the sport, top tier all the way to the bottom tier. I, personally have never heard or seen racism happen, so to say "there is a huge problem" isn't accurate imo. If one idiot inside a 60 thousand seater stadium, once in a blue moon, throws a banana at a player, he's the problem. Not the Sport.

This is just the media and society continuing their game of dumbing things down as per. Soon, swearing and any form of "MANC CUNT" / types of abuse at opposing players will be outlawed. This is obviously been done by striking the fear of potentially being labeled as a racist.

FYI I was there and clapped both sides off after seeing my team lose in the 94th minute on Sunday. I believe there's something wrong with people mentally that abuse any other human beings for sporting reasons. But at the same time, this is football culture and I'm not about to start calling for people that do this to lose their jobs and have their life ruined.

(It's already dying) But football will die completely once stadiums are filled with people sat on their hands, refusing (too scared) to say anything and watching players earning close to a million pounds a month knock a ball around a pitch.

Racism has pretty much jumped the shark for me. For the past few years so many things have been called racist that it’s hard for me to really care anymore about the next racist thing.

Wouldn't the Sun be the only tabloid that aren't on Liverpool's balls at the moment?

Have you seen the abuse The Guardian, The Telegraph, Daily Mail, Metro have thrown at us recently?

Back