Social The return of overt Racism in English Football

You would get your ass kicked in the US for doing that.

I knew the British would get absolutely smashed by them Russians.

Them out of shape Brit's with their beer belly's who think they're hard as fuck in their groups.

The Russians were actually full on MMA training taking it dead seriously.

So you predicted the triumph of one group of wankpuffins over another , well done you .

It never left, in Belgium at least.
Same in the Netherlands. Weird thing is that I have seen people who I wouldn't consider racist, say the most disgusting racist shit in the crowd during a match. It's like being there brings the worst out of people.

NFL, NBA, MLB in the USA doesn't really have this problem. Sports brings the different ethnicities together to cheer for their team.
Yeah it's surprising how American sports does not have a racism problem , from fans hurling abuse at players. This is an issue in Europe, especially Southern and Eastern Europe. Scotland used to have sectarian / ethnic bigotry during Rangers and Celtics matches; not sure if the sectarian chanting/songs are still a feature??

Scotland used to have sectarian / ethnic bigotry during Rangers and Celtics matches; not sure if the sectarian chanting/songs are still a feature??

The hardcore fans/ultras of those two clubs will never stop hating each other. Celtic in particular have been fined by UEFA several times in the past few years, mostly because of crowd trouble caused by the green brigade's antics (chanting, banners, attacking rival fans etc.,)

It's the culture of the area, same as with Boca/River, Partizan/Red Star, Galatasaray/Fenerbahce, Roma/Lazio. These derbies are about far more than football, if anything the football is just a front for the hatred.

The passion is one of the best things about football, but it's a double edged sword as when people go too far, it shames the game.

Last edited:
I don't understand what the fuss is all about as what happened to Sterling is what happens at more or less every football game around the world. Whether its directed at a black player or not, supporters of the opposition team will be aggressive and abusive, nothing has changed.

what a false thread title...

Sterling supposedly got abuse from one person in the crowd . Nobody knows what was said.
Yes one person , who has been hounded by the media non stop.

The banana skin was flung on the pitch at a bunch of players , by one person..
was it aimed at aubamayang? who knows?

clearly an SJW who wants an attention seeking thread .

Sterling supposedly got abuse from one person in the crowd . Nobody knows what was said.

Well there have been two high profile cases of players being racially abused within a week.

It may only be a minority of idiots doing it, but clearly the atmosphere is tolerant of players been racially abused if fans feel free to do it without reprisal.

I don't think that's attention seeking, it's significant in a sport that has historically had problems with this kind of thing.

The hardcore fans/ultras of those two clubs will never stop hating each other. Celtic in particular have been fined by UEFA several times in the past few years, mostly because of crowd trouble caused by the green brigade's antics (chanting, banners, attacking rival fans etc.,)

It's the culture of the area, same as with Boca/River, Partizan/Red Star, Galatasaray/Fenerbahce, Roma/Lazio. These derbies are about far more than football, if anything the football is just a front for the hatred.

The passion is one of the best things about football, but it's a double edged sword as when people go too far, it shames the game.
Lazio is infamous for its ultras and fascist sympathies. And who can forget the infamous photograph of Paolo Di Canio giving the Roman salute (or fascist / Nazi salute, depending on one's perceptions). Di Canio came over to you guys and coached one your teams, can't recal which one. I have no ill will towards him; despite his strongly suspected fascist sympathies, he didn't have an issue coaching Black players in England.

Barca is aligned with anti fascists and Real Madrid supporters are assumed to show some sympathy towards the Franco era.

All a player has to do is claim they received racial taunts and it's taken as fact. One drunk in the crowd shouting racial abuse, if even true, being made an issue is a farce.

Lazio is infamous for its ultras and fascist sympathies. And who can forget the infamous photograph of Paolo Di Canio giving the Roman salute (or fascist / Nazi salute, depending on one's perceptions). Di Canio came over to you guys and coached one your teams, can't recal which one. I have no ill will towards him; despite his strongly suspected fascist sympathies, he didn't have an issue coaching Black players in England.

Barca is aligned with anti fascists and Real Madrid supporters are assumed to show some sympathy towards the Franco era.

Yeah he managed Sunderland for a bit, I think Di Canio just liked to court controversy, was always an interesting character.

Lazio's an interesting one and also their ties to the far right/ultras cost them the signing of one of the worlds best defenders in the early 00s. Lilian Thuram refused to sign for them due to abuse he'd suffered from a minority of their fans.

The racism is seen as trivial amongst some fans, but has real world consequences for the clubs if not stamped out. It shows the idiocy of fans when they'd happily abuse Thuram whilst playing for another team, then complain when he chose Juventus over them.

Yeah it's surprising how American sports does not have a racism problem , from fans hurling abuse at players. This is an issue in Europe, especially Southern and Eastern Europe. Scotland used to have sectarian / ethnic bigotry during Rangers and Celtics matches; not sure if the sectarian chanting/songs are still a feature??

11a72b80c26a80f3dbd34bd5142cc310

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Lee_Rigby

There is a history of White fans throwing banana skins at Black players. So this isn't an isolated incident, which is why it is very likely the act was done out of racial animus.

There is a history of White fans throwing banana skins at Black players. So this isn't an isolated incident, which is why it is very likely the act was done out of racial animus.

The bloke involved is claiming it wasn't racially motivated and that the banana skin was just the closest thing at hand to throw , he also made a lot of being a Greek Cypriot like not being English precluded the possibility of being racist .

The bloke involved is claiming it wasn't racially motivated and that the banana skin was just the closest thing at hand to throw , he also made a lot of being a Greek Cypriot like not being English precluded the possibility of being racist .

Yeah I don't buy it. I've seen coins, mobile phones etc., thrown at players in anger but even if I was in a right state I would have the wherewithal to see a banana and think "you know, the optics of throwing this at black players would be really bad"

Back